News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Can I weld exhaust pipes with a mig welder?

Started by sixpack_sid, February 20, 2012, 11:41:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixpack_sid

Can I weld exhaust pipes with a mig welder? I would like to weld my exhaust pipe to the collector flange can it be done with a mig welder?

Sid
I have seen evil! I have seen horror!
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

Musicman

I've used my 110 volt Flux/Mig on a couple of my daily drivers ... but never had a lot of sucsess with my 220 volt unit. :shruggy:

Cooter

Yes, but a word of advice...Do not attempt to lay one continuous bead around the pipe. ALOT of spot welds make for no burned through holes.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

elacruze

Yes as Cooter said use small lengths at once.

Also, you should be sure to have excellent ventilation. Toxic metal fumes will be emitted from the coatings.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Kern Dog

The answer is... Of COURSE !
The muffler guy that I use MIGs everything and he does a damn fine job. 220v with Argon. Skip the flux core stuff.  The Argon makes for a cleaner weld with less spatter. He does 3 passes to complete each weld. My advise is to practice with the heat and wire feed settings. Higher heat and slower wire speed equals deeper and stronger welds. I am still learning myself, but the days of my welds looking like popcorn are hopefully over. If I had a pipe bender, I'd be able to do all my own exhaust work. Ahhh.. someday......