News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Um, yea. Check out this "very special" Charger gas cap

Started by bull, January 13, 2012, 03:19:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I've got one of these "special" gas caps too but it's special because it's missing the spring and seal. This guy's "missing parts" gas cap comes with a very special price, as in $1,300 special, because he says it's for the cars with the in-neck locking gas cap. Who knew there was a special gas cap for those? If this one sells for $1,300 I'm going to see if I can get at least $700 for my old cap. And if I get $700 for mine I'll throw in free shipping (unlike this guy).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-Charger-Barracuda-NOS-MoPar-Flip-Top-GAS-CAP-4Lock-/140436893875#vi-content

djcarguy

wow that is special,missing the spring and seal like that????????????  as i have the plain old normal one right here at deck too compare it too????  looks like his comes with a special old piece of radiator hose in it to look or act as a anti rattle device  too???   well good luck to the winning bidder?????hahahahahahahaha :hah: :hah: :nana:

bull

My old one actually looks just like that one pictured above. The "normal" one I have does not have that rubber hose piece, but rather a metal spring. Not sure what's going on but I'm pretty sure that gas cap is missing something.

daveco

I'm pretty sure there was a special gas cap that could accommodate a second locking gas cap underneath.
R/Tree

bull

Quote from: daveco on January 13, 2012, 04:51:05 AM
I'm pretty sure there was a special gas cap that could accommodate a second locking gas cap underneath.

I've got the Layson's inside-the-tube locking gas cap and the normal flip top cap latched down right above it on my my 68 right now. The locking cap goes down inside the tube, below flush, and the center of it is recessed to accomodate that bulbous center on the cap that holds the rubber seal in place.

But hey, if it can be proven that this is a special locker cap, and they get $1,300 for it, I'll be doing cartwheels because my cruddy one ought to be worth at least $500, right?

Tilar

In his defense, he makes reference to 14-86-47 which is part number 2925710 and he mentions this in the ad. In the parts manual it has the Description:  COVER, Filler Tube Cap, W-Charger, use w/Locking Cap.    :shruggy:
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

cavemanno1

We have one as well but it is like a locking device that you put in the gas cap and it sits flush but no rubber gasket around it!it wiggles a bit but only a few millimeter so you cant put anything in it!To the best of my knowledge they don't re pop these are they!
so how much could it worth?

kab69440

I paid $25 for a NOS locking plug 20-odd years ago. I wouldn't think a used one would sell for much more than that.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

Surf Charger

Quote from: bull on January 13, 2012, 03:19:46 AM
I've got one of these "special" gas caps too but it's special because it's missing the spring and seal. This guy's "missing parts" gas cap comes with a very special price, as in $1,300 special, because he says it's for the cars with the in-neck locking gas cap. Who knew there was a special gas cap for those? If this one sells for $1,300 I'm going to see if I can get at least $700 for my old cap. And if I get $700 for mine I'll throw in free shipping (unlike this guy).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-Charger-Barracuda-NOS-MoPar-Flip-Top-GAS-CAP-4Lock-/140436893875#vi-content

You should ask a question to the seller "where is the spring/gasket?"

XS29L9B2

dodge charger 440 R/T match
dodge charger 70 projet daytona

hemigeno

Quote from: Tilar on January 13, 2012, 05:33:09 AM
In his defense, he makes reference to 14-86-47 which is part number 2925710 and he mentions this in the ad. In the parts manual it has the Description:  COVER, Filler Tube Cap, W-Charger, use w/Locking Cap.    :shruggy:

:iagree:

1968 was the only year they had a different filler tube cap when the Locking Cap was used - and it does indeed have the rubber ring with no spring/seal.  The rubber ring version of the cap would have come from the factory only on cars that were ordered with that option, even though the locking cap would still fit and work with the spring/seal version AFAIK.  In '69-70 they used the same spring & seal version for all cars whether they got the locking cap or not.  The only reason to buy a cap like the one in Mitchell's auction is if someone is doing a concours/very high-end restoration on a '68 Charger that has its broadcast sheet or window sticker which calls for the locking cap option (it's Sales Code J46 in '69, but '68 used different nomenclature).  Mitchell is marketing that cap to a very narrow, specific target audience who probably isn't worried about plunking down big $$ for ultra-correct NOS parts.  Used rubber ring version caps - unless they're in mint condition - probably wouldn't be worth more than any other used cap, since it would be next to impossible to make it look brand new again.  Rechroming works, but only to a point. 

:Twocents:

bull

:scratchchin: Ok, I guess I stand corrected on yet another screwy 68 thing. This seller should be asking for $3k. ;D

Now where would the code for locking gas cap be found? Build sheet? I have to assume my car was meant to have this since mine came with the "missing parts" cap too.

I don't see any mention of this feature in the 68 FSM.

hemigeno

Quote from: bull on January 13, 2012, 01:24:02 PM
:scratchchin: Ok, I guess I stand corrected on yet another screwy 68 thing. This seller should be asking for $3k. ;D

Now where would the code for locking gas cap be found? Build sheet? I have to assume my car was meant to have this since mine came with the "missing parts" cap too.

I don't see any mention of this feature in the 68 FSM.

Yeah, the sales code (again, I don't know what that specific sales code is for 1968) would be found only on the broadcast sheet or the Monroney Label a/k/a window sticker... maybe a dealership's vehicle order sheet also, but the latter wouldn't confirm the way the factory actually built the car.

It's a pretty fair guess your car had the locking cap option from the factory, although there's always the catch-all exculpatory logic of "the assembly line workers could have made a mistake" or "the line workers ran out of the right parts and used what they had", etc. etc.

:2thumbs:

bull

Yea, there's that and then the "God knows how many previous owners have messed with it" syndrome. :P

So this all brings to mind three more questions. First, are the caps the same other than the rubber ring vs. spring parts? Second, why does the FSM above only show two tamper-proof screws in the drawing above when everyone knows the cap takes three? And third, why are there five holes in the gas cap base when only three are used?

EDIT** one more I just thought of. If these caps are different, why do my two different styles of cap have the same part no.?

Just 6T9 CHGR

The '69 FSM pic adds the verbiage "Phillips head or tamper proof screws" but still uses the same pic.

As far as the difference in caps....meh  I would buy the difference in design maybe on the '68 Barracuda because didnt they use a larger inner cap on those cars anyway because the filler neck was on the side?  Locking or non locking?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

bull

mpdlawdog

my 68 has the same cap....I actually have the locking gas cap that goes in the filler hole.....I thought it was some aftermarket thing....I will have to get a pic of the lock and key.......
"Life is Tough...It's even tougher when you are stupid"  -John Wayne-

bull

:shruggy: So no pop and bounce when you open the "special" cap. What's so special about that?

I wonder what the rubber seals against?

nvrbdn

man did we all learn some stuff today. how crazy is that. :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

bull

Quote from: nvrbdn on January 13, 2012, 09:44:38 PM
man did we all learn some stuff today. how crazy is that. :2thumbs:

We did, but then I have more questions now than I had before. Why five holes? What does it seal to? Was this a Charger thing, a Barracuda thing, or both? Why only two security screws shown in the FSM? Who? What? Why?

ACUDANUT

This joker looks to have made over 7 digits selling Crap too. Check out how many things he has sold.  :o

Dans 68

Interesting factoid.  :scratchchin:  The option code in '68 for a locking gas cap is 538. I'm guessing that the rubber tube on the special gas cap bears against the top of the lock in the tube to make the airtight seal...and that for the '69 model the engineers realized that the spring cap would do the same thing.

As far as the extra holes I guess they were intended for use on other model cars. Perhaps the extra holes were designed in but never used in production.

Never enough to know about these cars.... ;)

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

doctor4766

I bought a second reproduction flip cap from PG Classics for my Aussie Charger and interestingly the screw holes didn't line up with the holes on the back of my car.
Their cap has markings for extra holes that I had to drill out to use on my car.
So I'm thinking perhaps the cap is designed to fit more than just a Charger but is drilled according to what you're fitting it to.

ps Doesnt the Barracuda use the same design cap?
Gotta love a '69

TheGhost

Not sure about the 68s, but my 67 had a different gas cap than the Chargers...
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.