News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Canada is no longer a police state.

Started by 404NOTFOUND, February 15, 2012, 09:39:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger_fan_4ever

No freedom of choice is my main problem. Just get raped in taxes to support a sub par healthcare system. The amount we pay in income tax.sales tax is ridiculous. Here in quebec 15% federal income tax, over 39k 20% provincial income tax and last but not least 14.5% sales tax.

If we had a low tax rate like across the border we could afford to get a real health insurance policy and go to a private set up and get real care. Not go to an ER and wait for 4-10 hours to see someone.

I'd like to see less government intervention in our pockets and let us choose where we want to spend it. God knows they can't manage spending it correctly.

71green go

Careful what you ask for..yes we are taxed to death....Our economy is among the best in the world...60% of money collected south of the border goes to Military....or some high number like that, so cities crumble..be happy where you are....dont get me wrong I like my trips south of the border!  :2thumbs:

nh_mopar_fan

Guess that *free* healthcare is kinda expensive, eh?

Troy

Quote from: 71green go on February 22, 2012, 01:46:59 PM
Careful what you ask for..yes we are taxed to death....Our economy is among the best in the world...60% of money collected south of the border goes to Military....or some high number like that, so cities crumble..be happy where you are....dont get me wrong I like my trips south of the border!  :2thumbs:
Uh, that'd be 19.3% of the budget - almost the same as Social Security and only slightly more than Medicare/Medicaid.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Ghoste

And there is plenty of urban decay and joblessness in Canada too.  I wish the US had seen the Monroe Doctrine to completion a long time ago.

TK73

Total tax rate for Canada isn't much higher than the US. 28% for US and 33% for Canada...

Total Tax Revenue by country, as a percentage of Gross Domestic Product:
Country    Tax %
Austrailia    30.8
Austria    42.3
Canada    33.3
Finland    43.0
France    43.5
Germany    36.2
Italy            43.5
Japan    28.3
Korea    26.5
Netherlands 37.5
Norway    43.6
Sweden    48.3
Switzerland 28.9
United States    28.3

Source: OECD Tax Database    
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

Ghoste

That's income tax though, tack on another 13% for sales tax in Ontario (federal and provincial combined) and don't forget user fees for any number of government services and much higher energy costs etc, etc.

TK73

Quote from: Ghoste on February 22, 2012, 04:31:54 PM
That's income tax though, tack on another 13% for sales tax in Ontario (federal and provincial combined).

Thought that was total tax, which includes income and sales taxes?

Any other info we can get? 

Interesting topic, i did some research on this for the Scandinavian countries...

charger_fan_4ever

charger_fan_4ever

Careful what you ask for..yes we are taxed to death....Our economy is among the best in the world...60% of money collected south of the border goes to Military....or some high number like that, so cities crumble..be happy where you are....dont get me wrong I like my trips south of the border!  :2thumbs:

Been to montreal lately ? the whole overpass system is ready to crumble. They say a 5 on the scale earthquake would crumble the city and  I believe it. Most overpasses have huge nets to catch the falling concrete :S

Personal income tax in the US I don't see one state higher than 9%. I pay over 3 times that. I like to compare apples to apples. Ie what I take home every 2 weeks here vs if i lived int he U.S.

When figuring cost of living that is another crock as it does not take into consideration energy or food cost. I still fuel up every 2 weeks and the cost has gone up 35% in the past 2 years which comes direct from my pay yet they try to say cost of living only goes up 2-3% a year. Please give me a break.

http://www.taxadmin.org/fta/rate/ind_inc.pdf

I love our landscape and people, but the social system kills me.

TK73

WA has no State income tax, high sales taxes are the norm: 9-10%.  Unless you want alcohol or smokes: 35-40% "sin" tax.

Do you figure in our National tax rate compared to what you mentioned?  10-35% based on income level  (of course the higher tax brackets can take more advantage of legal deductions to bring their tax burden WAY down)

71green go

Quote from: Troy on February 22, 2012, 03:48:28 PM
Uh, that'd be 19.3% of the budget - almost the same as Social Security and only slightly more than Medicare/Medicaid.

Troy

Sensitive subject indeed......however what I have read and watched on TV says those numbers are greatly exaggerated......that many costs are hidden and not included in the real percentages...hey I hope I am wrong

71green go

Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on February 22, 2012, 04:38:00 PM
Careful what you ask for..yes we are taxed to death....Our economy is among the best in the world...60% of money collected south of the border goes to Military....or some high number like that, so cities crumble..be happy where you are....dont get me wrong I like my trips south of the border!  :2thumbs:

Been to montreal lately ? the whole overpass system is ready to crumble. They say a 5 on the scale earthquake would crumble the city and  I believe it. Most overpasses have huge nets to catch the falling concrete :S

Personal income tax in the US I don't see one state higher than 9%. I pay over 3 times that. I like to compare apples to apples. Ie what I take home every 2 weeks here vs if i lived int he U.S.

When figuring cost of living that is another crock as it does not take into consideration energy or food cost. I still fuel up every 2 weeks and the cost has gone up 35% in the past 2 years which comes direct from my pay yet they try to say cost of living only goes up 2-3% a year. Please give me a break.

Yep you are right and I didnt mean Canada does not have its issues we certainly do have many of the same issues.....but I lived 17 years south of the border and I simply Like Canada better...is it wrong to have pride in your country? everyone should....I wont speak about our politicians  :flame:...but I do not hear much good of the current US government either...

Troy

Well, it takes some research to get anything you can actually compare. Most TV is worthless when it comes to "facts you can use". Once you figure out the agenda of the reporting agency it's easier to see what you need to cross check. I had a lot more written as far as comparisons but decided to keep it simple.

Oh, I research/analyze/crunch numbers/create reports for a living... yippee!

Troy

Troy

Quote from: TK73 on February 22, 2012, 04:29:15 PM
Total tax rate for Canada isn't much higher than the US. 28% for US and 33% for Canada...

Total Tax Revenue by country, as a percentage of Gross Domestic Product:
Country    Tax %
Austrailia    30.8
Austria    42.3
Canada    33.3
Finland    43.0
France    43.5
Germany    36.2
Italy            43.5
Japan    28.3
Korea    26.5
Netherlands 37.5
Norway    43.6
Sweden    48.3
Switzerland 28.9
United States    28.3

Source: OECD Tax Database    

It's 5% overall - comparatively that's almost 17.7% higher (difference between 28.3 and 33.3). Since that's *total tax* against GDP it's very washed down since it includes corporate taxes - which skews what an individual would pay. I couldn't find that specific list on the site but it sure seems like it's only Federal.

I guess we're veering pretty far off into politics now - although I suppose the subject of gun control laws kicked it off that way in the beginning.

Troy

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: 71green go on February 22, 2012, 05:45:16 PM
Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on February 22, 2012, 04:38:00 PM

Yep you are right and I didnt mean Canada does not have its issues we certainly do have many of the same issues.....but I lived 17 years south of the border and I simply Like Canada better...is it wrong to have pride in your country? everyone should....I wont speak about our politicians  :flame:...but I do not hear much good of the current US government either...

I do love our country, just not the government set up. Nowhere is perfect i guess.