News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I'm starting to understand the "losing interest" feeling now

Started by bull, January 22, 2006, 01:51:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

70charginglizard

Quote from: bull on January 23, 2006, 12:00:52 AM
Thanks again, guys. Part of my problem is that I'm pretty fixated on getting it done ASAP because I cannot stand letting projects sit for years unfinished. It's already created a lot of stress during the past year that I've been working part-time and overtime but I can't see the logic in stretching the project out over five years or so. Why wait for more stuff to go wrong and delay the project? Well see though. I'm in the assessment mode so I'm willing to consider other options. I really don't want to sell though.

Bull,
bottom line. Regardless of what happens you'll still be here.
Just dont get to hung up on the gotta finish it now thing. It will get done. I know you. your not a procrastinator. you always seem to get things done regardless what it is be it car, pictures, posts.

Sorry to hear bout your Dad though. Thats gotta be a hard thing to deal with. Lost my mom when I was 18 and always think about how good of a person she was. You just gotta hold on to thoughts like that when things like this happen.
70charginglizard

8WHEELER

First I would like to say I hope the best for your Dad and your family, very hard thing to go through.

As for as your car goes take a breath, I was told by the ''BODY MAN HA'' that I let talk me into restoring
my blue Charger that the car would be completely done in 8mo, that was of may of 2000. Well as I think
you know I had to bring the car home a little less than two years ago. I got two really bad paint jobs and
bad body work all over the place. So I went down there picked it up because it had been sitting outside
for over 2yrs. And I am out 12k cash just for labor, and I have touched it in the last 2yrs. Saving money
to find somebody that knows what they are doing, and does not lie.

You on the other hand have taken your car to a reputable shop and you know first hand they do good work.
As you can well see you have a great support group hear, I am jealous, so hang in there 'CHARGER OWNER'  ;D

I am living with this.............  :icon_smile_blackeye:

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

5.9_Liter_Grand_Cherokee

Quote from: bull on January 22, 2006, 10:41:17 AM
I hope I can somehow figure out a way to relate to him somehow before he dies so there will be no regrets. Now I'm just waiting to see if he pulls through to decide whether my brother and I should go down and see him. It's tough to know what to do.

Bull:

You said it right there.  Just tell him what you said on this message.  But, don't wait go see him, because if you don't and he doesn't make it you will regret it.  The Charger can wait, it isn't going anywhere.  It can sit in the garage and collect dust for years and not affect your relationship with it.  But you only have your family once.  If you needed the cash for a life saving surgury, I would say go ahead and sell the car.  But, that isn't your situation, so if you need to, let the car sit for awhile and deal with the other stuff.  The Charger won't mind at all.
Formerly chargerdaytona477

Mefirst

I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad.. I hope that he will better.. but if he has come to the end of his ride on the highway of life, then be there for your mum, she will need you..

Selling the Charger wont change things for the better.. Personally I think you'll feel much worse if you sell her cause you put so much of your time, energy and money into it.. Just keep your head cool for a while and then re-check your situation again.. If you have to sell the ride to make ends meet, then so be it, but don't sell her until you absolutely have to...

Take care Bull

/Tom

4402tuff4u

Very sorry to hear about your father. When a family member becomes ill, it always puts a negative view of all things in life that you use to enjoy and look forward too. It's easy for us to advise you differently than how you really feel since we are not directly involved, however sometimes a different perspective on an issue may help us deal with the less desirable things in life. You are obviously going through a traumatic time in your life with your dad being sick, but as other members point out, you might be adding to your depression and sadness if you sell one of the things that you use to look forward to. Set it aside from when the proper time comes. It will still be there waiting for you like a friend.

Hope everything works out for your dad. Pray to the big boss upstairs, he listens and gives you direction when you are in need.
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

69_500

Bull I hope that you don't give up and sell your Charger. Especially after spending a long time on the old board watching you chase a charger to call your own. Don't give up just yet, its a long process to restore a car, but once it is done you'll really enjoy it.

I'm not looking forward to one day restoring my 500, as I love to just go out to the garage and fire it up and go for  drive. But when it is done I know that I'll enjoy it twice as much, or at least I think I will.

Hope you dad pulls through, and that you two become closer. My dad is one of my best friends, and I don't know what I'd do without his shoulder to lean on, and his ears to bounce my problems off of. He is a great listener, and has great advice. Even if I don't always agree with him, okay so I don't agree with him on a lot, but I know he has the best of intentions when he gives me advice.

Telvis

We will be praying for your Dad. I understand the feelings you are having. I still have them some days. I have been through several body guys and my car still isn't finished. Every time I get really discouraged I start looking at all the pictures of members who's cars are finished. It gives me inspiration. I know that someday I WILL get mine finished. You will too.

bull

To make matters worse now I just talked to my body guy and the "real" estimate for body work and paint is close to $20k. I've been on a waiting list for a year and have a little more than half that amount saved up. I don't know what I'm going to do.

ChargerAndy

Curtis,
    I'm sorry to hear about your father's illness. I lost my father last June. I had not seen him in about 2 years. He had moved away about 5 years ago to a little town way upstate about 6 hours away. We were not very close, he left me and my mom when I was 12. When I got the call from my sister that he was in ICU up there I just up and left the next morning and stayed up there for what ended up being 3 days. I am glad I did because I got to make my peace with him....... I guess the best thing for me is that I was able to forgive him after all the years of expecting more from my father ...... because he wasn't the best father I could have had, but, I now understand that he did what he thought was best at the time. I do regret that he never met my newborn son or saw the Charger because after all, he owned the original that made the imprint on me. If you are able to, go to him and worry about the "relating to him" later, whatever the outcome you will have no regrets.
    Sell your car? Never dude! Short delays are acceptable!  Hang in there buddy,  Andy

ps i just read your new post...... dude, find another body guy....... i did my own sheet metal and a buddy did my paint and prep for like 5k and it is awesome.....20 is crazed...... just shop around

Lowprofile

All that matters is your Dad right now. Go and be with him. The lesson you teach your children with this one small gesture of love & respect, well, they will remember forever.

The car is a car. And yes we love our cars.  Park it & take a vacation from the Charger. It will cost you nothing to let it sit for awhile. Tend to the business at hand, and come back to your "baby" when you get your head cleared out.
My prayers are with you and your family. Take Care Bro.

BTW, Find a new body shop.....$20 G's is ridiculous!! :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

Charger Aficionado

I really wish I would've stopped-by when I was up there to hang out...  Remember why you have all the frustrations > you are resurecting a vehicle from the DEAD.  Like most of us we don't have the cash laying around to purchase a fully restored vehicle.  I am still working to pay for my car's refurbishment, and am still far off...  It takes blood sweat, and tears to re-create one of these...   
  You know the reason you scoured the country to find her...  This is one of the most beautiful vehicles ever made....  Once you have that shiny "New" Charger, you will feel 10 feet tall, when you proudly display it at a local car show, and some kid, says "what a awesome car man" (when they have imports to look at)... 
  I'm sure there are many guys here that have felt this feeling...  Keep the Faith brother...  I can't wait to see your car done! 

bull

Thanks again. My brother and I are going to fly down to Phoenix in a week or two to see mom and dad. She says he did fine yesterday but today he's not doing so good. Overall I think he's getting better but I know his days are numbered. There's too much damage to his lungs for him to ever recover fully and now they'll have to keep a constant eye on him to make sure he doesn't get pneumonia again. That's what got him in trouble this time. He can barely get enough oxygen as it is without the problems associated with pneumonia.

694spdRT

Sorry to hear about your dad's health problems. It is always hard watching a family member go through things like this. I hope everything works out for the best.

My advice on the Charger is to try and pace yourself. When more pressing issues come up like this and you start feeling bogged down just let it sit. It is not going anywhere. Restoring your Charger should be an enjoyment not a chore. I would also get another qoute as 20K seems way out of line.

Take Care.   
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

BigBlockSam

i am so Sorry to hear about your Dad Curtis. i lost my dad several yrs ago.  he was sick with several cancers for three yrs. thats a hard way to go.
  don't give up on the charger. even if you bring it home out of the bodyshop. take a brake from it. wait for better times and a clearer head. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Orange_Crush

Quote from: bull on January 24, 2006, 12:22:27 AM
Thanks again. My brother and I are going to fly down to Phoenix in a week or two to see mom and dad. She says he did fine yesterday but today he's not doing so good. Overall I think he's getting better but I know his days are numbered. There's too much damage to his lungs for him to ever recover fully and now they'll have to keep a constant eye on him to make sure he doesn't get pneumonia again. That's what got him in trouble this time. He can barely get enough oxygen as it is without the problems associated with pneumonia.

I also did some shopping around for a new body shop and talked to some of the guys I talked to before. There are a couple good possibilities, guys who can do it for around $10k like I thought it was going to be. We'll see but I think I can get it worked out. I'll keep you guys informed.

What's the current state of your car?  Is it transportable?
I ain't got time for pain, the only pain I got time for is the pain i put on fools how don't know what time it is.

bull

Quote from: Orange_Crush on January 24, 2006, 07:06:39 PM
Quote from: bull on January 24, 2006, 12:22:27 AM

What's the current state of your car?  Is it transportable?

Pretty much. There are no brakes but it's got wheels under it.

triple_green

Hi Curtis,

Sorry to hear about your Dad. I learned to love my Dad for who he is, not what he is not. All you can do is try and learn from what you didn't like about how he related to you, and do better with your girls.

BTW, you have a great wife and girls.

$20K is too much for the paint and bodywork. A guy down here in Kent did Ron Henry's for less than half of that and it looks great.

If you start losing the vision call me and we'll meet so you can thrash on 3X a little.  This thing is really about patience. BTW I'm still waiting for the insurance settlement on the 69. Has been over 2 months. So I'm at an impass too.

3X
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)