News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Linkages

Started by lee, January 18, 2012, 03:19:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lee

Could someone please tell the difference between a 383 4bl linkage and a 440 4bl linkage i think this is why my kickage does not work since i switched from a 383 to a 440 thanks Lee

lee

i did this in a 68 dodge charger i took out the 383 and put in a 74 440 and left the orignal tranny

GreenMachine

I don't think there is a difference. I've heard people say there is but nobody has said what exactly the difference is. The only logical thing it would be is the vertical rod (on the 3 piece style linkage). But there is over an inch of adjustment on that rod and the height difference of the 2 engines are about 3/4".

As far as your issue, the '68 and the '74 engine use a different type of linkage. The '74 should have a long multi-angle rod going from the intake to the trans lever. The '68 should have a 3 piece set-up with 2 bellcranks. If you didn't swap everything over that could be your problem.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

John_Kunkel

In the same year, the difference in the 3-piece linkage is  the vertical rod that goes between the two bellcranks...the taller RB block requires a longer rod.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

oldkimmer

...........Also the bracket for the 440 is bent over towards the carb some to line up better with the carb, cause the 440 is wider........kim.......
Back in the good old days 1968 charger rt 440 magnum . 1968  charger 383 magnum. The Beast has been Unleashed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!