News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The Food Police in our Schools

Started by chargerboy69, February 14, 2012, 04:22:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargerboy69

Sometimes I can not believe the headlines I am reading.  Well, let me say if this happened in California, I guess I would not be all that surprised. I am guessing next they will be handing out brown shirts with every school lunch purchased. This goes further than one party or one administration, this has been coming for years.  The question is how much more of this bullsh!t are we going to take? 

Just another reason to home-school if possible.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/n-c-food-inspector-sends-girls-lunch-home-after-determining-its-not-healthy-enough/

Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

Fitz73Chrgr

Quote from: chargerboy69 on February 14, 2012, 04:22:55 PM
Just another reason to home-school if possible.

I agree that this oversight of the kid's lunches is beyond overstepping a boundary and undermines the authority of parents.  There are quite a few aspects of our lives that are inspected by different levels of our government that shouldn't be. 

As far as homeschooling goes, it is certainly the right of any parent to take this route.  I personally think it makes kids socially awkward, however.  Kids need to be put in social settings to experience the good and the bad and learn how to deal with it all. 
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

ITSA426

My fear of home schooling is that the kids couldn't turn out any smarter that their parents.  That alone was enough to make me get mine off to school every day!

Ponch ®

Quote from: ITSA426 on February 14, 2012, 04:47:09 PM
My fear of home schooling is that the kids couldn't turn out any smarter that their parents.  That alone was enough to make me get mine off to school every day!

:haha:
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

ChgrSteve67

After reading the story I think someone is getting played.

If I was a kid I would rather eat the chicken nuggets over the turkey sandwich.

Personally I think the schools should serve fresh foods and nothing that is prepared or frozen.
I think the cooks at the schools have become lazy and are in love packaged and processed foods and don't know how to cook anymore. They just pick a menu item off of the frozen food order form.  probably the main reason just about every kid today has an ADD, their diet.

When I went to school I got a 25c so I could buy milk to go with the food in my Superman lunch box. No thermos because my dad knew I would break it after the first 2 minutes.

-Stev

Ponch ®

Quote from: ChgrSteve67 on February 14, 2012, 06:32:06 PM
After reading the story I think someone is getting played.

If I was a kid I would rather eat the chicken nuggets over the turkey sandwich.

Personally I think the schools should serve fresh foods and nothing that is prepared or frozen.
I think the cooks at the schools have become lazy and are in love packaged and processed foods and don't know how to cook anymore. They just pick a menu item off of the frozen food order form.  probably the main reason just about every kid today has an ADD, their diet.

When I went to school I got a 25c so I could buy milk to go with the food in my Superman lunch box. No thermos because my dad knew I would break it after the first 2 minutes.

-Stev

Here in LA recently there was a thing about parents complaining that the food public schools were serving (for free) was unhealthy / bad. My first thought was "since when are schools obligated to feed kids?"? Having attended L.A. public schools, I am well aware that for many kids the food they get in school sometimes is their only meal of the day, and that's a sad situation. Ideally, if schools are going to serve food, then of course healthy would be better. But complaining about it, especially when its FREE?
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Brock Lee

When I went to school in the late 70's and 80's, the food was disgusting. Lots of mystery meat. I went to vocational high school where culinary arts made the food..it was the best school food I ever had up to that point. My attitude was actually better as I wasn't hungry and PO'ed at the inedible garbage I had to toss in years past. I can still remember my stomach churning as we got closer to the cafeteria, smelling the horrid odors of the meal of the day.

1970Moparmann

My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

TK73

I LOVED the greasy tacos in school... the ones you'd crunch into one end and red oil pours out the other end...  YUM
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

greenpigs

QuoteBut complaining about it, especially when its FREE?

Those are the same people that probably say their welfare check isn't enough to live on either.

I think everyone is entitled to eat and if they have to serve food that is a little less than healthy to meet budget so be it.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Tilar

Someone is definitely stepping over the line with this one. The USDA nutrition guidelines are in respect to what the schools can serve the children, NOT what parents feed their kids.  The man that is transportation supervisor in our school, where I work is also food service administrator and we've talked about this type situation in particular.  The school used to bake these big chocolate chip cookies every Friday and sell them for 50 cents, but with the way the new laws are written, They can't sell them to the children anymore. The parents can however buy them and give them to the kids.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

moparstuart

Quote from: TK73 on February 17, 2012, 12:31:51 AM
I LOVED the greasy tacos in school... the ones you'd crunch into one end and red oil pours out the other end...  YUM
you can still get those , you just have to goto Jack in the box  2 for 99 cents     :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Todd Wilson

Quote from: Brock Lee on February 14, 2012, 07:22:35 PM
When I went to school in the late 70's and 80's, the food was disgusting. Lots of mystery meat. I went to vocational high school where culinary arts made the food..it was the best school food I ever had up to that point. My attitude was actually better as I wasn't hungry and PO'ed at the inedible garbage I had to toss in years past. I can still remember my stomach churning as we got closer to the cafeteria, smelling the horrid odors of the meal of the day.

That pretty well sums up my memory of skool lunch in the 70's and 80's..................best thing I remember was the small personal pizza's you could get in High Skool for a dollar...............

Todd

RECHRGD

I went to school in the '50's & '60's.  There was no lack of fatty foods in those days and Mom would pack our lunches anyway she saw fit.  There were very few overweight kids and those who were, were unfortunately open to ridicule.  Today it seems that half the kids I see are fat.  Gee, I wonder if taking away phys ed. has anything to do with that....
13.53 @ 105.32

Ponch ®

Quote from: moparstuart on February 17, 2012, 10:56:09 AM
you can still get those , you just have to goto Jack in the box  2 for 99 cents     :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:

Burger King has them too, but JIB's are better.

moparstuart

Quote from: Ponch ® on February 17, 2012, 12:11:56 PM
Quote from: moparstuart on February 17, 2012, 10:56:09 AM

Burger King has them too, but JIB's are better.
:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: mystery meat but yes very good and runny   :icon_smile_big:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

bull

Quote from: ITSA426 on February 14, 2012, 04:47:09 PM

The only problem with that is they end up dumber than the public school teachers.

Tilar

Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

nh_mopar_fan

More from the "It takes a village" crowd.  :slap: