News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

alum..rads

Started by 68rtnut, January 08, 2012, 11:27:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

68rtnut

I  would like to put alum  rad in my 68  RT  440  4 bbl   non air,also would like to put into  my73  CUDA   340  4 bbl  w /air ,who  makes the best ones  prefer  usa made?????????? :2thumbs:

Budnicks

I bought 1 from Mancini Racing, I like the quality & perfect welds very much, fit perfect, they have some company in Milan, Michigan area {I think they said} building them supposedly.... Not the cheapest, but very high quality, Modine, Be-Cool, Flex-a-lite, Griffin, Howes are all good brands I've used in the past....
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

Fred

I fitted a Griffin radiator. Never had any overheating problems. It looks like stock and I'm very happy with it.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Silver R/T

Anyone know about Champion, sold on ebay, seems to be good quality and warranty
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

madmike

Silver RT:

I bought a Champion 26" radiator for my '68 Charger, 440.  The radiator basically bolted in, but there was no provision for attaching a radiator shroud to it.  I made my own brackets, that use the same mounting bolts as the radiator, go up the sides, and then my stock plastic shroud attaches to it.

If you're interested in show quality, forget it, the welds don't have a nice appearance.  It doesn't leak, it just doesn't look show quality.  Also, the radiator wasn't even flat!  When 3 of the four corners touched the core support in the car, I had an almost 3/4" gap at the fourth corner!  I took it back out, laid it on a table, and it confirmed that the radiator itself was 'racked'.  I called Champion, and they said I could flatten it by gradually tightening the bolts.  I didn't have time to exchange it, I've got to get the car going.

I ended up installing the radiator as is, and shimming two corners (so that to the casual observer, it doesn't look crooked).  It worked, and it doesn't leak, and my fan shroud supports worked out.

They are a cheap radiator, you get what you pay for, and even though mine is working, I would not recommend them, nor buy another one.

Budnicks

Quote from: Fred on January 08, 2012, 10:38:20 PM
I fitted a Griffin radiator. Never had any overheating problems. It looks like stock and I'm very happy with it.
I think GRIFFIN is probably the best for as close to stock mounting & quality, MODINE is a close 2nd, My 22" down flow 4 core MANCINI RACING aluminum radiator {much thicker than stock}, has a custom shroud for a 16" 2950cfm Be-Cool electric fan & a front mounted 13" 1600cfm aux. elec.fan, but has all the stock mounting, hose sizes top & bottom, auto trans cooler & drain locations, it just bolted right up....
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

4cruzin

Quote from: Budnicks on January 08, 2012, 05:47:55 PM
I bought 1 from Mancini Racing, I like the quality & perfect welds very much, fit perfect, they have some company in Milan, Michigan area {I think they said} building them supposedly.... Not the cheapest, but very high quality, Modine, Be-Cool, Flex-a-lite, Griffin, Howes are all good brands I've used in the past....

Actually the company making the Mancini rad is within a mile or 2 of their shop.  I bought one as well for my stroker and picked it up at their place.  One of the guys on my bowling league works for Mancini's and told me the radiator shop was right around the corner from them.  I'm happy with the radiator and it comes with a custom shroud for a little extra $$. 
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

Silver R/T

Quote from: madmike on January 10, 2012, 01:14:51 PM
Silver RT:

I bought a Champion 26" radiator for my '68 Charger, 440.  The radiator basically bolted in, but there was no provision for attaching a radiator shroud to it.  I made my own brackets, that use the same mounting bolts as the radiator, go up the sides, and then my stock plastic shroud attaches to it.

If you're interested in show quality, forget it, the welds don't have a nice appearance.  It doesn't leak, it just doesn't look show quality.  Also, the radiator wasn't even flat!  When 3 of the four corners touched the core support in the car, I had an almost 3/4" gap at the fourth corner!  I took it back out, laid it on a table, and it confirmed that the radiator itself was 'racked'.  I called Champion, and they said I could flatten it by gradually tightening the bolts.  I didn't have time to exchange it, I've got to get the car going.

I ended up installing the radiator as is, and shimming two corners (so that to the casual observer, it doesn't look crooked).  It worked, and it doesn't leak, and my fan shroud supports worked out.

They are a cheap radiator, you get what you pay for, and even though mine is working, I would not recommend them, nor buy another one.

I would've returned it, unless you didn't get any type of warranty with it.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722