News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is 2 gal. enough for topcoating a Charger?

Started by b5blue, February 13, 2012, 05:37:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b5blue

I want enough single stage urethane to topcoat my Charger (white) and have some leftover for repairs/redo if needed, 2 gal do it?  :shruggy: (I want to match batches by ordering from the same lot, it's a standard color.) 

Patronus

You could do it in one if you used white primer or sealer... Dont forget your mix ratio, if its 4:1 then you actually have 1.25 gal. White would cover grey primer alright though. 2 gal. is plenty.  :Twocents:
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

bill440rt

Neal, do you know the mix ratio of the paint?

I'm inclined to say yes. I would think 1-1/2 gallons should do it, but it all depends on the mix ratio & how well it covers. To use a PPG analogy, 1-1/2 gallons of Deltron no problem. But their lower line Omni I'd say no because it doesn't cover as well & has less of a mix ratio.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

b5blue

Thanks! Yup 3/4 paint and 1/4 activator = 1gal is how it's sold for just under 90.00 shipped ea  :scratchchin: 

bill440rt

So, mix ratio then is 3:1? 3 quarts of paint will give you 1 gal of sprayable material? No reducer??

I'm inclined to say yes you will have enough. Even more so if your car is getting a vinyl top. Are you doing the inner jambs/undersides as well? You'd need more paint in that case.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

elitecustombody

I would suggest buying white sealer or epoxy primer ,just reduce it and it can be used as a sealer,that way you have superior adhesion,nice foundation for your color and very easy coverage. :Twocents: 

AMD-Auto Metal Direct  Distributor, email me for all your shetmetal needs

Stefan