News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Glass tinted or non tinted?

Started by 1BAD68, February 14, 2012, 09:46:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1BAD68

My wife gave me the green light for a full set of AMD glass  :2thumbs:
Wondering if anyone has pictures of the tinted glass installed?

bill440rt

Both my '69 & '70 have tinted glass.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

1BAD68

Cool, so it's just slightly green tint?
What about the top shaded area, is that optional on the tinted glass?

bill440rt

Yes, just a greenish tint. When placed next to a piece of clear glass it is very noticeable.
Clear windshields did not have the shaded band.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Chatt69chgr

On a 69 charger-------was tinted glass just an option by itself or did you get it automatically with ac option?  Is all the glass tinted---I mean thefront window, back window, door windows, vent window, and quarter windows----or just the windshield?  I didn't pay careful attention but I'm thinking that on my 69 with ac, the front window is tinted but all the others are not----and this was from the factory.

charge69

I know in 1969, you could order a tinted windshield only (G15 on buildsheet and fender tag) or all glass tinted (G11) on either an A/C equipped car or a non-A/C car. I have to believe tinted-windows were an option regardless if equipped with A/C or not but not postitive. My Charger came with no A/C and the G15 option of tinted windshield only.

Brock Lee

1968 had tinted windshield only as an option as well. I had a 1969 AC car that had factory tinted windshield only, I still have the untinted quarter glass with the Airtemp sticker. So there were obviously options in terms of glass tint and AC. Like many other things with these, there are option combinations, often packages that make certain combos so common, they are almost the standard. 

Patronus

Be ready for tempering marks from AMD.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

FLG

Quote from: Patronus on February 14, 2012, 02:37:25 PM
Be ready for tempering marks from AMD.

Thats really every glass now adays, nothing you can do..but you will only see it under the right light.

Chatt69chgr

I scratched the back window when getting the blasted outside molding off.  I could reuse it if I had to.  So it's either a old piece of scratched glass or a new piece of glass with temper marks.

404NOTFOUND

If it were me, I would spend the money on a Dremel tool and practice polishing another scratched piece of glass and then tackle the one on the Charger once I got the technique right.
My 1969 Charger. RIP......Rest in pieces.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: charge69 on February 14, 2012, 01:25:19 PM
I know in 1969, you could order a tinted windshield only (G15 on buildsheet and fender tag) or all glass tinted (G11) on either an A/C equipped car or a non-A/C car. I have to believe tinted-windows were an option regardless if equipped with A/C or not but not postitive. My Charger came with no A/C and the G15 option of tinted windshield only.

Correct....

Tinted glass was a "recommended" option if you opted for A/C...it did not automatically come with the A/C option....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Patronus

Have we any reports of aftermarket tinting hiding the tempering marks??
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Brock Lee

Why buy tinted glass if you are going aftermarket tint it? I would assume it would not hide it as aftermarket tint is usually on the back of the glass.

moparfan53

Here is some info regarding glass I find interesting. As shown on the 69 Charger data book page below, there was an option (G21) required to get clear glass with a/c. I cannot imagine anybody ordering a/c and not wanting any tinted glass. :shruggy:

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: bill440rt on February 14, 2012, 09:54:08 AM
Both my '69 & '70 have tinted glass.

you big pimpin in that green one.....

six-tee-nine

I have the G11 "tinted glass all windows" option and I really like the look of it. If i were to order a new set of glass iwould not doubt for a second and order tinted glass.
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

404NOTFOUND

I also have the G11 tinted glass option. I really like the look of it. My car was originally an AC car. Does anyone here have a factory non AC car with the G11 tint?
My 1969 Charger. RIP......Rest in pieces.

1BAD68

Can you guys post some picture's?
I'm about to pull the trigger on a kit but not sure whether to get tinted or not.

bill440rt

Here's a how-to thread I did about installing side glass. The green tint on the glass is very visible in the photos. When installed the green hue is not that noticeable. It does a decent job of keeping out hot sun rays, but of course not like today's black-out.
A clear piece of glass is just that: clear, with no tint at all.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,39415.0.html

bill440rt

This car has clear glass. There is no shaded band across the top of the windshield, either.

six-tee-nine

These are one of the few pictures I have with the glass still in the car when I bought it.

Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...