News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Painting Alternator: Suggestions?

Started by Surf Charger, January 05, 2012, 09:04:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Surf Charger

Looking for recommendations on painting my alternator to look decent again.

Can it be taken apart fairly easily to paint the outer shell? What paint to use?

thanks!

b5blue

Check out Eastwood they have paints for everything in restoration.  :2thumbs:

Surf Charger

Good deal. Any recommendations on taking it apart to paint? Or is it best to leave it together?

Nacho-RT74

yes can be taken appart. needs some tooling but is fairly easy

No I wouldn't paint it, maybe a chemical procedure to clean it the best as posible.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Cooter

Paint the housing if you can, as if it sits outside any length of time, or even inside a place that sees any dampness, your alternator will turn white.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

b5blue

I agree with Cooter, my Denso is just starting to fuzz after 16 months in Florida wet air.  :scratchchin: Gotta coat it with some oil or something to slow that down.

bill440rt

:yesnod:

Or, as an alternative you could bead blast the case & coat it with a hi-temp satin clear from Eastwood or similar. It would retain it's original finish if that's what you're going after.

The case is aluminum/pot metal so it will oxidize if left exposed hence the white coating.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

John_Kunkel

I use Krylon Dull Aluminum, about the same as Eastwood's Aluma-Blast but easier to find locally.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

b5blue

I stopped buying Krylon when they went to the new crappy formula.  :rotz:  Shame it WAS good stuff before...

bill440rt

Hmmm... really Neal?
I haven't tried Krylon in quite a while. Their Dull Aluminum was pretty good stuff. VERY similar to Eastwood's Aluma-Blast.

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

A383Wing

Quote from: b5blue on January 05, 2012, 09:46:37 PM
I stopped buying Krylon when they went to the new crappy formula.  :rotz:  Shame it WAS good stuff before...

yea..no kidding...that used to be almost the best paint around....it's crap now

Bryan

b5blue

I use to Krylon silver then Krylon clear coat and things came out great. Used semi gloss black on all kinds of metal and plastic, re-coats right away or even years later came out nice. Now UGH! I took 4 cans back to Walmart after using a little of 1 can, it blotched, fish eyed and wrinkled over a part coated with original Krylon.  It may be fine on clean prepped bare metal or plastic new application but it was how I maintained protection on most of my chassis. Now I use Rustolium.   

Surf Charger

Can any of you guys provide pictures of the results?

bill440rt

Here's the closest pic I have handy at the moment.
This is a natural casing with a satin clear.

John_Kunkel

Here's what the Krylon Dull Aluminum looks like.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

bill440rt