News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Textured Paint for Steering Column, Dash, Tail Panel

Started by Chatt69chgr, January 30, 2012, 06:56:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chatt69chgr

I need to find a source for the textured paint (black) used on the dash and steering column for my 69 Charger project.  Any ideas where I can get this material?

Was the tail panel painted with the same stuff?  If not, what can be used on it to achieve the "from the factory" look.  The tail panel on my car seems to be painted with a black flat textured paint.   

maxwellwedge

The original interior stuff was laquer with a "suede" additive. Long gone know.....others have found stuff that is almost dead nuts....hopefully they will chime in. I think my painter uses gun tricks to replicate the look.

The tail panel was either a flat black or Organosol.....depending on the plant. Both still available.

Brock Lee

maxwellwedge

Yes it is. I meant the Suede additive is long gone now. Lacquer is still around in some States.

gtx6970

I can still get the suede additive locally ( for now )

Mike Mancini at Instrument Specialties has it as well

maxwellwedge

Really Bill? Wow - That's cool - That stuff disappeared around here at about the same time as Asbestos. Or about the same time the Toronto Maple Leafs last won a Stanley Cup!  :lol:

saltdog

I just pick up some at Barrett Paint supply in Reno, Nevada.That is the interior suede,in the 13705 blue,came out really nice.
1969  Charger (383)
2006 Ram3500 (diesel)

tylerk

Bought mine from Auto Color Library also, good stuff.  :2thumbs:

Tscott38

Bought my black laquer with the suede additive a little over a year ago at my local paint shop - martin seynour I believe.  The stuff turned out perfect.  The store did say the stuff wasn't in production anymore, but they still had some - this was the late fall of 2010 - not that long ago - I believe its worth calling around.   

bill440rt

If you have trouble finding the correct mixture locally, you can replicate it very closely using a spray technique known as "dry spraying".
Paint the item with the black or colored paint of your choice, let the last coat tack up a bit. Then, mist the paint on evenly holding the spray can or gun further away than you normally would. The result is a finely textured surface. I used this technique on my tail panel, dash, steering column, etc.
:Twocents:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Dino

Quote from: bill440rt on January 31, 2012, 08:17:23 AM
If you have trouble finding the correct mixture locally, you can replicate it very closely using a spray technique known as "dry spraying".
Paint the item with the black or colored paint of your choice, let the last coat tack up a bit. Then, mist the paint on evenly holding the spray can or gun further away than you normally would. The result is a finely textured surface. I used this technique on my tail panel, dash, steering column, etc.
:Twocents:

Yep that's how I do it.  Even textured plastic can be mimicked if you have the right paint and technique.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

FJ5WING

Im curious of how the spraying "tricks" compare to using the real thing?
wingless now, but still around.

68blue

The "spray tricks" will give a smoother texture than a grit additive to the paint itself. It's reall just a matter of reducing air pressure and increasing fluid, practice on a piece of cardboard until you get it the way you want it.

tylerk

Another vote for Auto Color Library, just painted my dash this week and it looks dead on to the original finish that was left. Tried to  take some pictures but my camera doesn't really do the texture justice.

gtx6970

Quote from: FJ5WING on February 18, 2012, 03:48:21 PM

takes practice - practice and more  practice

bill440rt

Quote from: gtx6970 on February 18, 2012, 08:00:02 PM
Quote from: FJ5WING on February 18, 2012, 03:48:21 PM

takes practice - practice and more  practice

I've got it down where I can get it VERY close. No one has questioned me on it. I've had people ask me, "Hey where did you get the textured paint for your tail panel??"  :rofl:

You have to let your last coat tack up pretty good before applying your "dry" coats. Try it once on a scrap piece next time you're spray painting something.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce