News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How many painted this color?

Started by Inspector71, January 19, 2012, 01:00:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inspector71

My 68 Charger is (at least the places that still have paint) GG-1 racing green metallic. Has anyone done research on how many Chargers were painted in each color option? Thanks.

Troy

Not a lot as it was a late addition to the color catalog. Although earth tones (green, gold, bronze/brown, yellow) were popular in 68 so there may be more than some of the standard colors. There isn't an "official" breakdown on colors because Chrysler didn't keep records that way. The best answer would be a guess based on "known" cars and then trying to extrapolate (ie. if there are 100 known cars and 10 are GG1 some *might* say that 10% of all 68 Chargers were GG1).

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Inspector71

Thanks for a great answer. That Charger has sat in my garage for 13 years waiting to be brought back to life and I am enjoying every minute. Lots of work to go but she will be a beauty when done. I must have had the car a month before I found any paint on it (trunk) and discovered its real color. The previous owner had sanded it down to change the color and left it outside to rust.

RIDGERACER383

That is the original color of my charger.Not sure what the green is called but its a lighter green with a ton of metal flake.Mine is original black interior and was column shift with buckets and a buddy seat.I bought a complete 68 charger donor in 94 for $100 and stripped it clean and scored a nice console and a few other options mine didn't have.Mine is also a original 383 4bbl car and had a blown out 276 geared rear in it.Not sure what they were thinking there...lol
1968 Dodge Charger 383 4bbl / 8.75 Rear 3.55

Troy

GG1 is a very dark green. There were several other shades of green (all lighter) and all were metallic.

A 383 with 2.76 gears would have a pretty high top-end speed (a 383 has a higher redline than a 440).

Troy

Inspector71

I found the dark green metallic paint under the carpet, in the trunk and when I decoded the fender tag. I love this color and when done, will go with the correct 68 stripes. It has the brushed steel magnum 500 wheels which I am switching for the chrome versions. Only one seat, drivers', of course, needs repair. I still haven't decided on putting the a/c back on.

Troy

Umm, dark green car with a dark green vinyl interior.... yes, A/C would be nice! Well, if you actually plan on driving it regularly.

Troy

RIDGERACER383

Quote from: Troy on January 20, 2012, 10:16:00 AM
GG1 is a very dark green. There were several other shades of green (all lighter) and all were metallic.

A 383 with 2.76 gears would have a pretty high top-end speed (a 383 has a higher redline than a 440).

Troy

I kept the 276 third member might rebuild it one day.Thats one thing I like about the 8 3/4 there easy to change.I put a third member out of a 78 dodge truck 3.55 in mine cuz I got the rear free from my buddy.Would like a sure grip though  :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger 383 4bbl / 8.75 Rear 3.55

71charger

I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum, but I'm all out of bubble gum.