News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Starting 71 r/t after 14years - advice

Started by carsnguitars, January 12, 2012, 01:09:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

carsnguitars

So picked up a 71 charger r/t. The guy I bought it from drove it in his heated shop about '87 and has sat since.
I already have rebuilt carb, engine turns over fine. It is original 440-motor as well.

Question:

Do I change all fluids, pre oil things and attempt to start it, Or

Just pull it , open it up and go through it.

Thoughts, anyone that already been through this?

RallyeMike

QuoteDo I change all fluids, pre oil things and attempt to start it

Change the oil, pull the plugs and spray some oil in, hand turn it over a few times, and give it a shot. The tank and fuel lines are probably gummed, so maybe connect it to a gas can?
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Chryco Psycho

I would start it , find out what you have first

carsnguitars

Just follow up....Thx for reminder on gas.....Engine fired up today with a lil tweaking..drive train was a lil noisy at first but settled down nicely.

Nice to be able to take a engine has not run for about 24yrs, change some fluids and she fires back to life. Now just get some dry weather bleed the brakes and try and run it back on the road for first time since the 80's. Think my radio will still get some hair metal to celebrate?

justcruisin

I wouldn't be to quick to tear off down the road if the car has been sitting for that amount of time. You may want to pull the brakes and have a look at your wheel and Master cylinders, they will almost certainly be gummed up and may lock on when used. Also it would be a good idea to replace your rubber fuel lines including the ones to the vapor separator mounted in the left rear wheel arch. If you don't, it's a good chance you will have a few fuel leaks.

nvrbdn

i was reading and enjoying what was said, then realized that im having to make mental pic's of this whole thing. there isnt a real pic to go back to :brickwall: anyway, i agree. check the belts hoses fuel lines wheel cylinders and calipers. make sure its ready for the road.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

maxwellwedge

Run one or two clear fuel filters as well for awhile. 24 years = nasty tank and fuel lines.

Change the anti-freeze and oil a couple of times too.

carsnguitars

I like the double fuel filter, good idea. My road jaunt would be only in my street untill I do check everything further..

I run it till it heats up good, then shut it down and double check all fluids, and and everything make sure nothing is out of the ordinary or loose.

Here is my engine after its successful run so no mental image is needed.

nvrbdn

sweet. thanks for the pic. so hows the body,interior? great find. check those tires for dry rot also. :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

maxwellwedge

Looks like a disc brake master cylinder on there....

justcruisin

Great find, and air grabber hood to boot. Good to know that the "found it in a barn" experience can still be had. :2thumbs:

carsnguitars

Yes they are still out there. The guy that had this is a real Mopar guy, nice guy parkd in his heated shop in 87 and planned to restore it but never got around to it. He listed on CL had tons of responses, I was lucky enough to be there first.
It is in great shape, and he had collected parts for the car since then, I had 2 pickup loads of 71 parts. 2 dashes, dash bezel, box factory headlamps, tail lights bumpers interior for almost another car, tons of stuff. Car has 2 fender tags but only chewed up pieces of broadcast as the rats got to the interior and chewed all the seats, he had re-done seats as you see in the pic. Car had no interior when I got it.
They are still out there, in fact I found a 68 charger sitting in backyard since 92 under a tarp last month. I am starting that one up next!
I am off to store get fuel filters.

Thx for the help and enouragement guys!

terrible one

Quote from: carsnguitars on January 15, 2012, 01:51:56 PM
Yes they are still out there. The guy that had this is a real Mopar guy, nice guy parkd in his heated shop in 87 and planned to restore it but never got around to it. He listed on CL had tons of responses, I was lucky enough to be there first.
It is in great shape, and he had collected parts for the car since then, I had 2 pickup loads of 71 parts. 2 dashes, dash bezel, box factory headlamps, tail lights bumpers interior for almost another car, tons of stuff. Car has 2 fender tags but only chewed up pieces of broadcast as the rats got to the interior and chewed all the seats, he had re-done seats as you see in the pic. Car had no interior when I got it.
They are still out there, in fact I found a 68 charger sitting in backyard since 92 under a tarp last month. I am starting that one up next!
I am off to store get fuel filters.

Thx for the help and enouragement guys!

Way cool! Thanks for sharing pics! Got any of the '68?  :popcrn:

carsnguitars

here it is as i found it. 383 had been replaced with 440 though.

nvrbdn

man, 2 great finds. that 71 is in great condition. enjoy that car. the 68 looks good too :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Scaregrabber

XXSpiralXX

oh wow sweet...... Maaan im jealous.

BIGBLCK11

:2thumbs: Nice finds! Both look pretty nice.  Thanks for the pics, can't wait to see more.