News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

NASCAR nixes Watson’s ‘General Lee’ lap

Started by TruckDriver, February 17, 2012, 03:19:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TruckDriver

I posted this here cause it is a Charger related story.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/news?slug=ap-nascar-confederateflag

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (AP)—NASCAR and track officials canceled plans to have pro golfer Bubba Watson drive the car from the television series "The Dukes of Hazzard" at Phoenix International Raceway because of concerns about a negative reaction to an image of the Confederate flag.

Watson was scheduled to drive the 1969 Dodge Charger, known as the "General Lee," on a parade lap before the March 4 Sprint Cup series race at Phoenix. The car has a large Confederate flag on its roof, just as it did when it appeared on the show.

"The image of the Confederate flag is not something that should play an official role in our sport as we continue to reach out to new fans and make NASCAR more inclusive," NASCAR spokesman David Higdon said in a statement Friday.
More on the link.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

68coronetGLwannabe

I pointed to two old drunks sitting across the bar from us and told my friend
"That's us in 10 years".
He said "That's a mirror, dip-shit!

Ghoste

Ignoring of course, the back windows of 1/2 the pickup trucks in their parking lots.
One more reason to NOT watch NASCAR.

MoparMotel

Dumb...When I had the General Lee a few years ago I took it to my high school car show as well as other shows and in all that time plus cruising it around town NEVER did I have one person say anything about the flag.
1968 Dodge Charger

Indygenerallee

BOOOOO!!!! NASCAR  :RantExplode: Just to satisfy some idiots that have no clue as to what the flag ever really stood for anyway too bad. NAACP can go to heck if you ask me they are more crap stirrers than anything else. Oh well NASCAR has went down the tubes since they quit using STOCK cars as the racing platform!! I watched a old NASCAR race on Youtube from 1970 and WOW I wish they still ran like that (and built cars like that!!!)
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

RallyeMike

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Rolling_Thunder

no problem here -       I dont even watch NASCAR
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

XS29L

MOPAR OR NO CAR !!

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Ghoste on February 17, 2012, 03:23:08 PM
Ignoring of course, the back windows of 1/2 the pickup trucks in their parking lots.
One more reason to NOT watch NASCAR.

No doubt!!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Cooter

I had a guy come up to me when I asked if the flag "Offended" him and he told me this straight out.

There's big difference between that flag on top of THAT car and you riding through my neck-o-the woods with one hangin' off the back of yer truck"....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

bull

"... negative reaction to an image of the Confederate flag." In Florida? That like worrying about a negative reaction to an Obama decal in Portland, Oregon.

Mike DC

I'm not surprised.  

NASCAR is very embarrassed of its roots.  Always has been.

Sabre

What  bunch of stupd PC crap.  Glad I don't watch NASCAR anymore.

jwramc

I understand the basic sensitivity of the flag subject, but I think this was an over-reactionary nod to PC sensitivities. Stickers on personal cars in the parking lot aren't the same as a vehicle appearing in an officially sanctioned NASCAR event... but what NASCAR failed to take into account was context. By way of example, I and a few other owners of retired Alabama State Trooper AMC Javelins have talked about getting together at Talladega in August 2016 to celebrate 45 years since the cars served. Well, when these cars were NEW, they wore the stars and bars on their front tag...something the State Police no longer like to discuss. My car wears the plate now, not because I do or don't have an issue with anything the flag represents now or once represented. It's there because that's how it looked while serving under then-Governor George Wallace. It's a historical accuracy, not a nod to the south nor a jab at those that don't like it. It is because it was. But I've said if this meet happens, I'll have no problem removing the plate to honor the Troopers wishes, because the cars will be marked and therefore represent those officers- so it's their call.

As for the General, it's an even more diluted, harmless accuracy to what the car looked like on TV. I have NEVER heard ANYONE say they were offended by the General Lee's flag. On the general, it just means "Southern". It was never a statement by the show about racism. It's meaning on the trucks in the lot is debatable, but on the General, it just isn't. This was a knuckle-headed decision by someone erring too far to the side of being unoffensive. They might as well be banning the Monkey-mobile for its Commie-red paint.

I wonder if the Bandit Trans Am's front plate would've been an issue?
John

200MPH

Quote from: Cooter on February 17, 2012, 09:42:41 PM
I had a guy come up to me when I asked if the flag "Offended" him and he told me this straight out.

There's big difference between that flag on top of THAT car and you riding through my neck-o-the woods with one hangin' off the back of yer truck"....

that is exactly right..
Charger

resq302

Seems like good ol' Cooter (Ben Jones) had sumptin' to say too!

FORMER DUKES OF HAZZARD STAR BEN JONES BLASTS NASCAR DECISION

Click Here To Read ESPN Story (Please Read First):
Former Georgia Congressman Ben Jones, who starred as ace mechanic "Cooter" Davenport on the hit television series "The Dukes of Hazzard", has condemned the decision by NASCAR to prevent the use of the popular "General Lee" 1969 Dodge Charger at the Phoenix Sprint Cup race in March. In a statement Friday, NASCAR said The image of the Confederate flag is not something that should plan an official role in our sport as we continue to reach out to new fans and make NASCAR more inclusive." "The General Lee" has a Confederate Battle Flag on its roof.
Jones said in response:
"At a time when tens of millions of Americans are honoring their Union and Confederate ancestors during this Sesquicentennial of the Civil War, NASCAR has chosen to dishonor those Southerners who fought and died in that terrible conflict by caving to "political correctness" and the uninformed concerns of corporate sponsors.
This is also an extraordinary insult to rural Southerners, who are NASCAR's oldest and most fervent fan base, and it sends a message against inclusion and against the need for diversity. Many of us who are descended from ancestors who fought for the South see this as a crude dishonoring of our kinfolks and our heritage. Our ancestors were proud Americans who had fought for our Nation before the Civil War and have served honorably in every conflict since then.
The Confederate Battle Flag is on display at many National Battlefields and is displayed by countless historical and heritage groups who are descendants of those who fought in that crucible of the American experience.
"The Dukes of Hazzard" remains a beloved classic television show which is watched by Americans of all races and regions and is watched internationally as an upbeat reflection of the American Spirit. It is also watched by our troops in Iraq and Afghanistan and around the world.
While it is true that the Confederate Battle Flag has been desecrated by bigots and racists, these groups also misuse the American Flag and the Christian cross in their shameless rituals. The vast majority of the display of the St. Andrews Cross Flag is in a benign spirit of remembrance and reverence.
I am a veteran of the Civil Rights Movement, a Life Member of the NAACP, and a proud member of the Sons of Confederate Veterans. As a cast member of the Dukes of Hazzard and the owner of several "General Lees", I can attest that the car and our show reflect the very best of American values, and that Hazzard County was a place where racism was not tolerated.
This action by NASCAR is a provocative and unnecessary over-reaction to a problem that doesn't exist. It is a disgraceful and gratuitous insult to a lot of very decent people. It is prejudicial toward those good-hearted folks who, like Uncle Jesse Duke, are in fact "never meanin' no harm".
Please read this and contact NASCAR at fanfeedback@NASCAR.COM with your feelings. Please be respectful in your comments.
Thanks, Ben aka "Cooter"
Click Here To Read ESPN Story:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

jwramc

Ben Cross said-
Quote"While it is true that the Confederate Battle Flag has been desecrated by bigots and racists, these groups also misuse the American Flag and the Christian cross in their shameless rituals."

Nice take there- hadn't thought to go that route!  :2thumbs:
John

aussiemuscle

Quote from: jwramc on February 18, 2012, 11:06:16 PM
I have NEVER heard ANYONE say they were offended by the General Lee's flag.[/img]
except in the movie  :yesnod:

there's a similar ban at Scale Auto (modelling forum). it infuriates many fans of the General Lee, because that's their only connection to the flag. (being Australian, i have no opinion on it either way. it means nothing).

XS29L

MOPAR OR NO CAR !!

Ghoste

spankmunky

i never really get in these types of discussions due to the way it can easily be flipped into a racist thing, but with that said and we now have to be ashamed of a piece of history then i want all my land back because they all offend me. i am 1/2 Cherokee Indian and so is my wife and no one (white or black or asian) has offered anything to the people who lived here first. we got rapped murdered and left on reservations (concentration camps) with endless amounts of alcohol. i love this country but hate ignorant stupid people. 

skip68

I'M SO SICK OF THIS KIND OF CRAP.   BLACK, WHITE OR ANY OTHER COLOR LOVE THIS CAR AS A CELEBRITY IT IS.  THAT'S IT.    :flame: 
I AM SICK TO DEATH OF THIS "WHITE MANS GUILT CRAP".  THAT'S WHAT I CALL IT.    I'VE HAD 2 PEOPLE SAY SOMETHING ABOUT OFFENDING BLACKS OVER ALL THE YEARS I HAD MINE AND GUESS WHAT COLOR THEY WERE,,,,,,,,,, WHITE.   
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

resq302

Quote from: spankmunky on February 21, 2012, 03:44:36 PM
i never really get in these types of discussions due to the way it can easily be flipped into a racist thing, but with that said and we now have to be ashamed of a piece of history then i want all my land back because they all offend me. i am 1/2 Cherokee Indian and so is my wife and no one (white or black or asian) has offered anything to the people who lived here first. we got rapped murdered and left on reservations (concentration camps) with endless amounts of alcohol. i love this country but hate ignorant stupid people. 

If thats the case then I want in on the share too since I am part Lenni Lenape Indian.  Then again, Im also part polish (yeh, I know it explains a lot), Czech, French, and English.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Mike DC

Nobody is forcing NASCAR's hand here.  

Just like the removal of Santa Claus & Christian imagery from Christmas . . . there's no govt pressure forcing this stuff.  These are corporate decisions being made to court one audience over another.  

As for the pressure from protest groups . . . whatever.  Let's try protesting NASCAR's use of overseas merchandise manufacturing and see how far that gets us.  IMHO pressure from protest groups is usually just the public justification for a corporation's decision, not the actual reason.

jwramc

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on February 22, 2012, 08:48:29 AMNobody is forcing NASCAR's hand here. Just like the removal of Santa Claus & Christian imagery from Christmas . . . there's no govt pressure forcing this stuff.  These are corporate decisions being made to court one audience over another. As for the pressure from protest groups . . . whatever. Let's try protesting NASCAR's use of overseas merchandise manufacturing and see how far that gets us. IMHO pressure from protest groups is usually just the public justification for a corporation's decision, not the actual reason.

:cheers: Very well rationalized and said.
John

Ghoste

Exactly!  NASCAR marketing experts have told the board that the DOH will buy merchandise whether they do this or not but their research indicates that SOME visible minority groups MIGHT not buy X dollars worth of goodies if they do it.  Therefore the decision makers knew to axe was in the best interest of getting some money because in the end, NASCAR only think of themselves as being in the sports entertainment business, because thats what they really are.

wingcar

The really sad or ironic part of all this is that first off most people don't know or understand history, and therefore are always trying to change it or apply it to today's world.   History is history.   When most people see a Charger painted up as the General Lee they are not seeing a flag that is associated with the Civil War...they are seeing an orange jumping Charger from the TV series....nothing more.    Most could care less what the flag represents as they have no clue about history and their only understanding of history is what they see on TV or in the movies.   Hey, NASCAR the sport will always be associated with the South, and all that goes with it...flag and all.  (Has NASCAR forgotten about the 1960's Rebel 500 races, when "Johnny Rebel" would ride the hood of the winners car into victory circle waving a Confederate flag?)  I guess NASCAR no longer wants to be associated with their past. 
With this kind of thinking I wonder how long it will be, before those in power will no longer allow you to drive a General Lee with the Confederate flag on public streets.....because you know it's a "fact" that everyone who drives one is a red-neck and a hater ..... 
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

jwramc

Quote from: wingcar on February 22, 2012, 09:28:19 AM...because you know it's a "fact" that everyone who drives one is a red-neck and a hater

Well I don't know about the hater part.  :icon_smile_wink:  :smilielol:
John

skip68

Anyone group of idiots that have a problem with the flag on the general Lee are the same people that SHOULD have a problem with the history of NASCAR being started by common outlaws running moonshine.  If they can overlook that then they can overlook the flag.    They need to suck it up and shut up.   
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Mike DC

I do think the rebel flag's days in public view are numbered though. 

Southerners basically take the flag as an "I love the South" symbol.  The rest of the country will never get it because they don't have their own regional subculture to the degree that the South does.  We don't have "Yankee" or "Northern" cooking, music, dress, dancing, accents, etc. 

Ghoste

There is but its too boring to get much of a label beyond fast food, muzak, etc.

UH60L

Quote from: aussiemuscle on February 19, 2012, 08:05:03 PM
Quote from: jwramc on February 18, 2012, 11:06:16 PM
I have NEVER heard ANYONE say they were offended by the General Lee's flag.[/img]
except in the movie  :yesnod:

there's a similar ban at Scale Auto (modelling forum). it infuriates many fans of the General Lee, because that's their only connection to the flag. (being Australian, i have no opinion on it either way. it means nothing).

Which is why I didn't watch that horrible movie........

jwramc

John

UH60L

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on February 22, 2012, 08:48:29 AM

Nobody is forcing NASCAR's hand here. 

Just like the removal of Santa Claus & Christian imagery from Christmas . . . there's no govt pressure forcing this stuff.  These are corporate decisions being made to court one audience over another. 

As for the pressure from protest groups . . . whatever.  Let's try protesting NASCAR's use of overseas merchandise manufacturing and see how far that gets us.  IMHO pressure from protest groups is usually just the public justification for a corporation's decision, not the actual reason.

Funny, I have not noticed any removal of Santa from christmas....anywhere.  If anything, it's a one or the other kidna thing.  Most places around where I live, Santa is in and christian imagery is out.

Your correct though, there never was any actual "war on christmas", it was just business decisions trying to lure more shoppers in.  Can't really blame a store for trying to get more sales.

NASCAR, though.....they are not a store, they're a motor sport and one that can stand to lose alot of paying southern (and northern....) fans by alienating them over a single lap by a famous tv car that many NASCAR fans love.   Seems like a no-brainer business decision to me, I'd have that car at every race, maybe even have the tv show stars there signing autographs.

UH60L

Quote from: jwramc on February 22, 2012, 11:36:46 PM
THAT'S the reason???  :lol:

The primary reason, yes, but also the way they protrayed Uncel Jesse as a pot smoker, Jessic Simpson, the lack of overall respect they gave to the original tv show....did I mention Jessic Simpson?

As soon as I heard they were going to make a racial statement about the car having a "confederate flag" on the roof, I decided not to go see it.  I have forbidden my wife and kids from ever watching it.  Pretty much everyone that I know that went and saw it hated it.

Anyone who really believes that that car or that tv show ever represented or promoted racism....those are the people who need a history lesson.

Since we're on the subject, dead horse, here comes the beat-n.......

The flag on the roof is a confederate navy jack.  As such, that flag was never and is not "THE" confederate flag.  Neither was the Virginia battle flag (the square version of the flag on the general lee car), though it WAS used in the top left corner of the second and third confederate national flags.

The first confederate national flag actually looked alot like the early U.S. flags, with a blue field housing a circle of stars and 3 red and white stripes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flags_of_the_Confederate_States_of_America

jwramc

Simpson was my main reason, then the over-the-top sex content that obliterated the TV show's family orientation.

Side bar- Why does EVERY remake of a classic TV show into a modern film HAVE to make it a mocking of the original? Why did Starsky & Hutch have to become laughable morons? Same for the Green Hornet, the A-Team, and now 21 Jump Street. They take a popular show, rape the original premise and ask us to pay to have them insult us for loving the originals. Can you imagine BULLITT remade starring Will Ferrell and Seth Rogan?!? F**king ridiculous. No matter how terrible the relaunch of Knightrider was (and, oh boy, it was), at least they had the respect enough to take the premise seriously, not make it a satire (intentionally anyway).  :flame:
John

BY RSCO

[Anyone who really believes that that car or that tv show ever represented or promoted racism....those are the people who need a history lesson.

You are absolutely right. This is one of the things that kills me about anyone playing the R card regarding the show, or the flag on the car.
Any person of color on the show was ALWAYS portrayed in a position of power or authority - Sheriff Little, Cale Yarborough's Crew Cheif, The Dukes Dentist, and a State Bank Examiner just to name a few.

I also despised the movie, the only resemblance to the show was the General Lee, and that one is pushing it....

HOTROD

Being politically correct is a pain in the ass !!! :nana:
What the Hell-Dumass !

Mikesmoparperformance

Well spoken BEN! :cheers:  To bad the Nascar is thinking the way they do about the flag :rotz: They put the flag on top because of Robert Edward Lee General lee that was the leader of the Confederate army back then.
Bo and Luke where trying to become racecar drivers voor Nascar, Shame on NASCAR!!! :slap: That they would not let the General drive his lap :RantExplode:
MOPAR OR NO CAR

1966 Dodge Charger 383 CI