News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 Charger Totalled in Amarillo 1/20/2012

Started by TexasStroker, January 21, 2012, 04:29:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasStroker

Well, I hadn't been on the site in awhile due to being insanely busy...and I sure didn't want to come back and post something like this  :-\

We had a very cold and snowy tail end of fall and around Christmas.  Since then we have been pushing 60-70.  Today was a very nice day, close to 70...perfect cruising weather.

I never got to speak this guy, but had seen the car a few time.  He had it in Make-A-Wish last year, but that was about the extent of it...apparently he drove the car quite a bit.  He had a lot invested in this car and the body shop that did the work was so proud of it they let him keep the car in their shop.  Well, 70 degress in January is definitely reason to drive your Charger.  The owner, a 71 year old man, went around 4 PM to get his Charger.

Around 5 PM I started getting several texts/calls and since they were all from guys in the club I knew something really great was going down or something bad happened...sadly it was the later.

The 68 Charger was heading southbound on I-27 (Amarillo to Lubbock)...a white gmc acadia was leaving Western Bowl (a bowling alley) somehow shot out of the parking lot, across the access road (2 lane btw), thru the bar-ditch (pretty steep around here due to most of the rain falling in 2-3 storms), and then into southbound traffic....right into the side of the 68 Charger.  The inital report is that it "may have been a medical emergency" which leaves a lot to be desired for such a crazy way for the wreck to transpire. 

I mean this is a textbook blindsiding.  You can be vigillant against nuts flying by you and even leary of a car that might weave from the north bound lanes, across the median and into a southbond lane...but to get t-boned in a north-south lane by a car going east-west?  I have no clue how the lady could have built up that much speed, but she devasted the car...

The real tragedy is that the owner was air-lifted and is in critical condition.  I never got to meet him personally, but any 70+ year old that put that kind of time into a 68 and drove it has to have been a pretty cool guy.  Keep him in your thoughts and prayers...I am hoping he will be okay and we can help him locate another 68 if he is so inclined.  I will let ya'll know how he is doing if we get any updates.

Here are some cell phone shots a member got last year when the car was just getting finished:

And now, here is a shot of the same car after getting blindsided:

It is a sad way for the car to go and I just hope that the driver will be alright.
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

bobs66440

Terrible news and just a miserable bad luck situation. Hopefully he will fully recover.

charger Downunder

That is just horrible i hope the driver recovers OK. Car looks really bad if he had a passenger they would be in bad shape buy the looks of the car. My thoughts are with him and his family that is just so tragic.
[/quote]

bill440rt

Ugggghhhhhh... that is horrible. I feel for that guy. What a shame. Hope he has a speedy recovery from all this.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Charger-Bodie

Im with ya Bill. What a horrible thing to happen.  :RantExplode: Hope they werent texting......
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

tan top

awwww man thats bad  , hope he is ok !!   , let us know what happens :yesnod:

:popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

RECHRGD

That's a nightmare that we all have from time to time.  Hope he fully recovers from his injuries...
13.53 @ 105.32

400/6/PAC

404NOTFOUND

Sad to see and I hope he recovers and gets another car. I do think about this kind of thing because I know my Charger can't compare safety wise to my modern car. It is worth the risk though. Still safer than a mototcycle.
My 1969 Charger. RIP......Rest in pieces.

Back N Black

Wow! I hope the owner has a speedy recovery.

BrianShaughnessy

That's awful.   Hope the guy recovers OK.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

69bronzeT5

Wow, that's horrible :( My prayers are with a fast recovery for the owner :angel:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

elanmars

ugh. that totally sucks, i hope he recovers well. it'll take some time for sure...i know, i've been there in a similar situation recently. really really sucks. hope he had his car insured/the other person's insurance company doesn't try to mess things up.
1969 Dodge Charger, pseudo General Lee., 1973 ratty Dodge Charger.

check out my photography: http://www.tomasraul.com
instagram: tomasraul
facebook: www.facebook.com/tomasraulphotography

Magnumcharger

Boy! That is tough news.
I hope the best for the old guy. :'(

I expect to see that Charger on Copart.com soon.
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

1carcrazyguy

Wow... :'(  That is a horrible deal for all involved.   A friend of mine sent me an email to see if I knew of the car or the owner.  I moved from Amarillo in 2002 so I was not familiar with either.  I wish the best for the owner of the Charger and hope he fully recovers from this!

I also saw this post on the Amarillo newspaper site...
He is my daughter's father-in-law. From what we know, the woman left the parking lot at the frontage road exit and crossed the frontage road, the grass, and the traffic lanes of the highway to hit the Charger. The man (who I won't identify either) had just had the car finally completed from a total restoration and was driving it for the first time. We are asking for prayers for him and the family, he is critical at the hospital. And yes, some people are talking about how sad it is about the car--that car meant a LOT to him, it was a first car of muscle-type he had back when it was new and he had found it and had it totally restored. He had been showing it at car shows as they were finishing it up and it was his pride and joy.

angie

:'( :'( That is so very sad. I hope and pray for him and his family. :'(

projectanimal

Speechless......Horrible story with such a freak accident. :'(   Thoughts and Prayers will be sent his way. 
northwest CT

bull

That really, really sucks all the way around. Can't blame the old guy for driving it though, I would have been doing the same thing. It almost seems like the lady had it in for him. I sure hope it really wasn't the car's maiden voyage, as said above. That would make things even worse.

mauve66

this is starting to sound like a conspiracy from ford and gm, they put a computer virus in the management module and when the car detects a mopar through the frontal sensors it just accdelerate blindly (like that trk the t-boned the white charger on here) everyone start watching out now.......................................
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

69charger2002

very sad. hopefully he recovers and is able to find another charger. 
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

vancamp

my prayers for him to recover quickly, shame about the car.

terrible one

Wow, the entire passenger side quarter panel was ripped right off of there. Looks like they probably cut the roof to get the guy out.

1carcrazyguy

From what I recall of that area.  The grass median between the side road and the highway was fairly steep.  iF THE SUV had any speed at all, I would not be suprised if the SUV was airborn enough to take out the side and the roof pillars at the same time.   I am pretty sure that median was a drainage ditch, probably 6-8 foot deep with a smooth slope on both sides that would have acted as a ramp..... :'(   And looking at how the entire windshield is laid back like it went "under" something.  I would think, just cutting the pillars it would not be laid back...but who knows.    

Latest pic from Amarillo newspaper link...

bull

So what was her issue? Why was she driving like a bat outta hell?

1carcrazyguy

Quote from: bull on January 21, 2012, 09:58:25 PM
So what was her issue? Why was she driving like a bat outta hell?

Paper is stating.. the SUV driver suffered a "medical emergency".