News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Replaced my Distributor

Started by Charger_Dart, January 26, 2012, 11:10:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger_Dart

I wanted to post a good experience with a replacement distributor I found. I looked everywhere for a new distributor for my 440 but I wanted a few things:

1) had to look more or less stock with female distributor cap
2) Vacuum advance
3) Adjustable vacuum advance
4) Adjustable mechanical advance

I could not believe how hard it was to find this combo. Everywhere I called or emailed said to use one of the red cap ones. I really did not want to have that in my engine compartment and I did not want to replace my new Fire-Core wires with a set of the male terminal type wires.
Anyways, I took a chance on an Accel Distributor 59300 for a little over $200 and it has all of these features - even a tan cap with brass inserts! You can adjust the mechanical advance with "sticks" sold separately and the vacuum advance with an allen wrench. Very nice unit if anyone is looking
:2thumbs:

68 Charger R/T & 68 Dart GT Convertible

Back N Black

Looks good, Mopar Performance also sell a good distrubutor just under 200 bucks.

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Charger_Dart on January 26, 2012, 11:10:26 AM
1) had to look more or less stock with female distributor cap
2) Vacuum advance
3) Adjustable vacuum advance
4) Adjustable mechanical advance

OK, MP fills all requirements you listed :shruggy:

Vacuum, Rotor, Reluctor, Pickup coil, housing and dist cap ( with brass instead aluminium terminals ) are the same in fact than the stock unit.... THE ONLY DIFF WITH STOCK UNIT IS THE SHAFT ASSEMBLY really, to acomodate the adjustable mechanical system. AND to set the spark plug wires meeting the original firing order on stock cap, with number one on same place just need to set the oil pump shaft slot around 90º offset, because this another diff with stock shaft, indexed different

If you didn't know, the stock vacuum unit is in fact adjustable as FSM and haynes manuals says with allen wrench ( I never have done it though )

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-Performance-3690432-Distributor-Electronic-/370578548450?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item564833e6e2

Maybe in fact the ACCEL you got is also Mallory made like the MP ?

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Charger_Dart

Yes, it looks very much like the Mallory units on the inside and since the two companies are under the same parent company it probably is.

I guess I missed the Mopar Performance distributor because the one I have that is at least 10 years old (probably older) did not have a mechanical advance adjust option.  As I understand it you had to weld in stops or some something to change the mechanical advance on it so I never looked into that as an option.  :ahum:

Sorry for the original post, carry on -

Nacho-RT74

it is posible than yes, the older MP units were without the advance plate... I think I have seen them. Aren't they originally with black caps ?
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

bill440rt

Quote from: Charger_Dart on January 26, 2012, 06:20:57 PM
Yes, it looks very much like the Mallory units on the inside and since the two companies are under the same parent company it probably is.

I guess I missed the Mopar Performance distributor because the one I have that is at least 10 years old (probably older) did not have a mechanical advance adjust option.  As I understand it you had to weld in stops or some something to change the mechanical advance on it so I never looked into that as an option.  :ahum:

Yep, the older ones did not have an adjustable advance plate. You had to weld the stops to limit the mechanical advance. Weld, file, weld, file, repeat. I had one on my '68, it was a PitA. Swapped it for a newer MP one.
The newer MP ones have Mallory internals & are more easily adjustable.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Charger_Dart

Quote from: bill440rt on January 26, 2012, 07:58:08 PM
Quote from: Charger_Dart on January 26, 2012, 06:20:57 PM

Good to know I have not totally lost my mind. Plus we have two good options for our cars!
:2thumbs:

Yep, the older ones did not have an adjustable advance plate. You had to weld the stops to limit the mechanical advance. Weld, file, weld, file, repeat. I had one on my '68, it was a PitA. Swapped it for a newer MP one.
The newer MP ones have Mallory internals & are more easily adjustable.