News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1969 R/T SE parts car - Should I buy it.

Started by Surf Charger, January 08, 2012, 01:01:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Surf Charger

Quote from: nvrbdn on January 14, 2012, 10:30:16 AM
yep did you drag it home? clean it out? change your mind? pic's pic's and more pic's :yesnod:

Yep...got her home today. Quite a bit of junk inside. Its rough but I'll be able to salvage quite a bit. I'll post some pics tomorrow. Yep it did come with a title.

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

adauto

Part it so others may live. And make a few bucks along the way!  :2thumbs:
Never too many! 70 Chally R/T Convert-70 GTX-68-69-74 Charger-68 Dart GTS

http://a-dauto.com/  http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Surf Charger

Quote from: adauto on January 14, 2012, 11:52:39 PM

I believe thats what I will be doing. Stinks cause when the guy got it, it was in perfect shape as far as rust is concerned....now its a rust bucket. Its really bad. Trunk lid is still rust free surprizingly....it has the mounts for a luggage rack. A/C box under dash is in good shape along with the controls. Rear defrost fan and components are still fine. Glass and chrome are all still good, minus the windshield.

There is a button under the dash that says "speaker" ....was that some kind of option for a speaker amp?

Dino

Quote from: Surf Charger on January 15, 2012, 10:12:02 AM

I believe thats what I will be doing. Stinks cause when the guy got it, it was in perfect shape as far as rust is concerned....now its a rust bucket. Its really bad. Trunk lid is still rust free surprizingly....it has the mounts for a luggage rack. A/C box under dash is in good shape along with the controls. Rear defrost fan and components are still fine. Glass and chrome are all still good, minus the windshield.

There is a button under the dash that says "speaker" ....was that some kind of option for a speaker amp?

I think it's the speaker balance option.  I may be wrong though.

Would be interested in the rear defrost system and the actual piece of metal that holds it and the speaker.  Mine was butchered by the previous owner.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Daytona R/T SE

Part it so others may live. And make a few bucks along the way!  :2thumbs:

Again...

Depending on your location, I'd be interested in the engine and all the brackets, power steering,alternator, manifolds and A/C stuff that goes along with it.

Location?

Location?

Location?

nvrbdn

ooooh sounds like mabey a road trip? those are fun :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

68 Bullitt Charger

Is the rear defrost and all the related parts still available for sale, very interested? Thanks, Joe
Some of the Mopar Ride's in Stable.....
58 Pymouth Fury "Christine"
65 Ply Satellite 9.43@141 mph
58 Ply Fury "Christine"
64 40th anniv 880 Custom 383 Pwr Everything!

I'd rather be hated for the person I am, than be loved for the person I am not!!!!!!

Surf Charger

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on January 15, 2012, 10:25:24 AM
Part it so others may live. And make a few bucks along the way!  :2thumbs:

I believe thats what I will be doing. Stinks cause when the guy got it, it was in perfect shape as far as rust is concerned....now its a rust bucket. Its really bad. Trunk lid is still rust free surprisingly....it has the mounts for a luggage rack. A/C box under dash is in good shape along with the controls. Rear defrost fan and components are still fine. Glass and chrome are all still good, minus the windshield.

Again...

Depending on your location, I'd be interested in the engine and all the brackets, power steering,alternator, manifolds and A/C stuff that goes along with it.

Location?

Location?

Location?

Sorry, dont' believe I will be parting with the engine/drivetrain and A/C parts. My original goal was to buy those parts but I happened to luck out and find numbers matching everything in one car. My Charger was originally an A/C car that someone removed over time. I plan on restoring that and going the R/T clone route. I'm in Wilmington, NC. I had posted an ad on craigslist looking for some parts and a guy called me from a surrounding town that had it for 21 years and said he'd like to get rid of the whole thing rather than just the parts...so I snagged it. I'm going to bring the 440 back to life. I look forward to it. Rear axle is 8 3/4 w/ the 3.55 posi gears.

What I'll be parting with will most likely be lots of chrome trim, extra gauge cluster, windows/glass, taillights, etc etc...not sure yet. But for now I'm just going through it. Body is in awful shape and that is too bad. Seemed to have been a beautiful car at one point. Too bad he didn't keep it under a shed or something. It was rust-free at the time he acquired it. Over the years, water got in and ate through the trunk and floors. You could see in where the trunk floor looked like a big sinkhole from slowly deteriorating over time. What a shame.

Heres some pics so far...haven't had any time to clean it up..just pulling junk out.

Dans 68

Good buy. Too damn bad. Good pics. Thanks for sharing them.

Now, about the rear defroster.... :scratchchin:   ;)

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Surf Charger

Still trying to find out some information on the "speaker" button located on the bottom of the dash. Anyone have any information on this?

69bronzeT5

Quote from: Surf Charger on January 15, 2012, 11:30:51 PM
Still trying to find out some information on the "speaker" button located on the bottom of the dash. Anyone have any information on this?

Sure do. My '73 Duster has this option. The speakers located on the rear package tray, if I remember correctly when you turn the knob it turns them on/off and adjusts the volume.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Surf Charger

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on January 15, 2012, 11:32:42 PM
Quote from: Surf Charger on January 15, 2012, 11:30:51 PM

Sure do. My '73 Duster has this option. The speakers located on the rear package tray, if I remember correctly when you turn the knob it turns them on/off and adjusts the volume.

Great! Thank you for that.

For you guys asking about a rear defroster, there is one on ebay right now...not sure it its the same one you are looking for but its out of a '69 R/T...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-charger-R-T-REAR-defroster-blower-1969-etc-works-/230729924557?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item35b8933fcd

moparfan53

quote: Still trying to find out some information on the "speaker" button located on the bottom of the dash. Anyone have any information on this

When the optional rear speaker (code R31) is ordered, that is the fader control for front to rear. Turning it all the way left gives front speaker, all the way right gives rear speaker.

I would think there are people who would like to add that option so the control and wiring should be easy to sell. I think it would work on all 68-70 B bodies. It may not be "correct" for 68 as the control was located up on the dash.

Thanks for taking time to take the great pics and posting them. :2thumbs:

terrible one

Thanks for posting more pictures!  :cheers: Too bad it's rusted away but still real cool

Nwcharger

my 69 has that speaker dial on the dash too. i figured it was some kind of balance or fade. how much for the cluster? :2thumbs:
1969 coronet wagon

XS29L9B2

thank for your news photos i think her very rusty she is dead .
dodge charger 440 R/T match
dodge charger 70 projet daytona

charger_fan_4ever

How are the rear frame rails ? From what you could see of the passengers side it looked surprisinly intact.

projectanimal

WOW - you have your work cut out for you, but great find with the R/T! 
looking forward to further pictures as you put your other car together! 

are the back up lights for 69 the same as 70?? 
northwest CT

bill440rt

Quote from: moparfan53 on January 16, 2012, 12:17:42 AM
quote: Still trying to find out some information on the "speaker" button located on the bottom of the dash. Anyone have any information on this

When the optional rear speaker (code R31) is ordered, that is the fader control for front to rear. Turning it all the way left gives front speaker, all the way right gives rear speaker.

I would think there are people who would like to add that option so the control and wiring should be easy to sell. I think it would work on all 68-70 B bodies. It may not be "correct" for 68 as the control was located up on the dash.

Thanks for taking time to take the great pics and posting them. :2thumbs:

X2   :iagree:
Also, with the rear defogger you only have one rear speaker. The defogger resides in the other speaker location.

That had a luggage rack, too?? That was one loaded R/T, I bet it was stunning when new.  :drool5: :drool5:

Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on January 17, 2012, 12:17:16 PM
How are the rear frame rails ? From what you could see of the passengers side it looked surprisinly intact.

I saw that as well. How are the rest of the frame rails on the car? If they are solid, perhaps the car might have a saving grace??
If they're gonzo too, send it off to pasture. What a shame. That would have been an incredible car.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Surf Charger

Got around to scrubbing some of the 21 years worth of filth off of the side of the RT. Now the color looks more orange than red...not the general lee type orange but a little more like a redish orange. Any idea what the original color was called?

**Sorry for the crappy quality pics...took them with my cell phone. I'll take better ones once I get home and get it scrubbed up a little better.

terrible one

Quote from: Surf Charger on January 23, 2012, 07:21:52 PM
Got around to scrubbing some of the 21 years worth of filth off of the side of the RT. Now the color looks more orange than red...not the general lee type orange but a little more like a redish orange. Any idea what the original color was called?

That looks like R4 to me. It was also available in late 1968 and was called "331 Charger Red." This is my cars original color! Hoping to go back to it someday. It is definitely an odd shade, kind of tomato colored.

Here's a thread with some R4/ 331 painted Chargers: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?topic=10544.0

What are those things in the trunk lid? They look like pipe plugs from here  :shruggy:

Dans 68

Quote from: terrible one on January 23, 2012, 07:25:38 PM...
That looks like R4 to me. It was also available in late 1968 and was called "331 Charger Red." This is my cars original color!...

That is Bev's '68 383 4-bbl 4-speed. Beautiful car. http://www.sunsetclassics.com/1968-dodge-charger/

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

bill440rt

Quote from: terrible one on January 23, 2012, 07:25:38 PM

What are those things in the trunk lid? They look like pipe plugs from here  :shruggy:

See my previous post. Looks like it used to have a luggage rack originally. That was one loaded R/T SE.
If the frame rails are good and there's any chance of giving it a second life, it would be very desirable when finished. If it's soft & squishy and structurally that far gone, well then at least it may live on to save others.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce