News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Blue_Ray Player update?

Started by hemi68charger, February 18, 2012, 09:42:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

OK gang..
Guess I'm showing my age, but what the heck is it about having to update your Blue-Ray player? Is it true? I bought a Sony Blue-Ray BDP-S300 3 years ago, bought a "then-new" Blue Ray and it worked fine... Then, Kim rents two Blue-Ray movies and they don't work.. Someone mentions to me it needs to be updated? Then, even if I find the freeware update from Sony, how do you get it in the player? Told ya.... Showing my age.......  :icon_smile_big:

Thanks in advance..
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

404NOTFOUND

I went through the exact same thing. Of course, I don't remember how I did the update at all except that it is possible and fairly easy. I have a Samsung. Check the Sony website.
My 1969 Charger. RIP......Rest in pieces.

Fred

Update the Blu-ray? what! I just spent over AU$1000. on a Panosonic  Blu-ray recorder and there was no mention of having to update. If I have to replace it I'll be spittin' chips!
I didn't ever have to up date the dvd recorder so what's going on?

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

404NOTFOUND

The update is required to run a certain movie that is more advanced than your machine. You can do the update right away at home by going on the website from the company that made your player. That's all I can remember though. I did it once and have never had to do it again so far.
My 1969 Charger. RIP......Rest in pieces.

bakerhillpins

I have a Sony unit and every blue moon I have to update its software to keep it current. This is the way it works now folks. The player is actually a small embedded PC that requires updates to take advantage of new feature content that is programmed into the blu ray discs.

Connect your player to the Net by plugging in an Ethernet cable and connecting to your home network. Some of the new ones are wireless but you will need to go into setup to connect to it. Turn on your blu ray player and go into the main menu for the system (no disc in the unit) and go the the Setup option. In the Setup menu you should see an option for Network Update. Select this. It will try to connect and automatically update if needed. I just asked mine to do this and it responded with "Already Updated" so I have the most current firmware for the unit.

If you don't have NET access from your unit I believe you can write an update file downloaded from the Sony website to a CDROM or DVD and just shove it into the unit and it will update from there.

Good luck, any specific questions just PM me.  :2thumbs:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Inked_Ghandi

:iagree:  All of my blu-ray players are plugged into the internet so they can update when need be.
"It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile, winning is winning."

USAF AMMO

hemi68charger

Quote from: Inked_Ghandi on February 19, 2012, 11:21:14 AM
:iagree:  All of my blu-ray players are plugged into the internet so they can update when need be.

AMMO !!!!!!   Oh man........ I'm a LOADER !!!!   :smilielol:
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

Fred

Quote from: bakerhillpins on February 19, 2012, 09:32:52 AM
I have a Sony unit and every blue moon I have to update its software to keep it current. This is the way it works now folks. The player is actually a small embedded PC that requires updates to take advantage of new feature content that is programmed into the blu ray discs.

Connect your player to the Net by plugging in an Ethernet cable and connecting to your home network. Some of the new ones are wireless but you will need to go into setup to connect to it. Turn on your blu ray player and go into the main menu for the system (no disc in the unit) and go the the Setup option. In the Setup menu you should see an option for Network Update. Select this. It will try to connect and automatically update if needed. I just asked mine to do this and it responded with "Already Updated" so I have the most current firmware for the unit.

If you don't have NET access from your unit I believe you can write an update file downloaded from the Sony website to a CDROM or DVD and just shove it into the unit and it will update from there.

Thanks a heap for the info.   :2thumbs:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Inked_Ghandi

Hemi68charger we must duel now.   :cheers:  :smilielol:
"It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile, winning is winning."

USAF AMMO

BananaDan

In addition to new features and content, it also requires updates related to the copy protection (DRM) mechanisms Blu-Ray uses.  Blu-Ray content is encrypted and uses AACS to manage the decryption of the content.  The encryption keys used on the content require updates from time to time because keys don't live forever and require refreshing.  Also, new content could be encrypted with newer keys that likely didn't exist when your BD player was manufactured, so it doesn't know how to decrypt the content.  The other thing they can do is revoke keys that have been compromised (cracked) so that key is no longer valid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Access_Content_System
*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Fred on February 19, 2012, 07:58:53 PM
Thanks a heap for the info.   :2thumbs:

Not a problem! Glad it was useful.  :cheers:
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein

ODZKing

Yep, my Sony Blu-Ray has an option to either automaticly update or do it manually.  Mine happens to have wireless access and all of the bells and whistles like Pandora and You Tube to mention a few.  Thought it was worth the $30 extra dollars when we got it.  It should be in your menu somewhere.
If not I'm certain it had a USB port on it.
Quote from: bakerhillpins on February 19, 2012, 09:32:52 AM

hemi68charger

One more thing... I'm taking it if I have a burner on my computer that states DVD-R that putting a CD-R in it will result in, "NOT WORKING"

Grrrrrr.. It seems I got blank CD's to burn and my computer has a DVD reader/burner... Soooooooo, I guess I need to go get blank DVD's?

Troy

bakerhillpins

Quote from: hemi68charger on February 20, 2012, 07:53:24 PM
One more thing... I'm taking it if I have a burner on my computer that states DVD-R that putting a CD-R in it will result in, "NOT WORKING"

Grrrrrr.. It seems I got blank CD's to burn and my computer has a DVD reader/burner... Soooooooo, I guess I need to go get blank DVD's?

No, the DVD burner should be able to read and write CDROMs. I would be very surprised if it didn't.

96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire