News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Why are these steering column mounting nuts/washers so funky?

Started by bull, February 20, 2012, 03:12:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

And are there supposed to be three sets for the three mounting locations? I've only got two sets and there's a type of speed nut at the rear mounting location which leads me to believe that one probably gets a bolt.. :shruggy: Whatever was in the rear mounting spot was MIA when I got the car.

bull

Just found this pic online. Looks like two serrated funky nuts, three funky washers and a bolt.

resq302

The serated part of the nut holds that special washer tight so it does not get loose and vibrate off.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

bull

Quote from: resq302 on February 20, 2012, 03:34:51 PM
The serated part of the nut holds that special washer tight so it does not get loose and vibrate off.

Yea. But wouldn't a regular old lock washer do the same? They use the regular stuff everywhere else on the car. :shruggy: It's just odd to me that these are so unusual compared to everything else.

resq302

yes but figure two or three lock washers extra per car would add up.  Chrysler wanted to get these out as fast as possible as cheap as possible.  Reason why they were not used on the rest of the car probably was because it was not a safety issue.  Picture the nuts getting loose and falling off.  Your steering column would be all over the place effecting your driveability.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto