News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wow... Govier is a brave soul on moparts....

Started by hemi68charger, February 06, 2012, 02:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vainglory, Esq.

Quote from: duanesterrr on February 28, 2012, 03:59:11 PM
As a newbie to the MOPAR hobby I still don't understand the significance of this guy.  Maybe I never will.  I see Craigslist adds that say "verified by GG" and what not... am I supposed to pay more for this?

What does he provide that I can't find in 15 minutes or less using google? 

Somewhere Galen is reading this and saying "crap, they're on to me."

472 R/T SE

From what I gathered over there, a lot of folks wrote checks that were never cashed.   :shruggy:

Now I'd be pissed that certain promises were never kept but I don't think I'd carry that anger around for years.  For one thing it's not good for ya'.

resq302

just because they haven't been cashed yet doesn't mean that they can't be cashed.  My bank recently told me that they never really "stale dated" a check.  Meaning that if a check is written at any time, if it is lost and not had a stop payment put on that check, it is still good as cash.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Ponch ®

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on March 02, 2012, 03:45:01 AM
From what I gathered over there, a lot of folks wrote checks that were never cashed.   :shruggy:

Now I'd be pissed that certain promises were never kept but I don't think I'd carry that anger around for years.  For one thing it's not good for ya'.

Just dont bring up the dodge-charger.com t-shirts around here..
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Ghoste

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: resq302 on March 02, 2012, 06:43:18 AM
just because they haven't been cashed yet doesn't mean that they can't be cashed.  My bank recently told me that they never really "stale dated" a check.  Meaning that if a check is written at any time, if it is lost and not had a stop payment put on that check, it is still good as cash.

First time i have heard that. At work we can't even put a stop payment on a check over 6 months old as they automaticly are void/staledated. Mind you we have come across cases where the bank cashed a check past 6 months but as soon as we brought it to their attention we received the money back.

TheGhost

Quote from: Ghoste on March 02, 2012, 10:20:28 AM
Are there many of us who remember that?

Definitely a way to tell the old guys from the new.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

charger_fan_4ever

Vainglory, Esq.

Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on March 02, 2012, 10:22:44 AM

First time i have heard that. At work we can't even put a stop payment on a check over 6 months old as they automaticly are void/staledated. Mind you we have come across cases where the bank cashed a check past 6 months but as soon as we brought it to their attention we received the money back.

This goes to commercial paper law in the Uniform Commercial Code Article 4.  Technically, banks have discretion as to whether they pay checks dated 6 months old or older.  Most banks will have explicit policies, but given the volume of checks cleared in any given day, there are certainly gray areas and checks that slip through the cracks.  Many banks will be accommodating to drawers when a check is "stale," but they do not have to be.

As for the stop payment orders, those are technically valid for 6 months.  Your bank probably has a written stale check policy that moots stop payments for 6 month+ checks.  Many banks do not, and in some cases, stop payments should be updated after 6 months from the original stop payment order.

Ultimately the law gives banks a great deal of leeway here, probably in acknowledgement of the fact that they clear massive amounts of checks and cannot have as tight control over them as they would like.  If you find yourself in a stale check- or stop payment-type situation, you really need to check with your bank and see what their policies are so that you can protect yourself.

Ponch ®

Quote from: Vainglory, Esq. on March 02, 2012, 02:18:49 PM
Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on March 02, 2012, 10:22:44 AM

This goes to commercial paper law in the Uniform Commercial Code Article 4.  Technically, banks have discretion as to whether they pay checks dated 6 months old or older.  Most banks will have explicit policies, but given the volume of checks cleared in any given day, there are certainly gray areas and checks that slip through the cracks.  Many banks will be accommodating to drawers when a check is "stale," but they do not have to be.

As for the stop payment orders, those are technically valid for 6 months.  Your bank probably has a written stale check policy that moots stop payments for 6 month+ checks.  Many banks do not, and in some cases, stop payments should be updated after 6 months from the original stop payment order.

Ultimately the law gives banks a great deal of leeway here, probably in acknowledgement of the fact that they clear massive amounts of checks and cannot have as tight control over them as they would like.  If you find yourself in a stale check- or stop payment-type situation, you really need to check with your bank and see what their policies are so that you can protect yourself.

what do you know about this stuff anyway?  :icon_smile_big:
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Ghoste

Quote from: TheGhost on March 02, 2012, 01:23:31 PM
Quote from: Ghoste on March 02, 2012, 10:20:28 AM
Are there many of us who remember that?

Definitely a way to tell the old guys from the new.

For the sake of the new guys and Troy then, we should point out that this incident is something that happened on the old Charger site, NOT this one.  Therefore you needn't worry about scandals or closet skeletons.

greenpigs

Troy might have some skeletons, but he is NO thief. :yesnod:
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Chryco Psycho

I still have a Charger shirt but I picked it up in person

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Ghoste on February 29, 2012, 01:29:15 PM
The difference with Pontiac and Ford (imo) is that those services are coming from the factory (Kevin Marti is of course an aftermarket service but he has the complete records from Ford).  Galen is just a compiler and it has led to a lot of BAD information.  For example, it has become the norm to cite a Galen production record as official such as "according to GG, this car is 1 of 3 made with green stripes on a yellow exterior with polka dot fun fur on the dash".  When what they are actually saying is that it is one of the 3 that someone paid GG to put in his database.
His personal stamps of approval haven't exactly panned out to be perfect either even though he insists they are.  In that sense I would put him with Bloomington (another service I hold in low regard).  To my opinion, Bloomington are a series of shows that have published a guideline that they have declared to be the authority on what is correct and what isnt. 
The NCRS are better IMO but not owning a Vette I can only judge both of those organizations from where I happen to be looking across the fence.
If GG had actual factory records he was sharing, even if it were for profit like Marti, I would have more respect for his "services".  As it is, he is a Mopar history buff who is able to give fairly accurate hypothesis on many (not all) topics by weight of observation. :Twocents:

Bloomington - years ago was a lot better. It is way easier to get Gold there now. NCRS is the best for Vette's. Now we need a similar venue for our Mopars!!

TUFCAT

Hey Maxwell, wanna be the new Mopar Guru? :shruggy:  

moparstuart

Quote from: TUFCAT on March 02, 2012, 07:54:51 PM
Hey Maxwell, wanna be our new Mopar Guru? :shruggy:  I think there's a job opening. :D 
yeah daddy  :D
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

maxwellwedge

Hey Maxwell, wanna be our new Mopar Guru? :shruggy:  I think there's a job opening. :D 

No way man! My desk is already piled high and not with checks!  :lol:

XS29LA47V21

Quote from: maxwellwedge on March 02, 2012, 08:10:18 PM

No way man! My desk is already piled high and not with checks!  :lol:

OK then, how about writting a book thats for the die hards, you could collaborate with a couple others and I will want to buy one.           (not for the wife buying Xmas present for coffee table)

Bob T

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on March 02, 2012, 07:29:38 PM
I still have a Charger shirt but I picked it up in person

Yeah , I got one here too, sent out to the antipodes no less  :lol:
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

moparstuart

I got this message today    :shruggy:   

Hey Stuart, I thought you would think this was really cool, one of my best friends just bought one of Galen Govier's personal cars he has had since 1986, it's a 1 of 1 built 1968 Dodge Coronet 440 body style with a factory 426 Hemi, 4spd. Dana60, was ordered by the son of the owner of a Dodge dealership, has a really interesting history, my buddy has already drove it about 400 miles, he is taking it to performance injection equipment to get it dyno tuned since it was never really driven much, runs rich under hard acceleration. Galen must have fallen on hard times to sell this one.

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

tan top

Quote from: moparstuart on June 28, 2012, 06:20:09 AM
I got this message today    :shruggy:   

Hey Stuart, I thought you would think this was really cool, one of my best friends just bought one of Galen Govier's personal cars he has had since 1986, it's a 1 of 1 built 1968 Dodge Coronet 440 body style with a factory 426 Hemi, 4spd. Dana60, was ordered by the son of the owner of a Dodge dealership, has a really interesting history, my buddy has already drove it about 400 miles, he is taking it to performance injection equipment to get it dyno tuned since it was never really driven much, runs rich under hard acceleration. Galen must have fallen on hard times to sell this one.

:scratchchin: think it was that  blue one on Ebay a while back  :yesnod:  :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Ghoste

So he'd been trying to sell it for a while then?

TUFCAT

He works at Masterpeice Classic Cars so why not?.

Old Moparz

I wonder....

If you sit in the driver's seat of that car, hold the wheel, close your eyes while rubbing your ass side to side on the vinyl, do you gain any special Mopar knowledge?   :shruggy:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Dino

Quote from: Old Moparz on June 28, 2012, 01:12:49 PM
I wonder....

If you sit in the driver's seat of that car, hold the wheel, close your eyes while rubbing your ass side to side on the vinyl, do you gain any special Mopar knowledge?   :shruggy:

You sure do:  Don't rub your butt on vinyl, especially when the humidity is low! 
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.