News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wiper arms. Clean and buff or mount 'em and forget 'em

Started by bull, February 09, 2012, 04:39:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

Is there a good way to polish the wiper arms before installation or is that someting people usually don't mess with?

Ghoste

The original ones had a dull finish to reduce glare so I don't know that I would polish them too much.

bill440rt

x2    :iagree:

Use a mild metal polish on them to clean them up a bit or if there is any staining on the metal. Don't use anything too aggressive. You don't want to make them shine, just nice & clean.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Chatt69chgr

I don't think that anyone has repoped the arms either.

Ghoste

twodko

Hi Bull,

I tried to polish mine up before I reinstalled them but they are stainless with some kind of dull OEM finish. I just cleaned mine up and put them on.

On another note, some very bad juju befell me this week. As soon as I resize some pix I'm post with the story.  :'(
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

bill440rt

Quote from: Ghoste on February 09, 2012, 12:41:29 PM
I thought someone was now??

Blades, yes. Herb's has them.
I don't think the arms, though.  :shruggy:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Brock Lee

Yeah, as said the originals were dull. Almost like the metal was media blasted with a fine material. Shiny was a couple years earlier.

Ghoste

Correct, I believe 1967 was the first year for the dull finish arms.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Ghoste on February 09, 2012, 04:45:14 PM
Correct, I believe 1967 was the first year for the dull finish arms.

I kinda like the shiny version as well...a friend has them on his '70 Charger & they look pretty cool
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

bull

Thanks. It will be a nice break to not have to paint, plate, powdercoat, media blast and otherwise make something shiny.

gtx6970

Actually, I believe the arms them selves were satin nickle chrome( think steering wheel spokes ) finished with what I think is a natural aluminum base

wiper blades were this same satin nickle chrome finish

bill440rt

Quote from: gtx6970 on February 10, 2012, 07:50:02 AM
Actually, I believe the arms them selves were satin nickle chrome( think steering wheel spokes ) finished with what I think is a natural aluminum base

Bill, I always thought they might have been stainless?  :shruggy:  Perhaps that is the reason why they can be polished.
I know the base that goes over the pivot is white/pot metal, or aluminum. I'm leaning towards pot metal because it doesn't oxidize like bare aluminum would.

Ghoste

They do seem to get those deep acne craters like a pot metal piece dont they.

gtx6970

Quote from: bill440rt on February 10, 2012, 08:08:30 AM

Bill, I always thought they might have been stainless?  :shruggy:  Perhaps that is the reason why they can be polished.
I know the base that goes over the pivot is white/pot metal, or aluminum. I'm leaning towards pot metal because it doesn't oxidize like bare aluminum would.

Not 100% sure be them stainless or plated steel and I do not have a magnet here to ck

potmetal base is more likely.
arms

Dino

Quote from: bull on February 09, 2012, 04:39:08 AM
Is there a good way to polish the wiper arms before installation or is that someting people usually don't mess with?

You probably want to stick to fine steel wool to clean them up.  It gives you good control to clean them up without making them to shiny. 
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

bull

Quote from: Dino on February 10, 2012, 12:57:26 PM
Quote from: bull on February 09, 2012, 04:39:08 AM

You probably want to stick to fine steel wool to clean them up.  It gives you good control to clean them up without making them to shiny. 

Yea, I was kind of thinking 0000 steel wool, if anything.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: gtx6970 on February 10, 2012, 11:09:31 AM
Quote from: bill440rt on February 10, 2012, 08:08:30 AM

Bill, I always thought they might have been stainless?  :shruggy:  Perhaps that is the reason why they can be polished.

Not 100% sure be them stainless or plated steel and I do not have a magnet here to ck

potmetal base is more likely.
arms

Ive never seen a rusty one,so Id bet on stainless.

Also, you can get correct replacement wiper blades at Napa. They are in thier "Classic" line. They are the same one the resto supply places are selling. The Napa ones are just less money.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

jb666

Mine are off now, and I was seconds away from posting a new thread about it, when I found this...

:cheers: