News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Glass Taillights?

Started by FastbackJon, January 04, 2012, 08:00:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FastbackJon

Tired of those old plastic lenses fading, getting brittle and cracking?

Well here's an idea... glass taillight lenses.

I think stained red glass taillight lenses would look awesome in a '66 Charger. Who wants to take that concept and run with it?

http://www.dickblick.com/products/amaco-excel-glass-kiln-with-glass-select-fire/?wmcp=google&wmcid=products&wmckw=30180-1010#itemspecs

"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV

ITSA426

Jon, I'm thinking you got way too much time on your hands.  I've owned a number of '50s cars and a with glass back up or parking light lenses but nothing as large as the Charger tail light.  Think how bad you'd feel if you dropped and chipped or broke a glass Charger tail light lens.

67440chrg

Mine are in great shape but if I ever needed new ones it would sound worth looking in to. I bet they would look better than most old plastic ones.

kab69440

If your beef with a plastic lens in brittleness (is that a word?) and the propensity for cracking, I don't believe glass is going to be a viable alternative. Can you imagine how much a first gen light assembly would weigh if the lens were glass?
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

bull

Don't worry, I've shared some bad ideas on here too. :D

Cooter

I would think with the newer ABS plastics one could repro the lens and it would resist cracking.;
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

FastbackJon

I think glass for one would look so much cleaner and brighter in the sunlight, it would resist fading a lot better and if a guy did it, he could even make a one-piece with no breaks rather than three separate pieces....

"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV