News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is this the right cigar(ette) lighter element for a 68?

Started by bull, September 21, 2012, 07:30:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I've seen other styles said to be for a 68 but this is what was in the car when I bought it.

Dans 68

Here is mine. Dec 26th scheduled build date.

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

bull

Thanks, Dan. Seems I've got a transplant which is no surprise considering the freelance nature of the previous owners when it comes to interior design. :lol:

Ghoste

Don't feel too bad Bull, lighters are one of those easily replaced items that after decades of existence many of our cars have had replaced.

ODZKing

The one that Dan posted is the one that is in my 67 in the back console and same as my 73 - so I would agree that is correct for 68.

bull

I thought I saw someone selling the whole new lighter set with the element/handle, the cyliner and all. Can't find it now.

Ghoste

Does Dodge still sell it?  The thing didn't change much for 30 years or so did it?

bull

Quote from: Ghoste on September 23, 2012, 06:12:12 PM
Does Dodge still sell it?  The thing didn't change much for 30 years or so did it?

I stopped in and asked at the parts counter the other day and the answer, like always, was no. There is one guy there that is pretty decent about helping me out with the older parts but most of them don't know and don't care about anything but what's on the computer screen.

ODZKing

The knob is 2290188 and the element 3004190. 
The knob number should give you an idea how long they used that design.

That number is NS1 meaning no longer available.
However they were used in just about EVERY Mopar at one point or another into the 80's.
Next time I am up at the yard which may be next week, I will grab you one if you like.  The knob is detachable from the element so all you need do is get a new "lighter" part   :icon_smile_wink:.

bull

Quote from: ODZKing on September 23, 2012, 08:37:02 PM

However they were used in just about EVERY Mopar at one point or another into the 80's.
Next time I am up at the yard which may be next week, I will grab you one if you like.  The knob is detachable from the element so all you need do is get a new "lighter" part   :icon_smile_wink:.

That would be cool. Wildcat apparently has one but wants $150 for the set and won't separate it. I've seen a few similar examples from later models that are the same except they have a gnurled edge instead of a smooth one like Dan's above.

ODZKing

bull

Ghoste

bull

Exactly. Those last two handles pictured are wrong. The last one looks close but it's off a bit.

JB400

squeakfinder

Quote from: bull on September 24, 2012, 07:49:14 AM
Quote from: ODZKing on September 23, 2012, 08:37:02 PM

That would be cool. Wildcat apparently has one but wants $150 for the set and won't separate it. I've seen a few similar examples from later models that are the same except they have a gnurled edge instead of a smooth one like Dan's above.

I've been at there yard a few time's and stuff just sits there and sits there. No wonder.  :eek2:
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

bull

I like them but they need to get real. They act as if they're sitting on the last remaining Mopar parts cache on the planet. If they had any sense they would buy parts off Ebay or at swap meets and mark it up a little to get some traffic but they seem dead set on trying to sell only the parts they find at ridiculous prices.

Ghoste

bull

Found one today but it's the later style with the gnurling around the edge of the handle. The end looks right though. Good enough for $1 (plus $3 to park and $5 entry). Also found a real nice steering wheel for $20.

Ghoste

bull

Yea, a guy selling Chevy parts had it at the Canby swap meet today and when I saw the price I asked him if it was for a Mopar, just to see what he would say. "That's what I'm told," he said, so I handed him a $20 and went on my merry way.

VegasCharger

Holy crap! Good score Bull. I'll buy that from ya for $50.00 LOL

bull

I bet you would. ;)

Found a cigarette lighter assembly today for $3 at N. American Muscle Cars. :2thumbs: Just needs cleaned up a little.