News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My New Garage Floor..What to seal it with?

Started by RIDELIKEHELL, March 20, 2012, 02:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RIDELIKEHELL

Does anyone have any input on what I should use on the floor as far as coating? I have read all about the Epoxy and the plastic tiles as well but think the Epoxy is best. I plan on having my Charger in the back corner and our daily drivers up front. In the winter there will be slush,snow with sand and salt going in there so I want something I can hose down and wash out. I have the floor sloping towards the front obviously. Also have the infloor heat...Anybody?

My thread

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86621.0.html
AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

69 OUR/TEA

I just did the Rustoleum 2 part epoxy,grey,did'nt add the chips,but did add the additive for slip resisitence.Nice stuff.

NHCharger

In my shop I used Behr epoxy paint from H/D. Had to prime the floor first. It's held up fairly well but after seven years it's time for a re-coat. This is my shop where I work on my vehicles, not just park them, the floor takes a lot of abuse.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

ITSA426

I have epoxy on my heated floor.  No floor drain.  I sweep out the snow and slush all winter and keep a mop in the garage to keep it clean.  It's a couple years old and still no sign of wear or damage.  Only real garage issue I've had is the humidity in the garage when a lot of snow melts.  I've had to run a dehumidifier occasionally. Newer cars seem to rust faster going from hot to cold.  We use a lot of salt in Minnesota, and that can't be good.

RIDELIKEHELL

Quote from: ITSA426 on March 21, 2012, 03:54:49 PM
I have epoxy on my heated floor.  No floor drain.  I sweep out the snow and slush all winter and keep a mop in the garage to keep it clean.  It's a couple years old and still no sign of wear or damage.  Only real garage issue I've had is the humidity in the garage when a lot of snow melts.  I've had to run a dehumidifier occasionally. Newer cars seem to rust faster going from hot to cold.  We use a lot of salt in Minnesota, and that can't be good.

Similar climate to ours and they salt the roads as well here with a mix of sand sometimes. I have two dehums actually that arent being used as we dont have a basement in this place just a crawl space. Thx for everyones input :2thumbs: Now I just have to see what the wait time is before I can apply it as it was only poured 10 days ago. One plus is we have had a week of dry 70 plus degree weather so I have had the doors open to let it air out ;)
AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

NHCharger

I'd wait 90 days before applying any coating. Put a couple of box fans in there to circulate the air and help dry the slab.

Its a 426. A heated garage + a wet salty car = accelerated rusting. A buddy of mine has a heated garage for his wife's car. His p/u sits outside year round. He puts twice the miles on his p/u as his wife puts on the car. He can't figure out why his wife's car rusts out twice as fast as his p/u. he has a ford p/u. Wife a ford explorer.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

PocketThunder

Quote from: NHCharger on March 21, 2012, 08:32:59 PM
I'd wait 90 days before applying any coating. Put a couple of box fans in there to circulate the air and help dry the slab.

Its a 426. A heated garage + a wet salty car = accelerated rusting. A buddy of mine has a heated garage for his wife's car. His p/u sits outside year round. He puts twice the miles on his p/u as his wife puts on the car. He can't figure out why his wife's car rusts out twice as fast as his p/u. he has a ford p/u. Wife a ford explorer.

:iagree: 

The concrete guy didnt put any sealer on it after he poured the slab?..??  If not then yes, you have to wait before you can seal it. 
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

69 OUR/TEA

And another way to test,per the instructions in my kit,was to duct tape a 2x2 piece of plastic to the floor and wait a day or two to see if any moisture/condensation is on the inside of the plastic,if there is,your floor is not ready for a coating.
The floor I did was poured in 1958,so I was good.Again,the stuff I used was the Rustoleum from Loews/Homedepot,got alot of good reports from members on Garagejournal that used it.Beleive it or not,some said they had problems with the U-Coat-it stuff and it was more expensive.
Also,I did not add the color flakes that came with,but did add Behr anti slip texture additive becuase if it gets wet or you have dust on it,it can become slippery very fast.

Domino

There's at least another thread or two on here about it...

This is what I used based on non internet word of mount:
http://www.epoxy-coat.com/epoxy_flooring_photo_gallery1.php

U coat it has big name endorsements, but...........