News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Cam size?

Started by projectanimal, January 01, 2012, 05:16:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

projectanimal

After removing the intake manifold (which had no gaskets, I guess that's where the oil came from! :brickwall:) and Valley pan I am able to see a Pink painted Cam from the previous owners "rebuild".  Do the Cam colors tell you what the size is?  I couldn't see any numbers.  we're hoping with a new valley pan, proper gaskets, and sealant we'll be able to stop the oil leaks and get her running smooth!  :2thumbs: 

Any info on what you guys see in these pictures is appreciated! 

Cheers
northwest CT

Chryco Psycho

typically that would be a Mopar Performance cam but all of them are painted that way so you would need a dial indicator to measure the lift , multiply that by 1.5 & you should be able to determine the cam size

projectanimal

Thanks for the info!  :cheers:   found some info on Summit racing website.  :2thumbs:   
northwest CT

doctor4766

I discovered that I had been sent the wrong cam only after talking with Mancini last year.
He said there was a colour coded dot on the end of the shaft to identify the specs and mine was very close to the Chrysler turquoise that the engine was painted. Turned out to be a .509 cam instead of the Magnum cam I had ordered.
Point is, check on the end to see if yours has a colour code too, although you probably need to pull the cam if I remember correctly?
Gotta love a '69

Cooter

It's a "Purple Shaft", other than that, it's hard to say by just looking at it in the engine. MOST LIKELY it's a typical choice of .484 lift 284 Duration/ or the .509 lift 292 Duration...However, this isn't always the case.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

projectanimal

Thanks guys.  I did notice online that it's called "purple" even though it does look pink in person.  not planning to pull more off the engine just to look as we're just trying to get new gaskets and stop the leaks!!   :rotz:   fingers crossed but it appears to just be lack of proper gaskets and sealant by the previous owner!

:cheers:
northwest CT

Cooter

Quote from: projectanimal on January 02, 2012, 12:12:19 PM
 fingers crossed but it appears to just be lack of proper gaskets and sealant by the previous owner!

If your referring to the Intake Valley pan gasket, then no, they installed it correctly. ALL of them that aren't sealed with two gaskets per side leak. I use sealer on mine on both sides. Seems to work ok to keep leaks down. Just wait till your Rear main seal begins to give you fits and there's no real solution to STOP the leak as ALL BB Chryslers leak a certain amount of oil from the rear main seal area.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

projectanimal

Mine had NO gaskets or sealant, so I assume that's why the leak.  Ordered a new Intake manafold gasket set, Valley Pan, and Valve cover gaskets today at NAPA to freshen everything up!   :2thumbs:
hope by the end of the week we'll have the top back on the engine as well as our Carb back from getting cleaned  so we can fire it up and check for any other leaks.   I still don't know how long this car really sat, so it will be good to be abel to run a while and get the rest of the seals lubed! 

northwest CT

justcruisin

I have allways used just the valley pan on stock heads with a little RTV to help with a seal. If you have the felpro pan and facing gaskets you may want to check port alignment as the gaskets are 0.030", with one each side of the pan I have found them too thick.

Sublime/Sixpack

I just use the intake gasket (valley pan) with a little dab of silicone in the corners. No leaks.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

Chryco Psycho

I generally use the FelPro intake gasket # 1214 [B engine]  or 1215 [RB engine] so you block the heat crossover port

projectanimal

Thanks Guys.   :cheers:
I wasn't sure about the gaskets on top and bottom of Valley pan, but planned to throw a bit of sealant around the corners and then gasket on top of the pan for the Intake.  I'll see how it fits/looks once I get the new parts tonight!   :2thumbs:
northwest CT

Sublime/Sixpack

Quote from: projectanimal on January 03, 2012, 10:02:06 AM
Thanks Guys.   :cheers:
I wasn't sure about the gaskets on top and bottom of Valley pan, but planned to throw a bit of sealant around the corners and then gasket on top of the pan for the Intake.  I'll see how it fits/looks once I get the new parts tonight!   :2thumbs:
Just to clarify, you do realize that the factory just used the gasket that you refer to as the valley pan, right?

404NOTFOUND

I used spray on gasket sealer around the ports and ends of the valley pan and RTV sealant in the corners. Seems to work fine.
My 1969 Charger. RIP......Rest in pieces.

projectanimal

QuoteJust to clarify, you do realize that the factory just used the gasket that you refer to as the valley pan, right?

I did not realize that, but I have read on here that a bead of silicone around the back of the pan helps.  there was NO sealant or additional gaskets when I took the old one off.  Maybe the extreme leaking I had was due to sitting or just poor installation by the previous guy??? 
I plan to use the sealant supplied with the Valley Pan.   looking forward to popping off the Valve covers and seeing how it looks under them as well!   :2thumbs:

Picked up my new gaskets and Pan on my way home from Work tonight, but seeing how it's now in the teens in my garage  :RantExplode: I think I'll clean parts in my basement and wait for warming temps later in the week. :popcrn:   
northwest CT

BigBlockSam

QuoteI have allways used just the valley pan on stock heads with a little RTV to help with a seal

don't just use silicone on the front and back . i also put it around the intake ports on the valley pan gaskets. never had a problem there with leaks.  :cheers:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Sublime/Sixpack

Quote from: projectanimal on January 03, 2012, 05:31:52 PM
QuoteJust to clarify, you do realize that the factory just used the gasket that you refer to as the valley pan, right?

I did not realize that, but I have read on here that a bead of silicone around the back of the pan helps.  there was NO sealant or additional gaskets when I took the old one off.  Maybe the extreme leaking I had was due to sitting or just poor installation by the previous guy???  
I plan to use the sealant supplied with the Valley Pan.   looking forward to popping off the Valve covers and seeing how it looks under them as well!   :2thumbs:

Picked up my new gaskets and Pan on my way home from Work tonight, but seeing how it's now in the teens in my garage  :RantExplode: I think I'll clean parts in my basement and wait for warming temps later in the week. :popcrn:  
Who knows what the previous owner did, or had done to your engine (block and heads) in the way of decking or milling. Hopefully it was done properly so your intake fits nicely on the heads.  I mainly wanted to point out how they came from the factory just so you were aware of it.

projectanimal

Thanks Sublime!   :cheers:   I appreciate all the info as I am still a newbie, but learning quickly!  it's been nice to take off the manifold and look around a bit.  tomorrow I'm hoping to pop off the Valve covers and see what it looks like and snap a few pictures.   the car ran well when we fired it up, just leaking from the valley pan.   :'(   

just heard that my Carb will be ready in a few days after a soak and rebuild kit!   :2thumbs:   if that doesn't help the idle, then we may just have to throw a new Eddy on top!   :coolgleamA:
northwest CT