News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Another General Lee (nice one)

Started by SuperJim, January 20, 2012, 12:11:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwramc

New OFFICIAL photos of the PRODUCTION replica...as in THIS is the new Autoworld General Lee that will be released very soon.

Love or hate the changes, I've definitely got one coming as this is as close as it's ever been to my eyes.  :punkrocka: :METAL: :callme: :notworthy:
John

nvrbdn

nicely detailed.the car looks great.  :2thumbs:   

(now i will duck, as the nit picking will soon begin) :smilielol:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

jwramc

Hey...if anyone hates it as a GL, grab a can of flat black paint and DEATH PROOF it!  :2thumbs:

(The following pics are of my lesser-detailed, regular Ertl mold GL, now reborn (the duck is coming shortly).
John

Sabre

Oh man that looks sweet.  I'll be buying several General Lee's when the come out.  Quick question, can the CB Antena retract?  It's so long it won't fit in my display cases.

jwramc

No, but it is not glued to the base, it just slips into the hole on top of the base, and ships separately in the box. On my prior release, I stuffed the shorter antenna in the trunk for storage. This time, I don't know where I'll stash it! :)
John

jwramc

The General Lees have arrived in the USA, and are shipping this week to resellers. This means they should start landing in collectors' hands by early the following week- like April 2nd.
John

SuperJim

Our shipment is to leave the AutoWorld west coast port warehouse on Friday (03/23/12) I believe. For those that would like this new updated version GL and have not reserved them yet, we here do offer shipping & handing (usually $11.95) for FREE if you reserve them now before the cars arrive. Are they perfect, no. Are they better than any other 1:18 factory made version, yes. Also you can reserve the new Bullitt Charger (April) and Dirty Mary Crazy Larry Charger (December) and watch jwramc go nuts if that car is not correct (just kidding John, but you possibly would). All in all we have taken more pre-orders (reservations) on this version than any other previous one, so many must be looking forward to receiving it. Below is a link to our site listing. Thanks for the pre-orders, and for the read.
http://www.supercar1.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=5488
Jim
Supercar Collectibles, Ltd.
http://www.supercar1.com/index.php

jwramc

Quote from: SuperJim on March 22, 2012, 07:00:29 AM... and Dirty Mary Crazy Larry Charger (December) and watch jwramc go nuts if that car is not correct (just kidding John, but you possibly would).

:icon_smile_big:

If I were never made part of the R&D process on it, and were just the average buyer I am for all other releases- yea, I'd probably have exploded on discovering the car had anything not exactly film-correct.

But with the better understanding that my recent inside-view has given me, I'm prepared for the few differences and omissions that the reality of the process dictates. The only thing that'll send me through the roof now is blatant quality-control problems at the factory that result in obvious mistakes or defects. But then, like the new GL, whatever the final DMCL release is... it'll be as close to the real thing as has ever been released, so a great starting point for an 'adjust it to my personal taste' project. The biggest things that matter are the things unique to this Charger: paint, stripes, wheels, tires. The rest is fairly easy to tweak.

Getting back to the GL, I'll post a full-review of it here on arrival for those holding off 'til they've seen the final product. :cheers:
John

Ghoste

And of course the four speed lever.  ;) :nana:

jwramc

That falls under the easily tweaked. :)
John

Ghoste

More tweaking than I care for.  Anytime I would need to go into the interior of an expensive diecast to cut out two pedals, create one larger automatic style brake pedal, then "tweak the console into an automatic one and remove the shift lever to replace it with a good likeness of the automatic one, it's more involved than I want to get into.  At that point I may as well try and cut the A/C vents into the dash as well.
I know you are about to tell me again about the costs of fixing the shifter and I get it.  I am replying only to the "easily tweaked" part.

jwramc

Yea, that's a relative term. :) I meant that, since I know that feature is there, I've already made plans to correct it on the DMCL release, using resin copies of parts found in GMP Road Runners.

I wonder if there's a market out there for custom 'corrected' versions at a significant cost increase? If I personally installed an auto trans, shifter, and pedals...and did a few other mods to make it more film accurate... would folks out there pay $150 or $200 for a copy as a 'limited edition' of maybe 6 copies? I suppose the only way to know is do one and put it on eBay to see what happens.
John

Ghoste

I might be enough of a hardcare fan.  I suppose we need to get the issue to market first.

SuperJim

Quote from: jwramc on March 22, 2012, 09:53:27 AM
Yea, that's a relative term. :) I meant that, since I know that feature is there, I've already made plans to correct it on the DMCL release, using resin copies of parts found in GMP Road Runners.

I wonder if there's a market out there for custom 'corrected' versions at a significant cost increase? If I personally installed an auto trans, shifter, and pedals...and did a few other mods to make it more film accurate... would folks out there pay $150 or $200 for a copy as a 'limited edition' of maybe 6 copies? I suppose the only way to know is do one and put it on eBay to see what happens.

You might have a larger market than you think. IF you were to do some, and would give us (a dealer) a price break on say 12 cars, we would be interested. Maybe put more thought in to exactly what you would do John, tell us, and let the wallets decide the quantity made? Only take orders for X amount of days, and make that many? Just food for thought, but I feel there WOULD be a market (even just in this thread)....?
Jim

jwramc

My plan right now is to gather the needed GMP donor cars (done), get the pieces out that need replication (now working up the courage to tear into $130-a-piece cars), then have a buddy create molds from them, put the original pieces back in the donors, and have my bud cast about a dozen of each piece (spares in case of loses during the install R&D). Then I have to paint them and test-install a set on a spare 'guinea pig' Authentics '69 Charger I have lying around, work out any bugs and a smooth-as-possible installation process. All this needs to be finalized BEFORE the DMCL cars arrive so that I'm prepared to do the conversion within a few days of their arrival. Gotta get them listed on eBay while the "newness" of the release is still hot. Trying to sell the modded cars later will be tougher when everyone already has bought the factory-made 4-speed version.

Jim- Once I have a proto-install completed, I'll know better if I'm in a position to do a huge batch of these. If I do get a good, smooth process laid out for doing the conversion in greater numbers, I'll send you a note and we can work on numbers.  :2thumbs:
John

SuperJim

Jim

jwramc

John

SuperJim

Okay Okay... I'm sorry for posting about a Che****et here, but you Dukes of Hazzard collectors may want this Chevy (oops)!

That's all I have for now for a photo (real car) but if you would want a 1:18 die cast of COOTER's CAMARO they are coming this summer! All we have right now is the above photo, and item number (#21958) and a price of $54.95 for it. If at all interested, see link below, and help spread the word! Cooters coming!

http://www.supercar1.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=6009
Jim

jwramc

What happened? Someone discover an unsold pile of 'California Flash' inventory??  :lol:

I'm interested once it's confirmed to have the correct front fascia- (signals below the full-width bumper, not the split bumper, round signals version). :)
John

SuperJim

Quote from: jwramc on March 22, 2012, 03:59:27 PM
What happened? Someone discover an unsold pile of 'California Flash' inventory??  :lol:

I'm interested once it's confirmed to have the correct front fascia- (signals below the full-width bumper, not the split bumper, round signals version). :)

I'm not sure if the RC/Ertl mold had a full width bumper car ever made.....? Knowing who's having it made, they would do it as is with no new tooling (if it's not available). So the bottom line is, more research needed. Tomorrow, as I'm outta here.
Jim

jwramc

Oh my, I thought this was a garage custom of 2 or 3 dozen cars. Didn't realize this was a full-on Autoworld release!

Yes, they have the proper-style nose, as Ertl did them in the past. My Gumball rally project uses this style, as does my F-bomb project.

I'm definitely down for one of these!
John

SuperJim

Quote from: jwramc on March 22, 2012, 05:16:18 PM
Oh my, I thought this was a garage custom of 2 or 3 dozen cars. Didn't realize this was a full-on Autoworld release!

Yes, they have the proper-style nose, as Ertl did them in the past. My Gumball rally project uses this style, as does my F-bomb project.

I'm definitely down for one of these!

It's not an AutoWorld release to my knowledge. They are being done by a wholesaler who I think went direct to the old RC2/Ertl, whaterver they call themselves these days. I believe AW's lease of the molds has expired, or at least any exclusive they may have had?
Jim

Ghoste

So expect it to be a short term availability?  (shorter than normal that is)

SuperJim

Quote from: Ghoste on March 23, 2012, 06:32:03 AM
So expect it to be a short term availability?  (shorter than normal that is)
Very hard to tell on that. All I know is the GL orders are still coming in, and we just sent a mass email on Cooters car last night. We'll seeeeeeee....
Jim

jwramc

These are now landing in the hands of folks that pre-ordered. My own is expected Friday. This one, received a few days ago) belongs to one of the project's consultants who happens to also be a great photographer. I'm told these are selling very fast, peeps.

BTW, for the conspiracy theorists, the cars are packed with a "cover" concealing the roof flag. This was done to protect the flag from rub damage caused by the clear plastic straps.
John