News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

OMG! I need a Bird nose! Who has one or does a quality reproduction???

Started by rainbow4jd, January 27, 2012, 01:42:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopar4ya

rainbow4jd

Dan, I want to make sure its OK to provide his information.   I presume that it will be - but some people are funny about things like that, and I would rather ask permission first.   Please stay tuned.    Once I get his permission I will actually start a new thread just to recommend him.  I editted my other response to take his name and info out, until I get permission.  Hope I'm not being a pain.  I'll ask my Rebuilder to contact the vendor for permission.

hemi68charger

That's awesome you were able to get what you want.. Sounds like you have an awesome body man................  But, I say this from experience, make sure he understands all the "little detail" things as well when it comes to Mopars. I have seen people in the past have their Chargers, Road Runners, etc restored by the most talented of body men, but there were things that were left out or done "incorrectly". For example, on the 2nd generation Chargers,( '68-'70), the seams between the end caps and the rear valance were NOT filled in, only the end caps to quarters. Now, I know you're working on a Plymouth. I just trying to illustrate that the best of intentions have a "not-so-good" outcome. If he's fluent in Mopar-specific body construction, awesome !!!  If he's not, make sure he has an open mind to customer input...

Congrads,
Troy

PS. If you need help loading pictures, PM or do a search, I believe there are threads on this.. The most important thing is to resize/rescale the picture to make sure it is 200 Kb or smaller.
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Redbird

When you use reproduction parts for something, especially something as visible as a nose cone, there is almost always a "tell". It maybe something small. My suggestion is to be consistently upfront about it like you have been.

rainbow4jd

In double reply..... I am fortunate that I have a lot of personal Mopar experience and my best friend, Bryan Skanes, has tremendous Mopar experience.  Our run of cars have included...

hemi coronet
daytona
superbirds (2 were mine)
hemi gtx (me and Bryan split that one)
aar cuda
t/a challenger
three 440-6 cudas (2 were mine)
rt/se challenger (me and Bryan split that one)

And the big ones.... Dan Gurney's AAR Cuda, Sam Posey's Trans Am Challenger, and Petty's Saturday Night special race cars

So, I am pretty lucky to have the knowledge base and expertise to make sure we do it right.

Now, the other thing... what defines a repair, a reproduction, or a clone?

My general opinion is a nose repair is body work and no different than putting new quarters in or hanging a new fender.  I know some people get all excited about this and if they want to do so.... that's their issue not mine.   This is a restored matching numbers vehicle.  So, I intend to fully disclose all repairs and in fact keep a detailed restoration photo notebook (because any future buyer will need to see the detailed level of quality that I've put into this - If I ever hope to get any of the money back from the quality of the restoration.  It has to be good and it has to be documented).   

That being said, the reason I am hanging onto the original nose is to ensure that it DOES match and there are no "tells".   

But from a conversation standpoint.... "I had to redo the quarters and we replaced the nose.  Here's the pictures."   After that it's.... "Show me your money and I'll give you the details."  Otherwise, I am happy and that's the only opinion that matters.  If somebody wants to hate - have at it.  To me, the only opinions that count are mine and those of someone far down the road who might decide to write me a check. 

I will be honest, accurate, and documented about everything we do.  But for the guy who tries to piss on my parade becaue I don't have the "original air in my tires" - I don't have any time for his pettiness (no pun intended).

PS That's not intended at any person on this board, just general comments about how I feel about "restoration haters"

moparstuart

Quote from: rainbow4jd on February 07, 2012, 06:44:52 PM
In double reply..... I am fortunate that I have a lot of personal Mopar experience and my best friend, Bryan Skanes, has tremendous Mopar experience.  Our run of cars have included...

hemi coronet
daytona
superbirds (2 were mine)
hemi gtx (me and Bryan split that one)
aar cuda
t/a challenger
three 440-6 cudas (2 were mine)
rt/se challenger (me and Bryan split that one)

And the big ones.... Dan Gurney's AAR Cuda, Sam Posey's Trans Am Challenger, and Petty's Saturday Night special race cars

So, I am pretty lucky to have the knowledge base and expertise to make sure we do it right.

Now, the other thing... what defines a repair, a reproduction, or a clone?

My general opinion is a nose repair is body work and no different than putting new quarters in or hanging a new fender.  I know some people get all excited about this and if they want to do so.... that's their issue not mine.   This is a restored matching numbers vehicle.  So, I intend to fully disclose all repairs and in fact keep a detailed restoration photo notebook (because any future buyer will need to see the detailed level of quality that I've put into this - If I ever hope to get any of the money back from the quality of the restoration.  It has to be good and it has to be documented).   

That being said, the reason I am hanging onto the original nose is to ensure that it DOES match and there are no "tells".   

But from a conversation standpoint.... "I had to redo the quarters and we replaced the nose.  Here's the pictures."   After that it's.... "Show me your money and I'll give you the details."  Otherwise, I am happy and that's the only opinion that matters.  If somebody wants to hate - have at it.  To me, the only opinions that count are mine and those of someone far down the road who might decide to write me a check. 

I will be honest, accurate, and documented about everything we do.  But for the guy who tries to piss on my parade becaue I don't have the "original air in my tires" - I don't have any time for his pettiness (no pun intended).

PS That's not intended at any person on this board, just general comments about how I feel about "restoration haters"
:2thumbs:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

DonC1

Speaking of stamped ' noses '...this is a great set of books that reveals much insight into metal stamping processes etc..

http://www.autofuturist.org/Book-4-Preview.php