News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

smoke wafting from exhaust after stopping engine

Started by Wolfie, February 28, 2012, 03:17:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfie

so i was warming my car up this morning and had to stop the engine to run upstairs to use the bathroom but noticed when i stopped the car that there was smoke wafting from one of the tail pipes. i stood watching for a while because i wasnt sure if something was burning inside but didnt smell any sort of burning smell? is this normal? ive never noticed it before. the smoke went away after a few minutes
New to the muscle car/mopar addiction so bare with the "dumb" things I'm likely to ask all of you. Just trying to learn and gotta start somewhere! Cheers!

Wolfie

i thought id add this as well - again im new to cars and trying to learn. i also notice the clear liquid shooting out upon starting the engine. i was worried i had a fuel leak as was suggested to me before in a previous post of mine (abouts plumes of smoke while warming car up) but got it checked out and the guy said all was fine. btw, the smoke im referencing above 'wafting' appeared more as if it was a cigarette with smoke slowly burning off the end, not the standard plumes of smoke upon start up/idle of the car,etc.

sorry if these are 'stupid' or 'newb' questions, but help me learn fellas!  :-\

New to the muscle car/mopar addiction so bare with the "dumb" things I'm likely to ask all of you. Just trying to learn and gotta start somewhere! Cheers!

Just 6T9 CHGR

Normal condensation in exhaust upon cold start.....byproduct of combustion.  When exhaust heats up it burns this condensation off (white fog from exhaust)

One way/reason that the exhaust rots from inside out if running short trips etc....exh never gets to fully heat up to burn off condensation
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

flyinlow

That's a sure sign of bad muffler bearings. ... :smilielol:    

If your engine is running normally and not using coolant, it is just normal condensation.   :2thumbs:

Wolfie

im sure another dumb question but how do i know if its using the coolant?

Wolfie

also engine seems to be running fine from what i can tell  :shruggy:

ChargerST

my Charger is the same when I start her up when the engine is cold. Smell the liquid - it is pure water! coolant has a distinct smell - you will notice. If you have a coolant leak (head gasket) then you'll see white smoke coming out of the tail pipes even when the engine has warmed up.

white smoke = water
blue smoke = oil
black smoke = fuel (running too rich)

68X426

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on February 28, 2012, 09:17:12 PM
Normal condensation in exhaust upon cold start.....byproduct of combustion.  When exhaust heats up it burns this condensation off (white fog from exhaust)

What he said. It's normal, espcially on a non-cat system.

This is what you should be concerned about:

Is that why they were called Firebirds?

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

resq302

Even with my daily driver, my 07 F150 has condensation blowing out of the exhaust after I just start it up.  Its normal.  Keep checking your coolant (when it is cold) and notice if the coolant level has dropped any significant amount.  Add if necessary but I highly doubt you have any issues from what pics you have shown.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

flyinlow

Quote from: Wolfie on February 29, 2012, 12:52:24 AM
im sure another dumb question but how do i know if its using the coolant?

Are you adding coolant to the radiator on a regular basis?

Even if you are, you would check for an external leak first: radiator,waterpump,hoses,heater core,heater control valve or freeze plugs. All of these would leave antifreeze on the garage floor or passenger floor if the heater leaked.