News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Um, yea. Check out this "very special" Charger gas cap

Started by bull, January 13, 2012, 03:19:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill440rt

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Ghoste

rarefish

I'm confused now. Is the picture below of my locking gas cap correct for a 1968?

rarefish

Here is a picture of the cap removed and one of it in place. Does anyone else have the same locking cap set up?

bull

Quote from: Ghoste on March 28, 2012, 01:55:07 PM
What does Bull have on his car?

Mine had the springless flip top cap when I got it but no locking cap inside. :shruggy: Until I started this thread I though my flip top cap was just missing some parts. And I don't have a build sheet to verify if it came with a locking cap or not so I can only assume, based on what I've learned here, that it's stock and came with a locking cap.

bull

Quote from: rarefish on March 29, 2012, 09:17:32 PM
Here is a picture of the cap removed and one of it in place. Does anyone else have the same locking cap set up?

Never seen that kind of locking cap before.

bull

Quote from: Dans 68 on January 14, 2012, 01:59:45 AM
Interesting factoid.  :scratchchin:  The option code in '68 for a locking gas cap is 538.

Dan

Is that on the fender tag or is it a build sheet code only?

Ghoste

But the flip top portion is correct, on that we agree.  Has anyone looked in the 68 parts book or a 68 accessories catalog or anything like that?

bull

Quote from: Ghoste on March 30, 2012, 06:10:45 AM
But the flip top portion is correct, on that we agree.  Has anyone looked in the 68 parts book or a 68 accessories catalog or anything like that?

I posted a pic from the 68 FSM which only shows the "regular" cap but I don't have a parts book. I too am curious if the parts book has that other one.

UFO

But the flip top portion is correct, on that we agree.  Has anyone looked in the 68 parts book or a 68 accessories catalog or anything like that?

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/PartsAccessories/1968/68_Accessories_Catalog0020.jpg

Here's the parts book.

Ghoste

To me, that one in the accessory catalog looks like its a complete cap as opposed to the locking insert that would be in a 2nd gen filler.

bill440rt

Quote from: Ghoste on April 01, 2012, 08:43:06 PM
To me, that one in the accessory catalog looks like its a complete cap as opposed to the locking insert that would be in a 2nd gen filler.

The one in the link is also stating it's for a 1st gen Charger, not 2nd gen.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Ghoste

Ah, that would certainly explain it looking like a complete cap then.

daveco

My '69 R/T (early production) had that same '68 style set-up.
R/Tree

UFO

Quote from: bill440rt on April 01, 2012, 10:21:46 PM
Quote from: Ghoste on April 01, 2012, 08:43:06 PM

The one in the link is also stating it's for a 1st gen Charger, not 2nd gen.

I figured someone would spot that there is no listing for the charger,so what does a parts person do? Order the one for a coronet and hope for the best.
(Just my theory)

Ghoste

I'll look later but I'll bet the 2nd gen Charger specific one turns up in the regular parts catalog somewhere.

UFO

Quote from: Ghoste on April 03, 2012, 08:22:22 AM
I'll look later but I'll bet the 2nd gen Charger specific one turns up in the regular parts catalog somewhere.

Will all depend on the issue date of your catalog.
I have bought some that have the revised pages at the back of the binder.

Ghoste

Well my 68 manual is Sept. 67 so its fairly early.  So far, nothing to add though.  I have an NOS of the other type here still in the box and its part number is 2925 881.

moparfan53

Has anyone looked in the 68 parts book or a 68 accessories catalog or anything like that?

Here is the page from my 68 parts book.

Ghoste

That would correspond then with the part number I have on the more common one.  Which means we still have light to shed on that other style. :flame: :brickwall:

moparfan53

Has anyone looked in the 68 parts book or a 68 accessories catalog or anything like that?

Found this listing for 68 & 69 in the 1969 section at Hamtramck Historical. Still same number as parts book though.

Ghoste

So the picture is obviously just a representative one taken from the source used in the other Hamtramck link.

fy469rtse

Bull that cap in photo, yes is rare very early 68 version with the locking cap,
My 68 had the same cap and lock

fy469rtse

that cap if I'm right is a typical cuda , a body type of locking cap, it should be like bills

Mytur Binsdirti

I have NOS versions of both 68 caps.  As soon as I sell one,  I can retire!