News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

AMD sheetmetal shipping failures

Started by Indygenerallee, February 19, 2012, 11:19:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Indygenerallee

Well I have to vent so I thought I would see if anyone else has had parts come from AMD damaged, First off I ordered my tail panel, trunk drop offs, valance, crossmember, one piece trunk floor, corners, outer wheel houses and received everything in perfect shape! My next order was for my full quarters, rear filler (dutchman panel) and lower filler plenum and trunk gutters, well I received them last Friday and get everything unboxed with the driver watching and everything was good until I got to the passenger side quarter panel and it has a dent in the middle of the quarter about the size of a basketball and right in the main body line no problem send it back and get another well the truck driver informs me that since everything was shipped in one massive box that it ALL has to be shipped back!!! WTF???? I call the seller and he called AMD and they said I had to reject the whole shipment!! OK I did anyway this past Friday truck drops the big box off again open it up and I was about ready to flip the quarter panel "boxes" if you can call them that were dirty and looked walked on and the rope that holds the boxes together was not even tied!? pull them out and the passenger side quarter has a big dent in the same place!!!! almost looked like the same quarter!!! I am super pissed at this point and in my opinion AMD has a crappy shipping dept. for the size and weight of these quarters they should be in their own boxes without the gutters and other panels inside the same box loose!! Anybody else had any problems with AMD shipping? Hopefully third time is the charm in this case because I need these quarters so I can start putting my 69 Charger back together!!!
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

superbirdtom

welcome to the world of any auto sheetmetal that is shipped. our  body shop in Alaska has had this problem for 25 years .  rule of tthumb is that  the further away you are thats where they send known damaged parts.  we have our vendors now inspect each piece and wrap in gobs of bubble wrap and put in real thick boxes.  some manufactuers that drop ship still have crappy boxes with no protection.  volvo is definetly the best.very thick box with big rubber formed corners.   

But even so dented parts get thrown in  from the factory, some boob probably making his quota.  some parts come with spray foam holding the  parts in place,this is something AMD should adopt.  their covered in plastic first so their frozen in the box.  weve always believed they send the crappy metal up here cause its 2 weeks to a month to get one back here. so we have to fix a lot of them.       a dent the size of basketball is unacceptable.   so thanks  for letting us know that AMD is one of those shippers.   We will make sure theyre on notice when we get our roof -quarters etc -ordered here soon for 70 charge resto.  and know    your not alone.   you just have to demand better packing period.

Silver R/T

Haven't ordered anything from AMD but I did order Goodmark 1/4 before and there was a dent in the panel, nothing too bad though and I fixed it. Most of aftermarket panels come "predented" so you have to be careful lol
I think panels could've been dented before they came to distributor and distributor just sent you whatever he had, he's not going to check each and every panel.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Indygenerallee

Yeah, I fully understand if it has a couple of small dents thats no problem but to get TWO quarters and its the same one both times!!  :RantExplode: And like I said the boxes were dirty and they were a mess it looked as if they shipped me the same ones I had rejected!! and these were shipped directly from AMD in Georgia to Indiana. Heck even the truck driver said the quarter panels looked like the same ones he had dropped off the week beforethe minute I opened the main box after he saw how beat and dirty the boxes were! Im gonna blow a gasket and call AMD myself if they are damaged when they come this next Friday!

Patronus

Send em back until you get clean ones.  :Twocents:
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

gtx6970

depending on where in Indiana you could drive to Ted Stehens place in Alabama ( just south of Nashville Tenn) and pick up a large order like this

Indygenerallee

I am about 3 hours north of the Kentucky border, this far along I will just ride it out and hope to God I get a set that are not beat to crap from the factory!

elitecustombody

Who did you buy your parts from? I know AMD had a batch of  quarters that had a bad spot below the sail panel,can't remember which side. But Alan @AMD informed me of this before I even placed an order for a customer and will only sell them at discounted price if someone is willing to fix the bad spot .The spot by his words just needs some blocking. I have yet to see a picture of it or hear about it from any of my customers.

AMD-Auto Metal Direct  Distributor, email me for all your shetmetal needs

Stefan

Indygenerallee

Adeals, The sail panel area I happened to glance at when I was wrapping it back up had some "ripples" in it I could have lived with it but I am not accepting any panels with huge dents!! I noticed on the same panel below the bottom body line behind the wheel well it had numerous small little dents. Almost looked like trash had got in the die when they stamped it, again I could have lived with those smaller imperfections but I guess when you get your hopes too high there has to be something to smash them back down!!  It will get worked out hopefully sooner than later!!

elitecustombody

Have your dealer deal with this. AMD usually take care of this type situations very quickly.I've been selling AMD parts for over 3 year and can count all times  dealing with damaged parts on one hand,it doesn't happen often,but if it does,AMD has never left me or my customer hanging

Stefan

Indygenerallee

Yeah he called AMD the first time and was pretty pissed when they told him I had to send it all back instead of just the damaged quarter and he has kept in contact with me through the ordeal, I did not have one bit of problem with the AMD fenders they came and were perfect (had one little stamping flaw) but no huge dents. The dealer I bought them off of asked what I wanted to do this past Friday though and I said I want my parts!  :smilielol: being the second reject I guess he thought I wanted him to refund my money but I just want the dang quarters so bad I can taste them!!!

Lennard

I have bought every part you see missing from this body from AMD(at http://www.521restorations.com/index.pl?page=home)  and everything arrived at my house in perfect shape.
The two full quarters came in their own box that was inside another box that was made out of cardboard so thick that it almost felt like wood.(in pic in front of the Charger)
If stuff is damaged it is not AMD that puts it in the box like that but the shipping company that is not carefull enough with your parts. :Twocents:

sportony

No experience with AMD, BUT........ I did have significant problems with Sherman. Bought a valance panel and trunk floors for a 70 cuda, and it was creased in two places (trunk floors and valance shipped in same box).  Had it sent back and they shipped me another valance panel that again was creased.  Flimsy box with nothing more than some bubble wrap to protect the metal inside. I was upset because I paid a pretty penny in shipping alone, and felt I should have received a better quality product. 

After the second time, I just gave up on Sherman and switched to Goodmark.  The box and packing were noticeably better.  Thicker cardboard box with corrugated cardboard padding inside.  No damage to panel.

elitecustombody

I just don't see why anyone tell you to reject the whole shipment,especially after the driver has left and you already went through all the boxes. As Lennard mentioned, most of AMD parts are double-boxed and the boxes they use are not very easy to damage,they are very sturdy. I lost count on how many AMD Charger parts I've sold over the years to build complete AMD Chargers,RoadRunners,Challenges and Cudas   :smilielol: You shouldn't have to ship the whole order back. And if there is a problem,they will send you a new part   

Stefan

Indygenerallee

The shipping company along WITH AMD said since it was all packed in one box it was itemized as (1) part number and the whole shipment has to be rejected to be sent back which is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of (guy I bought it from said it made no sense either)  "Lennard"
my car looks like yours except my roof was good and I replaced the rear crossmember and driver rail from shock brace rearward, this "1" box I keep receiveing directly from AMD has both full quarters, rear filler panel, rear filler plenum, and trunk gutters! And BOTH times I have rejected it due to damage that was done by AMD!!! The outside of the box has not had a scratch on it!!! I told the seller the quarters should BOTH be in seperate boxes to minimize damage but he has no say because AMD is the one doing the boxing, Also the truck has never "left" it with me the driver stood there and watched me opening it and go through everything.

NorwayCharger

I run a bodyshop that have the same issue with all manufactures. (VW, Toyota, etc )
About 20-30 % of sheetmetal have some dings and dents.
Some from the factory, some from the supplier and some from shipping.
I have just accepted it  :shruggy:
AKA the drummer boy
http://www.pink-division.com

Indygenerallee

Norwaycharger, I understand panels having small imperfections I can live with that but I am not fixing a basketball sized dent in the main bodyline all the way to the top of the quarter panel! if you like fixing major damage on new pieces more power to you but for what I payed for these quarter panels I don't think I should be repairing a 1/2" deep dent!

MORFF

Indygenerallee I do not know where you are from but I am in connecuit I found www.autobodyspecialt.com/ I bought all my AMD pannels from them could hand pick all my panels. Maybe can find a place close to you. I drive a hour in a half to get my parts but its worth the time to hand pick my parts. Just a thought
Mike O
A.K.A Dirty O

Semper Fi

Indygenerallee

Yeah that would be super nice if I could do that I am in southwest Indiana and I think there are a couple of places that sell AMD sheetmetal in Indy but from what I was told they don't keep any in stock they just order it and I would have to go get it and Indy is a one hour drive.

Indygenerallee

Well I received my 3rd shipment tonight and found the quarter panels to be in OK shape still not what I was expecting maybe I had my hopes to high in the first place, driver quarter has a minor ding in the main bodyline above wheel opening and a high spot where the rear side window meets roof, Passenger side quarter has some weird stamping defects on the upper top of quarter to side right along the top bodyline kinda warped and about 12 small dents all over and both inner sail panels are wavy, I am keeping them the truck driver said that I had to keep them if I opened the box I called the seller and he said no problem check them out and would help me if anything was damaged, I put them and the rear filler panel on car tonight to see how they fit and they fit really good nice and tight.

Indygenerallee

Indygenerallee

Indygenerallee

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: MORFF on February 21, 2012, 05:55:14 PM
Indygenerallee I do not know where you are from but I am in connecuit I found www.autobodyspecialt.com/ I bought all my AMD pannels from them could hand pick all my panels. Maybe can find a place close to you. I drive a hour in a half to get my parts but its worth the time to hand pick my parts. Just a thought

Same story here. I have about 8k worth of AMD metal and picked it up at the distributors store 2 hours away.