News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Spot welders

Started by 70rr 69ch, February 15, 2012, 04:31:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

70rr 69ch

Hi guys,I'm looking to buy a spot welder I have a good mig but really want to get that factory look(and save the time grinding down welds).is there any I can get that would have different size jaws most I've seen don't seem to be that deep of throut.looking for some thing reasonably priced.any help would be great,don't want to get something that won't do the job. :scratchchin:

redgum78

I was looking for the same thing here in Australia but couldn't find anything that would work ok and not cost a mint. I am supprised that a portable spot welding head is not available that is powered by a conventional or electronic ark/stick welder.
I reckon there is a market for this.......run the positive and negative cables over to the spot machine then you have got yourself a portable lightish weight spot welder.
I was going to try and make one and run it off my 250 amp transmig/stick welder but decided it was easier to plug weld with mig and grind it back instead.

Let us know how you get on.

Indygenerallee

I just bought a older Miller 220v Spot welder with a 5-0 second time and it has the 12" electrodes. I am putting AMD full quarters, outer wheel houses, one piece floor, trunk drop offs, tail panel, valance, corners, crossmember, rear filler panel and the rear filler plenum, and trunk gutters on my 69 Charger, I know I will have to plug weld the inner welds on the trunk pan but as far as the welds on the outer wheel houses to inner and quarter panel (gonna have to find a different electrode for the lip) trunk gutters, and the bottom quarter to rocker, rear window pinch weld to quarter and tail panel to quarter. There are a lot of uses to make it fast and quick and contrary to what some guys say about spot welds if it is done right there is no need to plug weld each hole. After doing a test spot weld if you pull both pieces apart and the metal rips around the spot weld you are good to go!
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

redgum78

Quote from: Indygenerallee on February 15, 2012, 10:30:24 AM
After doing a test spot weld if you pull both pieces apart and the metal rips around the spot weld you are good to go!
:yesnod: