News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Garage Air compressor hose

Started by bakerhillpins, November 28, 2011, 01:28:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bakerhillpins

Man, ever try searching for Air compressor (the garage tool) stuff? Lots of AC stuff which will be helpful but not now. I finally inserted "Craftsman" into the "Air compressor" terms and got stuff I wanted.  :lol: 

Ill start by saying that the primary reason for this question is finish carpentry/woodworking/cabinetry, of which I do all my own.

Need to pick up some new air hose for the CH compressor. My blue PVC hose has finally split at one end and needs replaced and so I am looking for input on a good replacement. The PVC is nice in that it doesn't leave scuff marks but it's unwieldy, has a nasty memory, and gets really stiff when the temp drops below 40F. Are there any rubber hoses out there that don't leave scuff marks? I have some black rubber hose that I really like but when it rubs against anything I get a nice black scuff mark. (sux for finish carpentry work  :eek2: ) So that hose has mostly sat dormant in the garage when it was replaced with the 50' section of blue PVC. I see lots of red rubber hose - anyone know if that leaves scuffs? How about the "Recoil" type hoses (PVC). I would expect those to be a PITA in that they always have tension on them and would end up feeling like a rubber band between the tool and the tank?

Thanks for any input.  :cheers:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

elacruze

I've found genuine Goodyear black rubber air hose at Harbor Freight, of all places, for a right price. It's not always in stock.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: elacruze on November 28, 2011, 01:36:23 PM
I've found genuine Goodyear black rubber air hose at Harbor Freight, of all places, for a right price. It's not always in stock.

IIRC, that is what I have (ordered from HF too) and it marks up just about everything it rubs against.  Maybe I just got a bad hose?  :shruggy:
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein

elacruze

Quote from: bakerhillpins on November 28, 2011, 01:40:38 PM

IIRC, that is what I have (ordered from HF too) and it marks up just about everything it rubs against.  Maybe I just got a bad hose?  :shruggy:

lol no that's the nature of the beast...if you want the best setup go for orange neoprene hose on a wall spool.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

bakerhillpins

Wall spool is great for in the shop (on the wish list) but is worthless when dragging the compressor though each room in the house as I finish them. I suppose I could find a way to mount the spool to the tank though.
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

bajaherbie

my red hoses don't leave scuff marks..... the yellow curly hoses suck and are prone to breaking at the ends but it is easy to cut off the damaged part and re-hook it to the fittings... i do have one yellow curly one on my compressor (60 gallon upright) that is used for dusting of me or airing up a tire, etc.

bull

I agree with the above about red rubber hose. I too, of all places, got a really good setup from Harbor Fright (not misspelled). I honestly believe it's a fluke when HF gets good products and upon discovery of such a travesty those in charge of purchasing immediately eliminate said products from inventory or find a way to cut corners in production so said products start failing quicker.

At any rate, I got a nice hose reel with 25' of red rubber hose from them for $70-$80-ish range and it's has been way, way, way better than the $200 POS reels they bought at my workplace. I believe HF had 50' reels too but I don't recall. The HF reel is nice and tight with plenty of spring and it has worked tremendously for years. They HAVE to have stopped stocking this reel/hose by now because it works too good.

bakerhillpins

Don't have a HF outlet near me so I just swung by the Homeless depot and grabbed a 50' red rubber line. Ill use it this week and post back. Thanks all!
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

bajaherbie

if it leaves a scuff mark, don't blame me!  lol

bakerhillpins

No worries. The pneumatic stuff was in the same isle as the 1x pine plank so I took the roll and rubbed it against the wood to see if it left marks.  :lol:  Seemed fine so only time will tell.   :popcrn:
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

69rtse4spd

Did you get your three wishes.  :lol:.

A383Wing

I have found that the green oxygen hose from a torch set-up work well also....just make sure whatever hose you get is high enough rated burst pressure

Bryan

bakerhillpins

Quote from: 69rtse4spd on November 28, 2011, 09:24:50 PM
Did you get your three wishes.  :lol:.

Well, it seems that I have, the red rubber hose doesn't leave any scuff marks. Used it a bunch over the past few weeks with no issues.  :2thumbs:  Thanks all!

Quote from: A383Wing on November 28, 2011, 10:04:33 PM
I have found that the green oxygen hose from a torch set-up work well also....just make sure whatever hose you get is high enough rated burst pressure

Bryan

Yea, got 300psi hose and operate from 120 down. So should be good.  :cheers:
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

Silver R/T

That's what I have right now, pretty good quality
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

twodko

I use a 50' FlexEel, super flexible doesn't leave marks.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

4cruzin

I have too agree with the wall mounted reel . . . love it.  The craftsman one does unhook from the mount pretty easy and then it portable.  Only time I have had to unhook it is when I want to blow out my sprinkler system as the hose will not reach to the side of the house.  Could always get another hose but  . . . just for that doesn't seem like enough reason to spend the money and then have it laying around . . .  :cheers:
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .