News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A little Help I found 2 chargers

Started by Slipper, January 09, 2012, 10:02:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slipper

Hi Guys,

Recently I have discovered two Chargers in a shipping container where they have been living for the last 25 Years, one is a 69 and one is a 68 both are 440's my question for you guys at the fountain of knowledge is how to I tell the difference between an R/t and non R/T charger and what should I be looking at before I make the guy an offer ( where to find numbers Etc )....... Both cars are complete and mostly free of rust but I had very little further information as my time was limited when I made the discovery....... I am going back to meet with the guy who owns them on Friday and needless to say I would like to know what I should be looking at before I make him an offer.

Just as an aside I had to cut the padlock off the container as the guy had not been inside for 8 years  :laugh:

Any advice on buying these cars would be greatly appreciated. (She who must be obeyed says I can keep one  :cheers:, but the other has to go  :flame: )

Thanks in advance

Tony

41husk

The RT will have a VIN that starts with XS and the non will have a XP.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

maxwellwedge

Make sure you don't get killed for your money as well.

Slipper

Someone guessed they are in Eastern KY, I'll take the wife - pure KY farm Girl, I'm from the UK so I don't stand a chance 

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Sounds sweet, get pics!!!

Also, as said, R/T VINs begin with XS29 vs XP29

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Slipper on January 09, 2012, 10:17:35 PM
Someone guessed they are in Eastern KY, I'll take the wife - pure KY farm Girl, I'm from the UK so I don't stand a chance 

:lol:   I was sort of kidding....just sounds like it could be dicey......bring the wife and make sure she is packing!  :2thumbs:

nvrbdn

sounds like a neat find. good luck with these. which one ya thinkin of keeping? if theres a 4 speed will that be a decider? :shruggy:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

bakerhillpins

Here are some links that show how to check the numbers on Mopars. Its a tad thick since its different for 68s and 69s but if you read through all the steps it does say what to look for in a 69. Start with the first and be aware that the 2nd is primarily about 68s.

http://andy440.com/other.htm
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,38316.0/all.html

Don't forget to get us some pics!!!!   :yesnod:

Good luck.  :popcrn:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Slipper

I'll post the pics on Friday, the wife will protect me - I have yet to find a man who can stand up to her ( especially me )  :D

I would love a four speed but as I did not want to look too keen I did not look too closely, if any one is interested in either car let me know ( once I have the specs )

T

greenpigs

Needless to say neither will have a title?

Keep the best one(obviously) as without titles your not going to get near as much.

1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Slipper

The guy who is selling them says he has titles in hand, but of course that is yet to be seen

T

Finn

1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

projectanimal

Very Cool!  Sounds like a find straight from "chasing Classic Cars".    :2thumbs:   looking forward to pictures and the choice you make!   :cheers: :popcrn:
northwest CT

elanmars

If you don't take the '69 and he's selling it for the right price, I might be interested. Good luck!
1969 Dodge Charger, pseudo General Lee., 1973 ratty Dodge Charger.

check out my photography: http://www.tomasraul.com
instagram: tomasraul
facebook: www.facebook.com/tomasraulphotography

ACUDANUT

bakerhillpins

Quote from: greenpigs on January 09, 2012, 11:44:17 PM

Keep the best one(obviously) as without titles your not going to get near as much.

So what is the deal with titles and why does that change its value?  :shruggy:

I got a bill of sale for my Charger because both CT and NH will not title a car over X yrs of age.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Tilar

Interesting. I'd like to see pics of them for sure, but somehow sitting in a metal shipping container for 25 years has me thinking the moisture inside has taken its toll.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

greenpigs

Quote from: bakerhillpins on January 10, 2012, 10:34:16 AM

I got a bill of sale for my Charger because both CT and NH will not title a car over X yrs of age.

It is more of a what if scenario.

Many would worry that someone will turn up with the title to the car after your done with it & want it back. As in they are still owners, it would be complicated I guess if that happened. Like I said it is a BIG what if but if that does happen.....
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

freddyd02

Cant wait for pics either, I'm interested in either one so keep us posted   :2thumbs:

:popcrn:

1974dodgecharger

X2 what he just said. I saw many times folks sell the car for a bill of sale and then the owner comes up with the title in hand and guess what who owns the car now. the person who bought it with bill of sale has to sue the person who he bought it from.

Imagine putting thousands of dollars into a car only to be taken away from you.

Quote from: greenpigs on January 10, 2012, 08:05:14 PM
Quote from: bakerhillpins on January 10, 2012, 10:34:16 AM

It is more of a what if scenario.

Many would worry that someone will turn up with the title to the car after your done with it & want it back. As in they are still owners, it would be complicated I guess if that happened. Like I said it is a BIG what if but if that does happen.....

Slipper

There is a little more to the story, I met the guy who owns the cars on new years eve, my wife owns her own business and I was asked (very nicely ) if I could fix the guys hot tub for his new years party.........  :icon_smile_big: afterwards we got to talking about some of my other cars and the chargers just popped into the conversation.

As far as I can tell he is very fond of the cars and kept them with a view to having them restored, but as with all things it never happened - he told me he had them in storage for a while but the guys who ran the storage facility sat in the cars to eat their lunch  :-\ so into the container they went.

I have done a little research on the title issue, and as far as I can see if the titles are not available you just fill in a form, have both his and my signatures notarised and a new title is issued.... oh so simple ( maybe ).........

The next question is what to pay for them, I know that is a little up in the air until I check the Vin and show you guys and gals the pics.

Anyways, thanks for your input it has been really helpful in my first experience with American Muscle.

T

The70RT

Did he throw you a price or did he say make offer? Also has he been watching Barrett Jackson  :-\
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Slipper

He used the dreaded words "everything is for sale, make me an offer" and I don't have a clue - she who must be obeyed says offer in 5k and see what happens............

greenpigs

5K for both Chargers?

Might want to feel him out :icon_smile_big: a little better before offering that
. :Twocents:
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free