News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1969 R/T SE parts car - Should I buy it.

Started by Surf Charger, January 08, 2012, 01:01:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrible one

Quote from: bill440rt on January 23, 2012, 08:28:11 PM
Quote from: terrible one on January 23, 2012, 07:25:38 PM

What are those things in the trunk lid? They look like pipe plugs from here  :shruggy:

See my previous post. Looks like it used to have a luggage rack originally. That was one loaded R/T SE.
If the frame rails are good and there's any chance of giving it a second life, it would be very desirable when finished. If it's soft & squishy and structurally that far gone, well then at least it may live on to save others.

Thanks Bill, missed that one! Loaded is right. I agree, it would be awesome if it could be restored, but it's definitely borderline by the looks of it.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Surf Charger on January 23, 2012, 07:21:52 PM
Got around to scrubbing some of the 21 years worth of filth off of the side of the RT. Now the color looks more orange than red...not the general lee type orange but a little more like a redish orange. Any idea what the original color was called?

Wow... that was one sweet looking charger back in the day.   :drool5:  I take it the fender tag is gone and no broadcast sheet stuck in the seats?
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

rt green

i've seen people restore worse..........one thing leads to another
third string oil changer

RIDGERACER383

A real R/T I would have to bring that thing back to life.
1968 Dodge Charger 383 4bbl / 8.75 Rear 3.55

Surf Charger

Quote from: bill440rt on January 23, 2012, 08:28:11 PM
Quote from: terrible one on January 23, 2012, 07:25:38 PM

What are those things in the trunk lid? They look like pipe plugs from here  :shruggy:

See my previous post. Looks like it used to have a luggage rack originally. That was one loaded R/T SE.
If the frame rails are good and there's any chance of giving it a second life, it would be very desirable when finished. If it's soft & squishy and structurally that far gone, well then at least it may live on to save others.

Quote from: bakerhillpins on January 23, 2012, 08:42:16 PM
Quote from: Surf Charger on January 23, 2012, 07:21:52 PM
Got around to scrubbing some of the 21 years worth of filth off of the side of the RT. Now the color looks more orange than red...not the general lee type orange but a little more like a redish orange. Any idea what the original color was called?

Wow... that was one sweet looking charger back in the day.   :drool5:  I take it the fender tag is gone and no broadcast sheet stuck in the seats?

Bill you are correct. It did originally have a luggage rack. Floors and trunk pan are completely gone. I crawled under to check out the frame. Several parts of the main frame are rotted through on the bottoms. I'll take some more pictures when I get home from traveling for work.

No fender tag (rusted away). No broadcast sheet. There were a few door cards and a rear seat thrown into the vehicle..but they were not originally part of it so I'm not sure what color the interior would have been. Carpet was definitely black at one point...wasn't much left.

My whole reason for buying it was to pull the engine/tranny and rear axle along with the A/C parts and rear de-froster and swap them into my charger. I'm sure it could possibly be restored. Anything can be restored. It just depends how much money you want to spend. In this case, I imagine it would take some deep pockets and a lot of time to bring it back to its original state. It would have to be re-skinned, re-floored, straightened out as the front passenger frame rail and a-frame are bent to hell.

yellow68RT

I to have seen far worse restored ! Id haf2 say she's worth savin as long as youve got the fender tag or broadcast sheet! :2thumbs:

Surf Charger

Quote from: yellow68RT on January 23, 2012, 11:39:58 PM
I to have seen far worse restored ! Id haf2 say she's worth savin as long as youve got the fender tag or broadcast sheet! :2thumbs:

Unfortunately both were lost to the ravages of time.....

charger_fan_4ever

Soft unibody in multiple spots + no tag+ no sheet = parts car  :'(

nvrbdn

yep, frame rusted out, floors and trunk gone, definately some good stuff to get though. preserve the vin and title in a nice frame and get on with the task at hand. :yesnod:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Surf Charger

Peeled back some of the vinyl....

Also cleaned up the engine bay a bit....

bakerhillpins

:scared: That's a bit of rot in there...    :eek2:

Quote from: Surf Charger on January 23, 2012, 10:52:47 PM
No fender tag (rusted away). No broadcast sheet. There were a few door cards and a rear seat thrown into the vehicle..but they were not originally part of it so I'm not sure what color the interior would have been. Carpet was definitely black at one point...wasn't much left.

Get a chance to look in the headliner or behind the glove box liner for broadcast sheets?

96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein

Surf Charger

Quote from: bakerhillpins on January 26, 2012, 12:02:54 PM

Get a chance to look in the headliner or behind the glove box liner for broadcast sheets?

Not yet. Pulling the headliner out this weekend. No glovebox but I will dig around behind the dash just to be sure.

BigBlockSam

Great thread, wow that car needs a lot of help. if you sand blast it  there would be nothing left . shame, pretty car in it's day .  :popcrn:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

charger_fan_4ever

Pretty hardcore roof rot. Looks like even the inner roof in the c pillar section has disintegrated.

Surf Charger

Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on January 26, 2012, 06:44:03 PM
Pretty hardcore roof rot. Looks like even the inner roof in the c pillar section has disintegrated.

I get sad everytime I pull something else off or wipe something down. From what I understand, the guy that had it for 21 years said it was in great shape when he bought it...wrecked...but no rust. He used it as a parts car for his '69 Hemi Charger (which he sold in the late 80's early 90s for $5k.). Doh!

spoolinhard

look on the bright side, it will take little effort to pull the rear window!

nvrbdn

the car must have got hail damage? door chrome and other areas dinged up.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Surf Charger

Quote from: nvrbdn on January 26, 2012, 09:01:10 PM
the car must have got hail damage? door chrome and other areas dinged up.

I noticed that as well. Hail damage...or someone re-installed chrome and beat the hell out of it.

Quote from: spoolinhard on January 26, 2012, 08:57:16 PM
look on the bright side, it will take little effort to pull the rear window!

The rear window is literally just sitting in place. I can lift it out...its being held in by one piece of glue/rubber.

Brock Lee

I would be willing to buy the radio bezel if it is in there somewhere.

Surf Charger

Quote from: bakerhillpins on January 26, 2012, 12:02:54 PM

Carefully removed the headliner. Was definitely original but no broadcast sheet. :(

Old Moparz

Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Surf Charger on January 29, 2012, 11:40:21 PM
Carefully removed the headliner. Was definitely original but no broadcast sheet. :(

:-\  Would have been cool info to have just for the sake of history.

96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

XS29L9B2

dodge charger 440 R/T match
dodge charger 70 projet daytona