News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

engine tranny bolt together problem.

Started by flathead1946, January 01, 2012, 01:22:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flathead1946

I have a 1968 charger that is completely disassembled. It has a 383 auto. I am putting a rebuilt 1966 440 in it. I am attempting to bolt the tranny to the engine. I am using the 383 flex plate. the converter fits and I have managed to bolt the flex plate to the converter. However when I snug done the transmisison to the engine I can not turn the engine over with a wrench on the crank. I loosen the tranny bolts up and it turns. the tranny is in neutral. any ideas? thanks in advance.

nvrbdn

is the torque converter spun in? when you put it in place turn it a couple times and push. it will drop in. then put the motor and trans together.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

flathead1946

Thanks for the info I loosened the tranny and turned it over a few rotations and then snugged it up and it appears to have worked. thanks again

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

GreenMachine

Hopefully you weren't too rough with it and damaged the trans pump. Been there, done that.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

nvrbdn

thats true, you can damage the pump that way. :yesnod:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House