News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Losing my cool-ant

Started by billschroeder5842, January 21, 2012, 03:01:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billschroeder5842

I found a good size puddle of coolant under my radiator today. It looks like it is coming from the top of the radiator just where the tank meets the core. The car is drivable, but leaks however I made it home. I tis a 69 with a 383, AT and A/C. So now what to do...

There does not seem to be any parts houses that carry a 26" radiator that fits.The only one I found was NAPA at 307.00.
There is a radiator repair shop near my house but hey give me a BIG range for an estimate on repair and/or recore: 100-500

Any one know of a place that has direct fit radiators that line up with all the holes and mounting hardware-I'm concerned with all the universal stuff out there.

Amy I better off "sucking it up" and repairing what I have? At least I know it will go back together when I'm done?

Anyone have one that they want to unload?

Thoughts?
Texas Proud!

b5blue

I had a hell of a time finding a shop to repair my brass Modine radiator. Clean and repair (top seam leak like you.) 95.00. Only 1 shop in all the Tampa Bay area will even consider brass radiators at all. Modine stopped making radiators for our cars a few years back so I was screwed on my "10 Year Warranty". Everything is aluminum now that I find. (That reminds me I better pull that thing and get it fixed ASAP!)

billschroeder5842

Well looking around didn't turn up much. Year One has one but I thinkk I'm better off just fixing my origional.
Texas Proud!

Cooter

The main rpoblem with repairing Brass/copper radiators/heater cores today is the LEAD used in repair work. Nobody wants to die anymore, so the EPA has gotten tight on repair shops. Everything today is plastic/aluminum, so no need to repair.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

71green go

I am in Ontario Canada and the local (10 mins from my door) rad shop (Redi Rad) is recoring my 22" numbers match rad with a newer type core....the factory one had 1/2" cores inside and the new High efficiency core they are doing (copper) is 3/4" cores........50% minimum more flow and capacity then old 22" cores...
Cost before tax is $375.....they are also removing dents in the top tank....
Is yours a numbers match rad?.........if so REDO it...believe me looking for the correct rad that matched my build sheet was a very expensive time consuming venture.

jaak

A local repair shop gave me a quote of $480 to recore my 26" that was in my 69. I bought a new Champion aluminum radiator, and painted it semi-gloss black. I bought the 2 core, and it was 189.99 IIRC.

As far as fit, it fit pretty good, but because of a rib in the core support I had to shim it out about 3/16" from the rad support (I have read where some folks cut this rib out, to make it sit flush, but I didn't want to cut my core support). Also there are four holes drilled to mount the fan shroud (some folks have had issues with the u-nuts not fitting on there because the flange is too thick), I simply tapped the holes with a 5/16" tap, then used 3/4" long 5/16" bolts to mount the shroud to the radiator.

Jason

Chatt69chgr

US Radiator in California makes a direct fit brass radiator that fits the 69 with 26 inch radiator.  It looks like the original except doesn't have the stamped numbers/letters on it.  They have a website.

billschroeder5842

Dropped the radiator off at Millers Radiator in Euless Texas. I'm not going to take a chance of it not fitting plus it keeps my "mostly stoc" look going. I'll pick it up on Friday so I'll keep you all posted on the damages. :scratchchin:
Texas Proud!

billschroeder5842

Picked up the radiator today. A smooth $570 for a full recore, however Millers did a nice job.

I took off work a bit early and installed the radiator. I'm glad I kept the same radiator as the install was silky smooth, without any glitches. I ran the car a bit around town with no leaks and the gauge read just what it should.

Ready for the weekend!
Texas Proud!

b5blue

Cool! (Get it....cool, I made a pun!)  :cheers:

Steve P.

HOLY CRAP.. $570 for a recore??     :eek2:   

Take me to the ALUMINUM leader....
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

nvrbdn

glad it all worked out. back on the road :2thumbs: i just went aluminum.  :yesnod:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House