News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1971 Hemi Challenger - Barn Find

Started by 1970Moparmann, February 14, 2012, 09:22:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1970Moparmann

My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

RallyeMike

I'm not buying the Barn story.

I think people who use that term should be required to post photos of the "Barn".  :scratchchin:
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

404NOTFOUND

Quote from: RallyeMike on February 14, 2012, 09:44:15 PM

I think people who use that term should be required to post photos of the "Barn".  :scratchchin:

Barn, garage or whatever, the mold on the interior looks real. Can't duplicate that I think.
My 1969 Charger. RIP......Rest in pieces.

Hemi Runner

I'd love to be able to buy that. I wouldn't even restore it. I'd get that thing running and drive it like I stole it :2thumbs:

maxwellwedge

Cheap (so far) for a Mr. Norm's 71 Hemi Challenger with the full paperwork jacket.

RallyeMike

QuoteBarn, garage or whatever, the mold on the interior looks real. Can't duplicate that I think.

You'll get mold anywhere you have humidity and it can form very fast. There is very little surface rust, no animal tracks, chrome looks great, etc...

My guess is more of a very secure unheated shop building rather than something one would call a "barn". Of course, one man's barn is another man's shop.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

BB1

All I see is red flags and buzz words, where's the beef.

No pics of the Engine

And a juicy up date too.

LATEST UPDATE! 
ODOMETER READING
MILES. 
BELIEVED TO BE ORIGINAL.
Delete my profile

surmanajaja

I think this comes from the same barn.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230742088043&ih=013&category=6210&ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1

whoever owns these cars is letting the wrong person sell them. bad pics, bad info.bad salesmanship.

Fitz73Chrgr

'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

Old Moparz

Interesting car for sure, but I can't be bothered reading the multi-colored, cartoon print in the ad. Especially when the seller (user name misschitown) starts out with....

"Only MissChiTown that brings to ebay some of the top of the line muscle cars and other collectible cars could bring you such a rare, authenticated and fully documented Mr. Norm Hemi Challenger."

Who talks like that except for someone full of s**t?   :shruggy:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

PocketThunder

Quote from: Hemi Runner on February 14, 2012, 10:12:05 PM
I'd love to be able to buy that. I wouldn't even restore it. I'd get that thing running and drive it like I stole it :2thumbs:
And i would cut out that crappy radio in the dash and put in a modern unit.. .  :icon_smile_big:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

tan top

:drool5: damn , thats a serious bit of hardware !!  never seen or heard about that one before  :scratchchin:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

fc7_plumcrazy

it is back on ebay. With funny pencilrubbings of fender tags :eyes:

Carsten

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: RallyeMike on February 14, 2012, 09:44:15 PM

I think people who use that term should be required to post photos of the "Barn".  :scratchchin:
Ha! So true excellent point.  Here's what gets me.  A rare Hemi car, one of 71 built.  No engine shots???  What the?  How stupid.  That's the whole value of the car.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Vainglory, Esq.

I agree with the judgment of terrible salesmanship.  However, as to the value, I agree that it's objectively very high, but the market has been there before and may be close to being back.  These original Hemi E-Bodies have long brought in the stupid money.  And I would think that for E-Body guys this is pretty close to the holy grail.

68 Bullitt Charger

I don't doubt the Barn/Storage find bit, however no engine pic's and proof of documentation, B.S., etc is my concern... :scratchchin:
Some of the Mopar Ride's in Stable.....
58 Pymouth Fury "Christine"
65 Ply Satellite 9.43@141 mph
58 Ply Fury "Christine"
64 40th anniv 880 Custom 383 Pwr Everything!

I'd rather be hated for the person I am, than be loved for the person I am not!!!!!!

resq302

my question is why would a car with that low miles need to be repainted? One repaint in original Plum Crazy -The car had white RT stripes from the factory but were not put back on after the car was re-painted in the original Plum Crazy paint.

And this is pretty much worthless.......Decoding of Fender Tags by Galen Govier – 3 pages

NOTE – there are three fender tags because this car is so heavily optioned – tags in excellent condition.

Also, the fender tag is coded for a front (?) and rear spoiler.  I see no go wing on that car or any evidence of holes in the deck lid where a spoiler would have been.  Way too many red flags......
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

bill440rt

Quote from: resq302 on February 27, 2012, 07:25:48 AM
my question is why would a car with that low miles need to be repainted? One repaint in original Plum Crazy -The car had white RT stripes from the factory but were not put back on after the car was re-painted in the original Plum Crazy paint.

Easy. The factory FC7 paintjobs were horrible, and commonly failed (peeled, faded). Finding a survivor FC7 car with nice paint is tough, they are far & few between. The car could have also been raced before & perhaps it had some custom shit on it.  Just speculation, who the heck knows??  :shruggy:

I agree the seller is doing a poor job representing this car. All a buyer has to go on is his typed description. Sure, he's telling us it's real (It's really real! REALLY it is!!!), but there's no photos to back it up.
It's up to $125K right now, no way would I be in on it without seeing/touching/smelling some original paperwork.
:Twocents:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

resq302

Ok. I can accept that as I did not know the paint jobs for that color were that horrible.  Must be like the gray and blue color problems that Dodge had back in the late 80s early 90s with peeling and such.  However, it still doesn't answer the question about the deck / trunk lid.  If it is supposed to have a front and rear spoiler, why are there no holes to go with the spoiler on the trunk?  Especially if it was just a repaint and  they did not put the stripe back on.   :scratchchin:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Hobbles

I want to know why it is sitting on a lift, Yet there is no pics of the floor, Frame rails, Engine or transmission.

I should think that if it being a Hemi is the biggest selling point of the car, Then they should show it.

Makes me wonder what they are hiding.

PocketThunder

Hey i know where one of those are, same color even.  Here are a couple pics.  Been sitting for at least 7 years now, since i found it anyways.  I left my number on the windshield wiper but the guy hasnt called me yet.  I should probably go back there and update to my new number...  :yesnod:

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: PocketThunder on February 27, 2012, 10:19:51 AM
Hey i know where one of those are, same color even.  Here are a couple pics.  Been sitting for at least 7 years now, since i found it anyways.  I left my number on the windshield wiper but the guy hasnt called me yet.  I should probably go back there and update to my new number...  :yesnod:

Hemi also?
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

rav440

Quote from: resq302 on February 27, 2012, 08:52:01 AM
Ok. I can accept that as I did not know the paint jobs for that color were that horrible.  Must be like the gray and blue color problems that Dodge had back in the late 80s early 90s with peeling and such.  However, it still doesn't answer the question about the deck / trunk lid.  If it is supposed to have a front and rear spoiler, why are there no holes to go with the spoiler on the trunk?  Especially if it was just a repaint and  they did not put the stripe back on.   :scratchchin:

it looks like holes for the wing on the under side of the deck lid  , maybe they filled the holes on top  :shruggy:

however if it were me selling this car i would have posted a few pics of it dirty the gave it a bath . and then posted pics of the whole car + motor , underneath .detailed photos say alot  .
1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

71gtx

B51            Power Assisted Brakes

J46            Locking Gas Cap

J78            240km Speedometer

N96            Fresh Air Hood

J81            Rear Spoiler – Wing Type 70-2

E74             Order Number

A34             Roof Type OR Color:  Light Trailer Tow Package

A62            Rallye Instrument Cluster

B51             Power Assisted Brakes

FC7            Plum Crazy Purple/In-Violet Irid

J25            3 Speed Variable Wipers

J45             Hood Tie Down Pins

M21             Roof Drip Rail Moldings

FC7             Plum Crazy Purple/In-Violet Irid
U                 Built to Specifications for US Order

N96             High-Altitude Emission
R11            Music Master Radio AM

C16            Console w/Buckets
C55            Bucket Seats

G36            Left Hand Remote, Right Hand Manual Outside Mirror

V6W            White Longitude Sports Stripe

N41            Dual Exhaust w/o Tips

N42            Chrome Duel Exhaust Tips

N85            Tachometer

Read the fender tag codes from that car. Obviously, someone needs to learn how to do some deciphering.  :smilielol: :rotz:

J78            240km Speedometer   :eyes: is  J78    Front spoiler(s)

fc7_plumcrazy

Quote from: bill440rt on February 27, 2012, 08:21:11 AM
Quote from: resq302 on February 27, 2012, 07:25:48 AM

Easy. The factory FC7 paintjobs were horrible, and commonly failed (peeled, faded). Finding a survivor FC7 car with nice paint is tough, they are far & few between. The car could have also been raced before & perhaps it had some custom shit on it.  Just speculation, who the heck knows??  :shruggy:

I agree the seller is doing a poor job representing this car. All a buyer has to go on is his typed description. Sure, he's telling us it's real (It's really real! REALLY it is!!!), but there's no photos to back it up.
It's up to $125K right now, no way would I be in on it without seeing/touching/smelling some original paperwork.
:Twocents:

any original paint FC7 Mopar is hard to find. Even if the paint is in bad shape

Carsten