News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

year one

Started by larmstrong11, February 17, 2012, 10:46:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rave_12000

i really like to find the chrome parts at shows...that way i can fully inspect whatever i buy. this seems fair to both buyer and vendor.  i have a doctorate and still make plenty of typos. don't feel bad.

rarefish

Quote from: Red 70 R/T 493 on February 19, 2012, 02:55:04 AM
Hey... that quoted topic looks familiar! Thanks for the heads up. I guess nobody is too perfect to learn here. Thanks. I'll make efforts to do better.
Am I a little harsh? Yeah, thats possible. I'm sure that there are others that share a disdain for the dumbing down of this fine country. Too many people have become lazy and texting surely isn't helping the language. Whats the alternative to my efforts? Give up and accept sloppy behavior? Well strap yourselves in because that will not happen. I can understand a few "typo" errors. Who would be all wigged about that? Its the blatant disregard for any semblence of order that stands out. Lack of capital letters, run-on sentences, zero punctuation.....

:iagree: Just to fan the flames on this.  
Let me just say that I'm a horrendous speller. Always have been and I'm getting worse with age. Thank God for spell check I say. I'm also only fair when it comes to writing, but with that said. I make a point to hide these facts when ever I post something. I will take the extra time that is needed when posting, so to not come off sounding like a illiterate hey seed. Something that I'm probably not far off of being in reality.

elacruze

Quote from: rarefish on February 19, 2012, 09:42:37 AM
Hey... that quoted topic looks familiar! Thanks for the heads up. I guess nobody is too perfect to learn here. Thanks. I'll make efforts to do better.
Am I a little harsh? Yeah, thats possible. I'm sure that there are others that share a disdain for the dumbing down of this fine country. Too many people have become lazy and texting surely isn't helping the language. Whats the alternative to my efforts? Give up and accept sloppy behavior? Well strap yourselves in because that will not happen. I can understand a few "typo" errors. Who would be all wigged about that? Its the blatant disregard for any semblence of order that stands out. Lack of capital letters, run-on sentences, zero punctuation.....

Let me just say that I'm a horrendous speller. Always have been and I'm getting worse with age. Thank God for spell check I say. I'm also only fair when it comes to writing, but with that said. I make a point to hide these facts when ever I post something. I will take the extra time that is needed when posting, so to not come off sounding like a illiterate hey seed. Something that I'm probably not far off of being in reality.

You misspelled 'hay'.  :hah:
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

rarefish

I see that this post is getting back to the original topic.....and thats a good thing.

rarefish

Quote from: elacruze on February 19, 2012, 09:44:35 AM
Quote from: rarefish on February 19, 2012, 09:42:37 AM

You misspelled 'hay'.  :hah:

You can't even trust Spell Check.  I need Grammer Check now. :brickwall:

Kern Dog

Year One has been bashed by many, but I have always had great service with them with ONE exception: They used to be very hard to reach by phone! I'd sit on their toll free number for upwards of 30 minutes waiting to place an order.
I have read on Moparts several instances of poor service with them or their exhorbitant pricing. When I started buying stuff THEY were the only "one stop shop".Yeah, I guess that there have been some other suppliers to pop up since I restored the Charger in 2002 and the Challenger in 2004. Herbs, B, E and A, Mancini, and a host of others come to mind. I can say though that in most all cases, each part and product they shipped was great.

Fred

I can also recommend Herbs, B, E and A, Mancini, Summit and Year One and have always been satisfied with their service but sometimes the quality of the after market product left a lot to be desired. Very sub standard and bad fitting which is why I believe, if you can restore the original..........do it.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Kern Dog

Personally, I'd like to hear of the BAD quality parts that have been made. I had great luck with weatherstripping, dash caps, door panels, seat skins.... Oh wait! I DID have and still DO have somewhat crappy carpet! I can't recall the manufacturer, but from what I have read, several other enthusiasts agree. For years, the carpet kits were notoriously stingy on material. Mine is short under the dash and barely make it to the sills. In fact, mine have gaps that I can't cover. The carpet just will not stretch another 3/8" without ripping. My 3/8" sending unit always reads 1/4 tank lower that I actually have. Thats okay though, as it acts as a caution to fill up before I REALLY need gas.

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: larmstrong11 on February 17, 2012, 10:46:55 PM
hey everyone
just a quick statement and inquiry i received a new year one trim today and i am greatly disappointed in the quilty of this part, and the same thing with the door handless i bought. anyone else think that year ones chrome parts are sub standard?

FYI...  year one doesn't manufacture anything besides a catalog.   They buy everything from other companies and put it all in one big catalog to make it easy for you.

Best thing to do when you have something not to your liking is to call and bitch and return the parts for them to eat.    That's the way things get improved in the real world.   A lot ... maybe most of the suppliers to them probably jumped on the made in china bandwagon.

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

jb666

Not exactly the same subject, but I ordered the following items from Year One that were all "in stock"

Gas pedal. Roller(behind pedal). Gas pedal nuts. Roller Clip.

I got (4) boxes over the next 4 weeks from 4 different parts of the country. One box was 12"x12"x12" and contained nothing but two small nuts in a bag.

I had no complaints regarding quality, but if I ever need anything quickly and/or efficiently, I'll be ordering elsewhere.

Fred

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on February 20, 2012, 07:16:50 AM
Quote from: larmstrong11 on February 17, 2012, 10:46:55 PM
hey everyone
just a quick statement and inquiry i received a new year one trim today and i am greatly disappointed in the quilty of this part, and the same thing with the door handless i bought. anyone else think that year ones chrome parts are sub standard?

FYI...  year one doesn't manufacture anything besides a catalog.   They buy everything from other companies and put it all in one big catalog to make it easy for you.

Best thing to do when you have something not to your liking is to call and bitch and return the parts for them to eat.    That's the way things get improved in the real world.   A lot ... maybe most of the suppliers to them probably jumped on the made in china bandwagon.

Not so easy when you have to pay shipping costs from Australia to get it back to them. :'(

Fred

Quote from: Red 70 R/T 493 on February 20, 2012, 02:52:54 AM
Personally, I'd like to hear of the BAD quality parts that have been made. I had great luck with weatherstripping, dash caps, door panels, seat skins.... Oh wait! I DID have and still DO have somewhat crappy carpet! I can't recall the manufacturer, but from what I have read, several other enthusiasts agree. For years, the carpet kits were notoriously stingy on material. Mine is short under the dash and barely make it to the sills. In fact, mine have gaps that I can't cover. The carpet just will not stretch another 3/8" without ripping. My 3/8" sending unit always reads 1/4 tank lower that I actually have. Thats okay though, as it acts as a caution to fill up before I REALLY need gas.

Okay, for starters these things spring to mind. The tank sending unit I got from Herb's was reading only half full even though the tank was full.I replaced it with from Spectra and that reads correctly.
Also, I thought I'd go with lovely new bumpers from Goodmark, well, they were the biggest disapointment. The quality of the chrome was really bad and the fit was even worse..........so bad in fact that there was no way I was going to be happy about fitting them. So I had the originals rechromed instead. They fit as intended which is why I say, restore the original's if you can.
I could go on but I won't.
I'm not complaing about the service as all have done their best, only of the poor quality of some of these after market parts.

Kern Dog

Fred, you reminded me.... I bought a rear bumper for my 70 and had to send it back. The finish looked great looking straight on, but was wavy like fiberglass when seen at an angle. I think that it was a Goodmark product.

six-tee-nine

On the otherhand I got a set of AMD replacement bumpers and they look awesome.
They're still not on the car so I cant tell you if they have fitment issues of not but they are top shelf parts.

And if you can avoid buying from Year one then do so...
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

bill440rt

I have a set of Goodmark bumpers as well. Not "show" chrome by any sense of the word, but very decent especially for the money (I was on a budget). I had no problems with fit. The thickness of the metal was very good, on par with the originals.
If the time ever comes I may have these rechromed someday because they fit fine.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Bobs69

Quote from: 68 Bullitt Charger on February 17, 2012, 11:13:17 PM
IMO all these companies like Year One, Ground Up,etc sell these chrome parts however the chrome is not triple plated quality, rather china made crap. If possible rechrome your original part's. Work's for me. :Twocents:

Good to know!   Thanks.

Fred

Quote from: Red 70 R/T 493 on February 21, 2012, 04:05:56 AM
Fred, you reminded me.... I bought a rear bumper for my 70 and had to send it back. The finish looked great looking straight on, but was wavy like fiberglass when seen at an angle. I think that it was a Goodmark product.

That's exactly what mine looked like, all wavy. Thought I was seeing things at first, tried several different pairs of glasses.............no change.
Did I get the one you sent back or did you get the one I sent back?  :lol:

Fred

Quote from: six-tee-nine on February 21, 2012, 03:18:26 PM
On the otherhand I got a set of AMD replacement bumpers and they look awesome.
They're still not on the car so I cant tell you if they have fitment issues of not but they are top shelf parts.

And if you can avoid buying from Year one then do so...

I agree with you...........since AMD took over Goodmark, the quality is much improved.

jaak

I'll admit Year One does have good customer service...but it stops there. Like I have said a million times before, YO is a retailer. Most if not all products they sell can be found from other vendors, sometimes quite a bit cheaper. Not to mention YO will rape you with shipping. I highly recommend Classic Industries for your repop needs, I compiled the same order with year one, and it was (trying to remember correctly) somewhere around 50-75 dollars cheaper (before shipping). I ordered several large items; seat foam, package tray, trunk divider, and other smaller items packaged in a large box. In total it was like 6 large boxes, from California to Alabama, they charged 17 bucks to ship. I might had to have waited 3-4 extra days (YO is in Georgia, so I usually get things from them in a day or two), but I can wait a couple of extra days, to save some bucks and not get taken advantage of. My  :Twocents:

That said sometimes you got to use them, one time during one of their specials, I bought my engine harness from them.

Jason

Rolling_Thunder

YO is not on my list of favorite sellers - they don't make anything and their shipping prices are outrageous. I have had good luck with Classic Industries (better prices and no shipping as they are 20 minutes from me). I have had issues with YO customer service before - however, they always sell parts from other people manufacture - so the quality problems do not rest with YO but the maker of the part. However, there are few other solutions to problems such as this - I have no problems with the quality of the parts I have received from them - however, I am just simply not a fan when i can find the parts cheaper and local.  

As for the grammar and punctuation issues that are being voiced: When the person who has a problem has a child they can teach them as they see fit. However, this is not a college writing course nor an educational environment (except for automotive topics) -  If I nit-picked every minor error I found on this board I would not have free time to do anything else. However, I think the best solution would be to let sleeping dogs lie and make light of these topics.      :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Fred

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on February 21, 2012, 07:30:58 PM
YO is not on my list of favorite sellers - they don't make anything and their shipping prices are outrageous. I have had good luck with Classic Industries (better prices and no shipping as they are 20 minutes from me). I have had issues with YO customer service before - however, they always sell parts from other people manufacture - so the quality problems do not rest with YO but the maker of the part. However, there are few other solutions to problems such as this - I have no problems with the quality of the parts I have received from them - however, I am just simply not a fan when i can find the parts cheaper and local.  

As for the grammar and punctuation issues that are being voiced: When the person who has a problem has a child they can teach them as they see fit. However, this is not a college writing course nor an educational environment (except for automotive topics) -  If I nit-picked every minor error I found on this board I would not have free time to do anything else. However, I think the best solution would be to let sleeping dogs lie and make light of these topics.      :2thumbs:

Boy, if you think their shipping prices are outragous let me tell you about XV Motorsports. I'm talking international. Sometimes I pay anywhere from AU$250.00 or upwards for parts that cost a quarter of the price. I just have to grin and bare it.

70 Charger RT

QuoteI stopped buying from them once their prices & shipping hit the roof.

I will buy anywhere else but YO.  Shipping cost more than the part.   I DO expect to pay more because I'm in Canada, but not the prices they charge.  I too don't have any issues with their quality but when you open a package from YO and over half the box is air, then I have an issue with them.  I even talked to them on the phone with my issue and they simply ignored my concerns.  IMHO there is NO customer service.

I've been having great results from Jack's Auto (if they have it).  Shipping is reasonable as well.

(How did I do on my grammer?)
70 Charger R/T - 440/6
07 BMW 328iS
04 GMC SLE 2500 Diesel

Fred

Quote from: 70 Charger RT on February 22, 2012, 09:43:09 AM
(How did I do on my grammer?)

GOOD, BETTER, BEST..............NEVER LET IT REST..............TILL YOUR GOOD IS BETTER................AND YOUR BETTER BEST!

HeavyFuel

Unfortunately, Year One supposedly has the exclusive rights to sell things that are said to be the best in their respective areas.....like wiring harnesses. I'm waiting for the next 30% off sale.....I missed the one over Pres Day.....

It definitely pays to look around, both financially and in item quality.

I ordered some muffler hangers from Mega that sucked.  I had to completely redo them, using a combination of their hanger components and stuff that I had to pick up at the local Macs, to get them up to my standards.

CAPER

30% off Year One Feb 24-26

Code: Race12