News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 Rebuild

Started by coxie1996, January 12, 2012, 06:05:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxie1996

so i recently bought a 1974 440 with 727 tranny for $300.. still turns over & is all complete.. engine came out of an RV so i was told it has a higher torque cam? anyways I've never rebuilt an engine before, but i know what everything is/ know most of what i need.. will post pics tonight once i get home.. any advice will help a lot! 318's getting pulled once the 440 and 727 are built soo please help haha thanks! :2thumbs:

nvrbdn

yep we will all be over right after work. :smilielol: lots of pic's, and make sure you label every bolt etc you remove. bag stuff together in plastic freezer bags. you get the drift. just easier to remember what they all are 3 mos down the road. :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

bobs66440

Make sure you do a lot of research before doing ANYTHING. Mopars are very different than Fords & Chevys and come with their own very specific set of requirements. I know, because I'm doing my first one now and the learning curve is VERY steep.  :eek2:

Get this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Big-Block-Mopar-Engines-How-Rebuild/dp/1557881901

It doesn't have every bit of info in it, but there's a lot.

There are many very knowledgeable folks on this and other forums that are ready and willing to help out. Virtually every topic possible has been covered, so you can use the search function to get info right away.

Some info from you would also help.

What kind of build do you want to do? Stock? Modified? Street? Strip?

If it's a '74 motor, it's probably got a cast crank (as opposed to steel forged) and smogger heads which are less than desirable, but for a stock build they will work. Once you start to take it apart, you will see what you have and what you can and can not use. There's many aftermarket parts available but they're not cheap if you're used to Chevys. The good news is that you don't have a huge initial investment, so you have some room to go.

Cooter

First investment in this deal? Digital Camera. Take LOTS of pics BEFORE you disassemble engine.

After that, it all depends on what you want to do with that low compression, RV engine.(about 250 HP). If left alone stock, you mighta been better off with that lighter 318 making the same HP and a little less torque. But, if you step up the compression (New pistons), find some closed chamber heads, pick the correct cam/intake/etc. you will be surprized at the power potential of the mighty 440.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

AirborneSilva

Quote from: Cooter on January 13, 2012, 12:51:40 AM
First investment in this deal? Digital Camera. Take LOTS of pics BEFORE you disassemble engine.

Yes, especially of the front of the engine, it will help you figure out how all the pulleys go back on.  It helped me out when I built my engine  :yesnod:

coxie1996

Quote from: nvrbdn on January 12, 2012, 06:10:34 PM
yep we will all be over right after work. :smilielol: lots of pic's, and make sure you label every bolt etc you remove. bag stuff together in plastic freezer bags. you get the drift. just easier to remember what they all are 3 mos down the road. :2thumbs:
haha you dont live too far from me.. but like when i took the starter off i put the bolts in a bag and labeled them "starter bolts" almost every bolt so far is that way.. i have everything apart except cam, pistons, crank and timing chain.. been busy on a carb rebuild so havent had time to get on here.. will post pics when i can!

Budnicks

Quote from: bobs66440 on January 12, 2012, 07:45:17 PM
Make sure you do a lot of research before doing ANYTHING. Mopars are very different than Fords & Chevys and come with their own very specific set of requirements. I know, because I'm doing my first one now and the learning curve is VERY steep.  :eek2:

Get this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Big-Block-Mopar-Engines-How-Rebuild/dp/1557881901

It doesn't have every bit of info in it, but there's a lot.

There are many very knowledgeable folks on this and other forums that are ready and willing to help out. Virtually every topic possible has been covered, so you can use the search function to get info right away.

Some info from you would also help.

What kind of build do you want to do? Stock? Modified? Street? Strip?

If it's a '74 motor, it's probably got a cast crank (as opposed to steel forged) and smogger heads which are less than desirable, but for a stock build they will work. Once you start to take it apart, you will see what you have and what you can and can not use. There's many aftermarket parts available but they're not cheap if you're used to Chevys. The good news is that you don't have a huge initial investment, so you have some room to go.
Very good advice  :2thumbs: all true, try Summit Racing for some of the smaller stuff & Mancini Racing for the big stuff, good luck with your 1st build, you should buy & read some books on the subject 1st., Mopar Performance has quite a few...
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

coxie1996

the build is going well block is heading to the shop this saturday.. but quick question.. i want to sound like i know what im talking about.. so the block is pretty nice.. just real dirty! and im planning on honing the cylinders my self and using the stock pistons.. ive heard magna fluxed..thanks  :2thumbs:

nvrbdn

you have to measure the cylinders to know what will clean them up. has it been bored before? when you feel the cylinder walls is there a big lip at the top? that is an indicator of how far it is worn.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

coxie1996

Quote from: nvrbdn on January 18, 2012, 07:12:05 PM
you have to measure the cylinders to know what will clean them up. has it been bored before? when you feel the cylinder walls is there a big lip at the top? that is an indicator of how far it is worn.
i did not measure.. but i did check the lip as soon as i got the head off.. and there wasn't one  :lol:

nvrbdn

if there is no lip, or a very minor one, you may be able to clean up the cylinders and go with oversized rings. but you have to check all the cylinders.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

coxie1996

Quote from: nvrbdn on January 18, 2012, 07:34:05 PM
if there is no lip, or a very minor one, you may be able to clean up the cylinders and go with oversized rings. but you have to check all the cylinders.
i checked them all lol and ill just have the block hot tanked.. and have them check the pistons/cylinder walls.. and go with oversized rings if i can

AirborneSilva

I am by far an expert but I would have the block hot tanked, new cam bearings put in, the crank journals line honed/bored, check the deck to ensure it's true and yes have it magna fluxed to ensure you have no cracks.