News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

THIS IS WHY YOU MUST BE VERY CAREFUL BUYING A "CHARGER"

Started by model maker, January 20, 2012, 02:51:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

model maker

with so many scammers out there, the computer age has brought them to the forefront or should I say "store "front. I guess if they are hiding behind a computer screen then ripping people off must be no more than a "video game" on THEIR computer. someone CLAIMING to be selling 1 of 10 generl lees from the TV show :brickwall:, All of you Dukes/GENERAL LEE  experts CAN CHIME IN ON THIS ONE  WHO KNOWS ANYMORE, PERHAPS IT REALLY IS A GENERAL LEE.
http://www.autabuy.com/Vehicles/Details.cfm?VID=621180&Year=1969&Make=DODGE&Model=CHARGER

Look at all the orange Chargers on autobuy, now when you search for a 1969 Dodge Charger, all you get is a big orange page with everyone selling a "real general lee" BUYER BEWARE has never been truer
MODEL MAKER

MoparManJim

1 of 10? okay.  :smilielol:

More like 1 of 300 maybe?  :smilielol: 

That doesn't even look like one of the originals. If it is, then it was redone!

Cooter

'Ya know what's really sad? Even with all these type threads, there will be someone with a thread exclaiming how they got ripped off when they bought this....

There really is only one way to insure you get EXACTLY what you pay for.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

I thought it was going to be a "true muscle cars" ad, or whatever they are called today. I was wrong. There are other scammers out there...

Autabuy used to have great ads, now it is a dumping ground  :brickwall:

Cooter

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

RKCHARGER

I drive by this place all the time. I'm suprized to see this add. Glad i've never stopped in to see them lol...

I just sent them this email to see if they reply.

"What type of documentation do you have proving this was 1 of 10 from the show? I would be interested in the Charger but only with proof. It is my understanding from doing research on different Charger fourms that hundreds were used. Are you saying this is 1 of 10 that was never used?"

Will let you know what becomes of it.

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

model maker

Rkcharger, I ALSO sent them an email on their contact feature saying the same thing. I told them that there must be documentation from Warner bros. to confirm the statement plus, the interior is black and it has the brush guard so incorrect . the brush guard they show is too wide but someone will buy the thing and wonder why they got ripped off. I will also post any response i get from autabuy however, i don't think you or I will ever hear from them. have you seen the "OCEAN OF ORANGE " WHEN YOU DO A SEARCH FOR 69 DODGE CHARGER ? it is sickening. there is also a 70 challenger that is halfway through assembly that has the same color orange so it must be a GL mill and they must have had some orange paint left over.
MODEL MAKER

FrnkNsteen

I've been in that car museum many times and have talked with the owner quite a bit. I used to live about 10 miles from that place, and worked about 2 miles from there, when I stil lived up in the Minneapolis area. He had TOP NOTCH cars in that place all the time. I remember  :drool5: :drool5: over an early model Lamborghini he had there at one time. If I remember right, it was an old Miura!! Not to mention a bunch of classic old Mopar and GM muscle.

Chances are, if he said it was one of ten, he has some sort of documentation to back it up. I had heard that they tore up over 300 Chargers during the making of that series. Though many were modified '68 and '70 models because they started having a hard time finding '69's. Who knows,..... maybe it was "one of ten" that the stars of the show actually rode in or something. I remember hearing that there were only so many of them, while most of the others were tore up in the various chase and jumping scenes.

Don't know until proof is provided  :shruggy:, but knowing that car museum, it wouldn't surprise me a bit if it was real. It's a pretty cool place to check out some nice cars,..... and now it even has a nice big Cabelas outdoors store just down the road from it. WIN-WIN!!!

Just my  :Twocents:
1969 Charger SE (Just starting the restoration)
1967 Barracuda Notchback

MoparManJim

Quote from: FrnkNsteen on January 20, 2012, 01:26:44 PM
I've been in that car museum many times and have talked with the owner quite a bit. I used to live about 10 miles from that place, and worked about 2 miles from there, when I stil lived up in the Minneapolis area. He had TOP NOTCH cars in that place all the time. I remember  :drool5: :drool5: over an early model Lamborghini he had there at one time. If I remember right, it was an old Miura!! Not to mention a bunch of classic old Mopar and GM muscle.

Chances are, if he said it was one of ten, he has some sort of documentation to back it up. I had heard that they tore up over 300 Chargers during the making of that series. Though many were modified '68 and '70 models because they started having a hard time finding '69's. Who knows,..... maybe it was "one of ten" that the stars of the show actually rode in or something. I remember hearing that there were only so many of them, while most of the others were tore up in the various chase and jumping scenes.

Don't know until proof is provided  :shruggy:, but knowing that car museum, it wouldn't surprise me a bit if it was real. It's a pretty cool place to check out some nice cars,..... and now it even has a nice big Cabelas outdoors store just down the road from it. WIN-WIN!!!

Just my  :Twocents:

No 1970's ever used on the show.. Just 1968's an 1969's only.

MoparManJim

Quote from: model maker on January 20, 2012, 01:20:24 PM
Rkcharger, I ALSO sent them an email on their contact feature saying the same thing. I told them that there must be documentation from Warner bros. to confirm the statement plus, the interior is black and it has the brush guard so incorrect . the brush guard they show is too wide but someone will buy the thing and wonder why they got ripped off. I will also post any response i get from autabuy however, i don't think you or I will ever hear from them. have you seen the "OCEAN OF ORANGE " WHEN YOU DO A SEARCH FOR 69 DODGE CHARGER ? it is sickening. there is also a 70 challenger that is halfway through assembly that has the same color orange so it must be a GL mill and they must have had some orange paint left over.

The push bar is some what right for the later season's cars. You must be thinking about the early cars with the narrow push bars.

404NOTFOUND

I don't know how many cars ecaped from the television show in good shape but, I remember attending a major indoor car show in Toronto during the late 1970s. There was a General Lee there that was listed as an original. It was in flawless condition.
My 1969 Charger. RIP......Rest in pieces.

RIDGERACER383

The way to know if it's a real general lee from the show,the VIN starts with WB for Warner Brothers.
1968 Dodge Charger 383 4bbl / 8.75 Rear 3.55

model maker

i did not know the seller was a car museum. That may make a difference however when you see a sea of orange where 8 out of 10 chargers are GLs it is difficult at best to tell them apart, especially after the BK & HALPAG fiascos. Buying a ready made GL is going to be risky business at best am I right ? :popcrn:
MODEL MAKER

MoparManJim

Quote from: model maker on January 20, 2012, 03:41:56 PM
i did not know the seller was a car museum. That may make a difference however when you see a sea of orange where 8 out of 10 chargers are GLs it is difficult at best to tell them apart, especially after the BK & HALPAG fiascos. Buying a ready made GL is going to be risky business at best am I right ? :popcrn:

You sir... are correct!  :2thumbs:

model maker

They may look good on the outside BUT, you never know what you can't see, BK & Halpag have proven that. :o
MODEL MAKER

JT01

Why the heck would someone put the push bar on like that that looks like crap. Its about the same length as the later season cars but the top and bottom bar are to far apart. Still that pushbar blows me away that someone would put it on there so low looks like its going to fall off.

Mike DC

I have mostly stopped caring about people being ripped off for "real TV General Lees".  If you spend $30,000 on a collector car without spending 10 minutes on the internet looking into its authenticity first, then I just can't muster much sympathy for you. 

Seriously, the General Lee information on Wikipedia alone is enough to rule out 95% of the fakes.

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on January 20, 2012, 09:19:33 PM

I have mostly stopped caring about people being ripped off for "real TV General Lees".  If you spend $30,000 on a collector car without spending 10 minutes on the internet looking into its authenticity first, then I just can't muster much sympathy for you. 

Seriously, the General Lee information on Wikipedia alone is enough to rule out 95% of the fakes.

+1