News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

No fuel

Started by jdiesel33, January 16, 2012, 01:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdiesel33

After a couple of years of anticipation, finally got the rebuilt motor cranked up this weekend. Sounded loud and bad ass with the big carb and Doug's Headers. Started right up no problem. Issue is, once the gas in the carb ran out, it would die, No fuel getting from the tank up to the pump. What all could cause this or what should be the first thing we should look at? We tried blowing air thru the line that goes to the fuel pumpbut nothing happened. Seems to be a blockage somewhere. I'm afraid we will have to drop the tank and investigate, which isnt a huge undertaking but still a pain. Wanted to check with you guys first.
1968 Dodge Charger R/T
PP1,Black Hat, Black Stripes

bobs66440

Is it a mechanical or electric pump? Is the pump working? If you don't have a blockage in the line and there's no fuel being pulled, then the pump must be bad. If the pump is working, make sure the fuel filter isn't clogged.

jdiesel33

Mechanical pump. There was a good vacuum on the hose to the pump when we took it off. i think the pump is good. the fuel isnt even making it that far. I have a brand new vapor separator, no actual fuel filter. Is is possible that the vapor separator is the problem? Everything single component of the fuel system is new - tank, pick up, float, vapor sep, lines, fuel pump, etc..
1968 Dodge Charger R/T

BananaDan

I put new fuel lines, sender, vapor seperator etc in two years ago.  At Carlisle this past summer, on the way home, she wouldn't stay running.  Chris6T9 was with me thankfully and diagnosed that my fuel pump push rod was worn and wasn't fully engaging the pump.  The engine was freshly rebuilt also but if you can't blow air through the line it sounds like you have a bigger issue.  Is it possible your new line got kinked somehow on installation, or your sending unit is bad?
*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

jdiesel33

I would say the sending unit is probably the most likely guess at this point but I will certainly check to make sure the line isnt kinked. Would it be to safe to say it isnt the fuel pump if the hose going to it had a good strong vacuum on it when pulled off? Im not a mechanic and couldnt even play one on TV, but learning as fast as I can.  :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger R/T

b5blue

With the feed to the pump line off you should be able to siphon fuel freely with no problem. A small amount of suction should be having fuel flowing nicely. I use a suction gun from Harbor Freight that's about the size of a grease guns body. Be sure you have the feed and not return line for feeding the pump. To test the pump take about a coffee can size worth of fuel fed to the pump through a short hose and do a cranking test, it should start pumping fuel in short order.   :scratchchin:

jdiesel33

Tried sucking some fuel thru that line, but absolutely nothing. That is what leads is to believe it must be an issue before it gets to the pump. :brickwall:
1968 Dodge Charger R/T

b5blue

How much is in the tank?   :scratchchin:

bobs66440

Is the gas cap vented?

Fred

Without actually being able to see it for myself I would hazzard a guess that it's the fuel pump push rod or esle the pump itself.  :Twocents:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

FLG

Remove feed line from pump, put it in a bottle/gas can whatever (just make sure you dont spill it and cause a bigger problem)

Put some fuel in the carb and start her up, your going to need to get it running for a bit to start to siphon fuel from the container, but not very long. If it works than your good to go, if it dosnt than you either have a blockage from the pump to the carb, bad pump, or worn down pushrod.

Assuming the test worked and car was running you either have a blockage from sender to the pump OR your simply not giving it enough time. Remove the line at the sender and at the pump, see if you can blow air through, if you can than see if you can blow air through the sender (i would advise using VERY low air pressure as you dont want to blow the sock of the sender) if thats all clear than and it passed the previous test, than you simply need to keep it running for a bit longer...it takes a bit for the fuel to be siphoned from the tank to the carb.

jdiesel33

Quote from: bobs66440 on January 16, 2012, 06:49:29 PM
Is the gas cap vented?

Hmmm...well since I didnt have the stock cap with me at the time, I used one of the twist on/off caps that were originally on my new valve covers and twisted it on there. Would that make a difference?
1968 Dodge Charger R/T

firefighter3931

If the tank is not properly vented there will be vapor pressure. Try removing the cap temporarily and run the car. Do this outside so that the vapors don't accumulate....and report back  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Cooter

Quote from: jdiesel33 on January 17, 2012, 09:18:22 AM
Quote from: bobs66440 on January 16, 2012, 06:49:29 PM
Is the gas cap vented?

Hmmm...well since I didnt have the stock cap with me at the time, I used one of the twist on/off caps that were originally on my new valve covers and twisted it on there. Would that make a difference?

Sounds like your problem, or at least one of them. Never install a cap that even though fits, isn't a vented fuel cap. Good way to dent the tank, ruin the fuel pump, etc.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

b5blue

Check the fill tube vent/overfill drain line. It vents into the frame rail.  :scratchchin:

Fred

The cap doesn't have to be vented as there is a fill tube vent pipe.  :Twocents:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.