News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

70 Coronet for sale for bird clone

Started by PocketThunder, January 02, 2012, 10:49:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PocketThunder

Since you guys missed the coronet in Houston a month ago.  There is a guy on here parting out a 70 Coronet.  Gary Mendy is his name.  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,85655.0.html
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

nascarxx29

Gary Mendy out of Ohio good guy.Check out dash appears to have AM-8 track
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

69bronzeT5

Tons of stuff I could use off that Coronet for mine. Way out of my price range though.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

F8-4life

Sorry to say but thats just LAME parting out such a rarity.

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: F8-4life on January 03, 2012, 12:58:03 AM
Sorry to say but thats just LAME parting out such a rarity.

its a two edged sword , I am sure it could be rebuilt but at what cost.. Like just the fender alone if you are paying to have it done. :shruggy:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

pettybird

it's a cool car to a Coronet junkie, but coronet junkies are dirt poor and cheap.

nvrbdn

and then there comes a time when no one wants to buy it, and you dont want to give it away knowing the parts can bring a decent price. how long do we expect someone to hold onto a car no one wants to buy just to keep from ending its life?
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

70Sbird

Quote from: nvrbdn on January 04, 2012, 01:27:41 PM
and then there comes a time when no one wants to buy it, and you dont want to give it away knowing the parts can bring a decent price. how long do we expect someone to hold onto a car no one wants to buy just to keep from ending its life?

Not all cars can be (or should be) saved.
But who am I to talk, I cut up more A bodies in the 80's for parts that were in better shape than some of the 5K projects for sale today.

This particular Coronet would need LOTS of help to come back from the dead and probably never be worth the cost. But again, who knows 20 years from now it may be a $20K builder, but someone would have to buy it and hold onto it for that time, keep all of the parts together with the car and not let it deteriorate any further
That car would be an awesome ride though, 383 4-speed, good color, nice interior package and a white top!

:shruggy:

Scott Faulkner

held1823

Quote from: pettybird on January 04, 2012, 01:23:44 PM
it's a cool car to a Coronet junkie, but coronet junkies are dirt poor and cheap.

i'm living proof, being both dirt poor and cheap.

the hood options and folding top available on a coronet, don't even exist for a charger. i'd choose those over a non aero charger, hands down.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

held1823

i even like coronets in top-on/hood-off form. not sure who owns this local car, but more than once i've seen it water injected, while being driven in the rain.

i now return you to your regularly scheduled charger programming...
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

moparstuart

my buddy mikes car 

F8-4life

You guys make some good points. I don't know about ya'll but even if I were broke I would still hold onto that car and store it for years just for preservation...as its such a rare and neat ride. This is just a humble opinion and I'm not trying to start anything but that car lived and survived 42 years to be cut up for quick cash. Seems pretty lame to me and it also says the owner doesn't appreciate the car for what it is.

held1823

is the orange one a real r/t, or a clone?

nothing to do with the first question, but his looks to have a body color piece between the grilles. i've seen R/T's with both body color and chrome there, and wonder what was the distinction on how the various models came? is there an option code for a car done one way or the other?

i don't recall seeing any (original) super bee with just the chrome there, although, if my memory serves me, my fc7 bee did have the chrome piece underneath a painted, bolt-on plate. that seems odd in retrospect, so now my curiousity makes me wonder which models came which way.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

pettybird

Quote from: held1823 on January 04, 2012, 02:01:51 PM
Quote from: pettybird on January 04, 2012, 01:23:44 PM

i'm living proof, being both dirt poor and cheap.

the hood options and folding top available on a coronet, don't even exist for a charger. i'd choose those over a non aero charger, hands down.

I think the former Otis Chandler Hemi R/T car doesn't quite fit my description...  I really don't like the double-grille front but I wouldn't kick that car out of the yard.

70Sbird

Quote from: F8-4life on January 04, 2012, 05:12:34 PM
You guys make some good points. I don't know about ya'll but even if I were broke I would still hold onto that car and store it for years just for preservation...as its such a rare and neat ride. This is just a humble opinion and I'm not trying to start anything but that car lived and survived 42 years to be cut up for quick cash. Seems pretty lame to me and it also says the owner doesn't appreciate the car for what it is.

F8-4life,
I do agree with you line of thought and I don't think anyone in this hobby wants to see an old car simply cut up for a quick buck. It would be a loss for sure to part it out, since they aren't making any more, and the number grows fewer every day. However, If I would have kept every car I could have saved, I would have 10 acres of cars rusting away and everyone harassing me for not giving them away to someone who would take better care of them. The bottom line is that to "keep" this one requires a lot of space, it is basically immobile and will continue to deteriorate at an accelerating rate if left outside in the elements.
Unfortunately the seller has been trying to sell the car for at least a couple of months in the $5K range with no takers, and has the knowledge that some percentage of the parts could be sold off of the car for more than his asking price. So, if he doesn't have infinite storage at his disposal I really don't see many options. And, once the more valuable parts start disappearing the remaining hulk and "nick knacks" will take increasingly more time and effort to sell, and the total car will be worth even less as this process continues until simply scrapping the remains is the only option.
Parting out a complete car down to the shell is a long, PITA process and I hate to see cars go like this but it's simply a fact of economics and the state of the hobby at this time.
My wife would like to save every stray animal at the shelter as well, but it just isn't feasible
:Twocents:

Scott Faulkner

held1823

Quote from: pettybird on January 04, 2012, 05:23:53 PM
I think the former Otis Chandler Hemi R/T car doesn't quite fit my description...  I really don't like the double-grille front but I wouldn't kick that car out of the yard.

lol. i started to just post the photo, and ask if a pig wearing lipstick is still just a pig. that car is one of just two or three made, if i recall?
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

F8-4life

Yea I understand. Maybe I'm a fool but I saved a og paint '68 coronet 500 from being parted and its missing the engine/trans and its just a common 383 auto car. So to see this chopped up hurts a bit.

pettybird

Quote from: held1823 on January 04, 2012, 05:44:31 PM
Quote from: pettybird on January 04, 2012, 05:23:53 PM

lol. i started to just post the photo, and ask if a pig wearing lipstick is still just a pig. that car is one of just two or three made, if i recall?

yeah it's stupid rare.  3-4 maybe?   And, an R in the VIN suuuuuure is a lot of lipstick  :lol:

pettybird

Quote from: held1823 on January 04, 2012, 05:20:52 PM

nothing to do with the first question, but his looks to have a body color piece between the grilles. i've seen R/T's with both body color and chrome there, and wonder what was the distinction on how the various models came? is there an option code for a car done one way or the other?

It was optional on a 'bee, and should be standard on the R/T and 500.  You could order a front grille decor package that had the chromed lower bumper plate, the valance panel chrome and the bumperettes.  It's coded on the build sheet but I don't remember what it is now...

nascarxx29

I still have my 70 burnt orange on burnt orange Coronet 383 4 bl 500 but have owned 70 RT and Super Bee 4 doors station wagons that paint panel between the bumper is a riveted on metal cover plate .Remove the rivets and its chrome underneath :Twocents: Its a shame to see a 70 Coronet get crushed or parted :Twocents:

My old RT loaded with many optionsAC PS PW 6 way seats etc 1 of 2 known

pettybird

Quote from: nascarxx29 on January 05, 2012, 01:29:11 AM
My old RT loaded with many optionsAC PS PW 6 way seats etc 1 of 2 known

and now your current one is loaded with magazines and garbage bags of die casts!

moparstuart

Quote from: held1823 on January 04, 2012, 05:20:52 PM

i don't recall seeing any (original) super bee with just the chrome there, although, if my memory serves me, my fc7 bee did have the chrome piece underneath a painted, bolt-on plate. that seems odd in retrospect, so now my curiousity makes me wonder which models came which way.
it was a rust bucket basket case 500  , so yes a clone  now has a bullet proof six pak motor and  tremec manual trans . He drives it everywhere and on all the power tours .  

I have located a 500 convertible that is also a basket case and for sale  , It will one day become a one of none superbee convertible   c stripe and all .  I love this body style and the c stripe !!!!!!!  

nascarxx29