News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wheeler Dealers

Started by Hemidog, January 31, 2012, 02:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemidog

Here's some entertainment for y'all:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb1YWEj_D0o

It's refreshing to see a car program you can actually see what they are doing, and without product placement and stupid jokes...

bakerhillpins

I like WD. Good show. Was nice to see them take on a Charger.   :yesnod:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

nvrbdn

and the 57 4 door turned out fantastic also. i like the show.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

41husk

First time i had seen the show.  I loved it!!! :cheers:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Paul G

Once the spanners are out and the niggly bits are sorted, lol.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

moparstuart

they did a jensen interceptor last night that came with a chrysler 440 in it
Man that thing must scream !!!!   :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

67Charger440

I watch it on occasion, and I saw the Jensen last night...  Decent show, and refreshingly void of "So now we're going to grab the new power-whatzit from who-cares, because it just makes it so easy to  ______.  You know, lets take a minute to check out the new thingamajig from so'n'no.  They've done a great job, and now you can just bolt on the entire (half of car) and be better than new.  Oh, by the way, there's a car around here somewhere..."  Generally these guys buy a decent runner, clean up the paint/body, do the safety "bits", and give it a good tune-up and seem to average about a 10 - 20% profit margin out an almost realistic cost tally.

Gregory

Agreed, great show. Its funny how much you notice the lack of product placement, its sad really. but good job with the Charger!!

Budnicks

They really do a decent job, I'm suprized how they can make any money taking them all the way from the US to England...  I guess they have a stronger lower end market for theses cars.... Their accents & car slang is kind of hard to follow at times though, like Car=Motor  Spanner=Wrench  Boot=Trunk  Bodgy=Bad & many others, too many to list... Entertaining metrosexual guys
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

71green go

Thanks for posting!...I watched it at work during lunch...made my day much nicer!
steve

Paul G

They don't include any labor costs. If you figured that in, how much would they actually be making on any of them? I think it is geared more for the do-it-your-selfer, guys like us. We can take an old car and make it respectable again.

I used to do what they are doing. I worked shift work in a steel mill. Had my days free, worked week ends, had two days off during the week. I had plenty of time to chase down "dodgy motors". Drag em home, repair and detail. Drive em for a few months and then "sell on for a profit". I "shifted" lots of cars there for a while. Always drove something different, and I kept myself occupied. Maybe that's why I like watching that show so much. 
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.

Paul G

Oh, and that slang they use does get catchy!

Budnicks

"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

Darkman

Quote from: Paul G on February 02, 2012, 06:16:34 PM
They don't include any labor costs. If you figured that in, how much would they actually be making on any of them? I think it is geared more for the do-it-your-selfer, guys like us. We can take an old car and make it respectable again.

I used to do what they are doing. I worked shift work in a steel mill. Had my days free, worked week ends, had two days off during the week. I had plenty of time to chase down "dodgy motors". Drag em home, repair and detail. Drive em for a few months and then "sell on for a profit". I "shifted" lots of cars there for a while. Always drove something different, and I kept myself occupied. Maybe that's why I like watching that show so much. 

Paul, you are spot on...It is aimed for the average guy showing them how to buy, redo and on sell cars. That is why they don't factor in labour costs. They do highlight the "tricky bits" that the average backyarder can't do themselves and give them a guideline on the costs if a workshop did it.

I like the show also. It gives us a bit more confidence to tackle the smaller jobs ourselves
Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

cavemanno1

they made no money on that charger!they didn't include the labor cost,plain ticket,car hire,hotel and time!they say they made a 850pounds profit but without counting all the other costs i just listed!plus two of them spending all that time with the car looking at it and fixing her up for 400quid?unlikely but maybe it's just me!
now here in Europe everyone thinks that 20000pound sterling get you a immaculate charger!Hell these cars start around that price tag!they sold it for 20k so it would be sold quick!IMO
as someone said in the earlier thread about the same topic,these guys do it for the show and not so much for the profit!i mean they get payed doing the show!
they never said if it was an original 4speed or not!would be a nice car neverless if it was a '69 :nana:!

NHCharger

Thought it was entertaining. The guy at Hidden Valley Auto Parts poked him pretty good on the parts.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Back N Black

Loved the show, did you see the quarter mile times? first run 18 +,second run 17+. They were excited with the speed!  :shruggy:

nvrbdn

yea, they thought they were really kicking it. :smilielol:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

TUFCAT

Quote from: NHCharger on February 02, 2012, 06:54:52 PM
Thought it was entertaining. The guy at Hidden Valley Auto Parts poked him pretty good on the parts.

:iagree:  ... no "wheelin dealin" there! 

bobs66440

Quote from: moparstuart on February 02, 2012, 10:43:01 AM
they did a jensen interceptor last night that came with a chrysler 440 in it
Man that thing must scream !!!!   :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:

I just finished watching that one. I thought they sold it cheap though... :shruggy:

Brass

Quote from: TUFCAT on February 02, 2012, 08:11:09 PM
Quote from: NHCharger on February 02, 2012, 06:54:52 PM

:iagree:  ... no "wheelin dealin" there!  

Yeah, what a piece work that guy was.  I thought: Let me get this straight... This guy is on TV with the host of a show called Wheelin' Dealin', he's getting free publicity for his business, and he won't give the guy a deal.  Not even a friendly, token discount on parts I thought were priced high to begin with.  To me, it made him look cheap and miserly rather than a hard negotiator.  Also seemed like a good way to alienate any potential customers who were watching.

Dino

I noticed the car didn't have upper door pads.  Does this mean it's a base model?  Not too familiar with the '70 specs.  

These guys never complained about th ebrakes though so I guess the discs really do their thing.

Although the long shackles looked a bit dated, I love the stance of the car before they put the original shackles on.

Oh and I guess I hadn't seen the show in a while, Mike got a bit 'rounder' there!
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

nh_mopar_fan

Been watching this show for a while.

There have been a few shows where they end up netting a couple hundred pounds on a car and I think to myself, "Really? After all that?"

six-tee-nine

In the end its still television so maybe the profit is not all that big deal....
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

aussiemuscle

it's funny i've watched it from series one, the budget for the initial outlay has gone from £500 at the start to latest series £8,000. i guess it got too hard to get cheap cars  :smilielol:

Quote from: Budnicks on February 02, 2012, 05:47:47 PM
t... Entertaining metrosexual guys
not metro, british (similar i know, but not the same thing).