News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

rear window channel area?

Started by flyboyedwards, February 19, 2012, 10:07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyboyedwards

Hello All,
I am wondering what the "masses" are doing with the window channels that are rotten? I can't seem to find anyone who makes those sections.
If everyone is making weld in pieces, what gauge steel are you using? Any tips or tricks on how to get it right?
My poor 69 needs some help in this area.
Thanks for the suggestions!!!!
Jason.

b5blue

Jason I bought the replacement dutchman panel and inside edge for both sides of the buttress sweep to repair mine. I've seen guys here fab up small sections.  :scratchchin:

charger_fan_4ever

A new AMD lower window frame and dutchman panel will get you going. You would still need to fab the "inner window frame" in the corner sections.

Indygenerallee

I made new inner rear corners pieces for my car as nobody repops them (which is beyond stupid)
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Cooter

As i was doing a Camaro and a RoadRunner at the same time I was doing my own Charger, I simply custom made mine from the left overs from these two cars. Worked great.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Domino

AMD makes the dutchman panel, but does not make the L and R sail panels...well they do, but are part of the factory quarter skin and not sold separately.  :brickwall:

You can get the stamped sail panels from other repop sources if you look around online.

If you fab, 20 ga sheet metal is good for making these pieces.  22 is too thin.  18 ga is thicker than stock body panels and is too hard to shape.
16 ga matches up with unibody frame/x-member sections pretty well.

b5blue

I got my sail sections from Sherman, they are thinner steel than my dutchman but well formed.  :2thumbs:

Indygenerallee

I don't think he is talking about the sail panels we are talking about the pieces of window channel that the quarter welds onto there are little pieces that are welded to the inner rear roof structure and then connect to the rear window pinchweld lip and then the dutchman panel is welded on top of those pieces are usually toast.

flyboyedwards

I will need to do sail panels as well. I was just looking at where the rear window sits (around the perimeter), and it looks pretty bad in some places.
I don't think the window could stay in it right now.
Since I am somewhat new to this "body work" thing, A couple of you have referred to the "dutchman" panel. Is that the piece between the deck lid and the rear window?
Thanks for the help! You guys(and gals, if there are any) are AWESOME! I LOVE THIS GROUP!  :cheers: :popcrn:

Indygenerallee

rear filler panel/dutchman panel, is between each quarter and below rear glass.

flyboyedwards

Patronus

'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

b5blue

I'll dig out my sails and post a pic tonight for you.  :2thumbs:

bill440rt

My lower channel was fabbed using a sheet metal brake.
I did the corners similarly, but cut small reliefs to make the curve.

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce