News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

who runs the Hurst Competition/Plus Shifter on their a833?

Started by CB, May 26, 2009, 10:24:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CB

My shifter feels like crap. I might look for a new Hurst competition plus shifter.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=HUU%2D3916789&N=700+115&autoview=sku

Who installed this shifter or can give some feedback please?
Thanks guys
CB
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

c00nhunterjoe

I WILL BE HOPEFULLY BY THIS WEEKEND! i will let you know how it feels

ITSA426

I just took one off and went with the Brewers/Hurst shifter so I could use the Inland handle and keep the round hole console boot looking correct.  They both feel right.  I'd recommend either. 

Charger-Bodie

CB the comp plus shifter is the way to go!! Ive had them in several cars and they work great!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

CB

thanks guys but I need to know what your experience is before and after.
If it is what I need I'll order it ASAP.
Cheers
CB
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: CB on May 26, 2009, 03:57:37 PM
thanks guys but I need to know what your experience is before and after.
If it is what I need I'll order it ASAP.
Cheers
CB

When comparing a comp plus to a new regular Hurst the diff isn't as much, but over a half worn old one its night and day. The adjustable stops really take alot of stress off of the rods too. They stay in adjustment for alot longer that way.The competition plus is just alot more maintenance free and more durable.

IMO Its a no-brainer the Competition Plus just plain works awesome......Order one!!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Rob R

I prefer the Super Shifter at least the old style ones...I have the one with the separate leaver for reverse and also the one that you push down to select reverse...the new super shifters have a little shorter throw than the comp plus...both are very good shifters :Twocents:

Blakcharger440

Quote from: Rob R on May 26, 2009, 04:50:56 PM
I prefer the Super Shifter at least the old style ones...I have the one with the separate leaver for reverse and also the one that you push down to select reverse...the new super shifters have a little shorter throw than the comp plus...both are very good shifters :Twocents:

Is the Super Shifter made by Hurst also?

Ghoste

Yes, it's a heavy duty unit and not always a drop in fit.

CB

I am going to try to remove the old shifter this weekend.
The shop has a 10d delivery time :popcrn:
CB
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

Supercharged Riot

Let me know how the new shifter works out

I got an A833 as well. and my shifter is SHITTY. (to  flabby)

Hopefully a new one will remedy my problem.  My shifter is soo crabby , that I got my car stuck in 1st gear  :flame:

CB

Quote from: Supercharged Riot on May 29, 2009, 12:58:42 AM
Let me know how the new shifter works out

I got an A833 as well. and my shifter is SHITTY. (to  flabby)

Hopefully a new one will remedy my problem.  My shifter is soo crabby , that I got my car stuck in 1st gear  :flame:

Sure keep an eye on the board.
I'll start a new threat about the shifter.
My shifter feels crabby too!
CB
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

John_Kunkel

The Hurst shifter that is original equipment on muscle era Mopars IS the Competion Plus, stamped right in the main body.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

ChgrSteve67

I put one on my A833 and I liked it.

The reverse spring is stiff and definitely stops you from accidentally putting the car in reverse.

Definite improvement over a shifter that is 40 years old.

Don't forget to buy the shifter installation kit.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HUU-3734089/

I need to dig it out of the shed and sell it and the A833 one of these days.

Supercharged Riot