News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Um, yea. Check out this "very special" Charger gas cap

Started by bull, January 13, 2012, 03:19:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daveco

With the no-spring rubber bumper cap, you can use a standard non-flush locking cap under the flip top.
R/Tree

ACUDANUT

" ps Doesnt the Barracuda use the same design cap?"

**** 70-74 Barracuda's and 'Cuda's do not have these. 

Troy

Quote from: ACUDANUT on January 14, 2012, 10:00:07 AM
" ps Doesnt the Barracuda use the same design cap?"

**** 70-74 Barracuda's and 'Cuda's do not have these. 
He didn't give a year - the 67-68 Barracudas and 67 GTX did use the same cap as the 68 Charger.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

bull

Supposing you're convinced this cap is what your car came with originally and you really wanted one of these, couldn't you just buy a beat up $30 locking cap-style flip-top junker like mine and replace the spring/seal on your nice reproduction cap with the "correct" parts?

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: bull on January 14, 2012, 01:48:52 PM
Supposing you're convinced this cap is what your car came with originally and you really wanted one of these, couldn't you just buy a beat up $30 locking cap-style flip-top junker like mine and replace the spring/seal on your nice reproduction cap with the "correct" parts?

i guess my question would be ''is it worth 1300 dollars' and why would one truelly want to spend this much on such a thing? Its liking looking for the tire air cap from an original 'XXXXX" charger and paing 1000 dollars for it.

A gas cap in my eyes is not the same as a engine, tranny, steering wheel etc thats worth it to be original for folks who are purist.

paul smart

answer 1 the rubber seal keeps the gas in the tank and filler tube.answer 2 this cap fits quite a few other models as well including my 68 charger my 68 barracuda and my 69 barracuda.answer 3the screws are only shown for clarity as these theft proof screws are only used on the gas cap to keep unwanted GUEST out of there.
my charger had the locking cylinder at 1 time but dad lost the key and it was seized so we drilled it out.

any questions dont be afraid to ask :Twocents: :icon_smile_big:

carsnguitars

I had bought a 68 last month that been sitting for some time. I wanted to take gas cap off and clean it and pull the tank.
I noticed it has those wierd locking screws. My first charger so I figured it was a standard tool I could find, not yet!

I am still trying to figure out how to get those off. Not to hyjak, but if anyone knows what tool I need to get those screws off, I appriciate it.

bill440rt

I saw that auction too, Curtis. I was like, "Whaaa???"  :o  Lotta coin.

I restored my '68 along with my Dad back in the mid-80's. Repro caps & rings were unheard of at the time. We found an original ring from CA & had it rechromed, but couldn't find a nice used cap. We finally stumbled on an NOS one, but back then NOS stuff was a tad easier to find. I don't even remember what we paid for it, but probably not much more than what repros are selling for today.
Lo & behold...

Interestingly, mine bears part# 2823339 which is different than the one Mitchell is selling. I googled the part number, it is correct for '67-68 Barracudas and Charger. The rubber seal kinda fits in the gap between the lock and the filler tube.

BTW, I believe Chris (Just6T9) knows the special socket that is required for the screws.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

mauve66

Quote from: carsnguitars on January 15, 2012, 03:34:49 PM
I had bought a 68 last month that been sitting for some time. I wanted to take gas cap off and clean it and pull the tank.
I noticed it has those wierd locking screws. My first charger so I figured it was a standard tool I could find, not yet!

I am still trying to figure out how to get those off. Not to hyjak, but if anyone knows what tool I need to get those screws off, I appriciate it.

replacement screws and the special tool can be had on ebay
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

bull

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on January 14, 2012, 08:29:00 PM
Quote from: bull on January 14, 2012, 01:48:52 PM

i guess my question would be ''is it worth 1300 dollars' and why would one truelly want to spend this much on such a thing? Its liking looking for the tire air cap from an original 'XXXXX" charger and paing 1000 dollars for it.

A gas cap in my eyes is not the same as a engine, tranny, steering wheel etc thats worth it to be original for folks who are purist.

That's my point. I'm saying why spend $1,300 when you can mix and match parts to make the same thing for $100 or less.

TheGhost

Live and learn.  I thought the 2nd gens all used the same gas cap.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

Nacho-RT74

before click on the ebay link I guessed... THIS MUST HAVE A FRAN MITCHEL ITEM...

Voila! It was...
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

bill440rt

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

bull

Quote from: bill440rt on January 18, 2012, 07:53:34 AM
Hey Bull, I found a matching lock to go with that special gas cap for ya.  :D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360426992420?_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649&item=360426992420&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT&vxp=mtr

Cool! If I play my cards right I could have as much as $5k in just fuel parts. All I need now is a $1,700 NOS fill tube, a $1,200 NOS tank and a $200 NOS black paper pad.

nvrbdn

i cant believe you didnt jump, the shipping is only 10.00 :shruggy: usually they will list the part for 50.00 and the shipping and handling at 550.00 to get the fast bid thinking you are getting a deal.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Dans 68 on January 14, 2012, 01:59:45 AM
..and that for the '69 model the engineers realized that the spring cap would do the same thing.

I suspect that another contributing factor to going to one model is the folks that lost the keys to and/or tossed them and then had an unsealed gas tank with out it.

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Old Moparz

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on January 17, 2012, 11:46:48 PM
before click on the ebay link I guessed... THIS MUST HAVE A FRAN MITCHEL ITEM...

Voila! It was...

That's the reason the price is that high. The only way it would even higher, is if it were Great Lakes NOS were selling it.   :lol:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Road Dog

Do all chargers have springs in the filler tubes? Optional? Or is it an aftermarket thing? :shruggy:
If your wheels ain't spinn'n you ain't got no traction.

bull

Quote from: Road Dog on March 23, 2012, 02:38:35 PM
Do all chargers have springs in the filler tubes? Optional? Or is it an aftermarket thing? :shruggy:

Springs in the filler tubes? Please explain...

nvrbdn

never seen one in a charger filler neck. but i think back in the day they used to sell a spring at the parts stores that you could insert into your cars filler neck to keep people from siphoning gas. that was before the unleaded days. then they had an emergency kit for your unleaded car incase you went to a gas station that didnt sell unleaded gas. it was just a plastic fitting that would fit the larger nozzel and slide into the little hole for the unleaded. i just took a chisel and hammer and opened up that sucker and used leaded gas cuz it was cheaper. :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

rarefish

This post has got my interest now. My 68 Charger came from the factory with the locking gas cap option and everything is still in place, never altered.  I had assume that all 68 Chargers came with the same flip top gas door regardless it you had the locking cap or not.  Maybe tomorrow I will try to take a picture of the set up and post it here.

Road Dog

Quote from: nvrbdn on March 23, 2012, 08:03:02 PM
never seen one in a charger filler neck. but i think back in the day they used to sell a spring at the parts stores that you could insert into your cars filler neck to keep people from siphoning gas. that was before the unleaded days. then they had an emergency kit for your unleaded car incase you went to a gas station that didnt sell unleaded gas. it was just a plastic fitting that would fit the larger nozzel and slide into the little hole for the unleaded. i just took a chisel and hammer and opened up that sucker and used leaded gas cuz it was cheaper. :2thumbs:

Have one in mine. Had it there when I bought it in 78. Had me wondering.
If your wheels ain't spinn'n you ain't got no traction.

rarefish

Here is a photo of the factory installed locking gas cap on my 68. I noticed that my locking gas cap is much thicker that the others shown here. When I close the gas door. I have to push door a little to get it to latch due to the rubber ring on the back of the door.

bakerhillpins

Interesting locking cap. Wonder if anyone can find something listed in the parts books or FSM that references that format lock. What, if any, part #s are stamped on your locking cap?

I have what I believe is a factory Locking gas cap (coded for it on the Broadcast sheet) on my 69 and mine looks like this one:

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Ghoste