News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Orig., resto-mod, pro-tour, rotisserie, what's the perfect Charger in your book?

Started by XS29L9Bxxxxxx, December 31, 2011, 12:04:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orig., resto-mod, pro-tour, rotisserie, what's the perfect Charger in your book?

Original
21 (16%)
Resto-Mod
65 (49.6%)
Pro-Tourer
27 (20.6%)
Rotisserie Resto
14 (10.7%)
Jumped Like a General
4 (3.1%)

Total Members Voted: 131

kab69440

Quote from: autodynamics on January 03, 2012, 10:39:54 PM
15" wheels are for pussies. Who can't afford bigger wheels so they don't like them
I bet anyone of the old timers if they rode around in a car that has some suspension gear and tires they would  love it
And if they didn't they would be lying

Theres a place for 15" like on a mountain bike

If anyone re-cast the Appliance Turbo-Vec in an 18" diameter, I might be interested. Since it won't happen, I'll keep my 15". Regardless of diameter, I think the Turbo-Vec is the best looking wheel ever produced. It is unapologetically aggressive and I love it.

PS My mountain bike rolls on 29" wheels. So- phhhhhhhhhbbbbbbbbbt! :nana:
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

autodynamics

kab69440

Dubs? I suppose technically, but they're nearly "trips", right? When it comes to rocks, exposed roots, creek crossing, and downhilling- the larger your wheel diameter, the better. I assure you of that!
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

HeavyFuel

15" wheels are for pussies. Who can't afford bigger wheels so they don't like them
I bet anyone of the old timers if they rode around in a car that has some suspension gear and tires they would  love it

You crack me up.   Not.

I'm putting my original, beautiful 44 year old Magnums back on ...all 14" x 5.5" worth, right after the new paint is on.

The cars that you adore so much were designed, built, bought and preserved by "Old Timers", and now they're around for you to enjoy, so a little respect would be nice, instead of the constant bashing.

"Can't afford wheels"....ha.  Buying wagon wheels (like that's gonna happen) would be the least of my problems.   Ever tried to resto a car to original?  Big wheels come as easy as breaking out the Visa.  Try to locate something like a set of OEM brake rotors.  You can't get 'em.......I know.....I've tried.

And yeah, I do have a rotary phone in my garage.  

*edit*   I just got back from a drive around town, saw a new Chally with strobe stripes and some bigger wheels.  It did look pretty sweet.  (But that is a modern car  ;))

RallyeMike

QuoteThey do repop the mis 80s Eagle Gts in 255 60 15 . They are one of the best tires Ive ever had on a Charger.

Clearly our definitions of performance tire are in different worlds. Those GT's are fine street car tires. Not  performance tires.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

kamkuda

Its interesting how much emotion rims bring  :slap:
I doubt one opinion would convince another that their opinion is wrong.

It like more performance 
Where is the street strip charger option?

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: RallyeMike on January 04, 2012, 05:54:31 PM
QuoteThey do repop the mis 80s Eagle Gts in 255 60 15 . They are one of the best tires Ive ever had on a Charger.

Clearly our definitions of performance tire are in different worlds. Those GT's are fine street car tires. Not  performance tires.

I didnt mean that they are a formula one tire by any means. They are a pretty dang good tire that IS available to us guys who prefer the stockish look.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

AirborneSilva

I voted Resto Mod but I'd have to add that if it's an original, numbers matching 426/440 or winged car then I'd say original.

MSRacing89

Mike and Pete I love you guys!  Always trying to make the guys with 10" ride height and 14" wheels see the light!  All they would have to do is spend a weekend doing some the things with do our cars and it would either scare living sh&t out of them or make them believers.  Remember not all these guys are drivers.......they are show going, ice cream buyers.  Far cry from the vision or goals we have with our cars. 

And the whole question about "why buy an old car if all you are doing is modifying it"..........please.  That is about the dumbest thing I have ever heard.  Now I remember why I have not been back to the site in a while.
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/1203phr_1968_dodge_charger/index.html

'68 Charger 440, 11:1, ported Stealth Heads, Lunati voodoo 60304, 3.23 gear, Mulit-port EZ-EFI, Gear Vendors OD and Tallon Hydroboost.

autodynamics

Hey marty I like coming around and pester these guys
Only mopar guys are weirdly in love with stock cars
You won't find a Chevy guy or ford guy kringing at 18" wheels
It's so funny
But I bet they would be the first one to take a built car for a ride if nobody was watching
Marty send me a pic of that bar

dkn1997

I'm starting to think wheels should be put on the same list as religion and politics.   You would be hard pressed to find a topic that polarizes everyone the way wheels do. 

The OP just asked what we all thought our perfect Charger was and here we are
                                  :poke: :boxing_smiley: :spank: :fu: :2guns: :slap:

There is a place for all of it.  Nothing wrong with buying your charger with the sole purpose of autocrossing or just using it to get icecream with your kids. 
RECHRGED

472 R/T SE

Quote from: dkn1997 on January 06, 2012, 12:52:32 AM
I'm starting to think wheels should be put on the same list as religion and politics.   You would be hard pressed to find a topic that polarizes everyone the way wheels do. 

Hmmm.....

AirborneSilva

Seems like some people think only THEIR opinion is valid, we all have opinions as well as personal tastes, doesn't make mine wrong or theirs for that matter and while I don't have real deep pockets but in time I can and will build my Charger the way "I" want to build it.  If that upsets you or makes you think less of me then that is your problem and perhaps you should concern yourself more with your life and not mine  :Twocents:

Cooter

I bet anyone of the old timers if they rode around in a car that has some suspension gear and tires they would  love it

Theres a place for 15" like on a mountain bike

"Old Timers"? Don't really consider myself an old timer aat 39, but FYI, I could buy 6 sets of those wheels like is on your ride if that's indeed it in your avatar. I just think there's no need to for them. If the freakin' brakes won't fit the car, leave 'em on the shelf. No need to go with 20" wheels..Your making the car fit the parts, not the parts fit the car.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

autodynamics

Looks like resto-mod is in the lead ,
Funny how the stockers have the biggest voices though even when they poll the least amount.

From my personal experience I have had mopar guys tell me "beautiful car " but you ruined it.
I'm just sick of that "guy" the guy who collects rusted bolts who will never finish his car but lets you know an opinion about your ride

My opinions are directed to those guys

And god forbid you see a mopar with a Chevy big block or a Chevy Trans

Theres just a lot of sleep walkers around

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: autodynamics on January 06, 2012, 08:01:50 AM
Looks like resto-mod is in the lead ,
Funny how the stockers have the biggest voices though even when they poll the least amount.

From my personal experience I have had mopar guys tell me "beautiful car " but you ruined it.
I'm just sick of that "guy" the guy who collects rusted bolts who will never finish his car but lets you know an opinion about your ride

My opinions are directed to those guys

I would put your car in the pro tourer catagory. To me a resto mod still looks Stockish with upgrades. Pro tourer to me is more of a no boundries build. Your definition may be different all together.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

kab69440

God forbid indeed. And well he should.

WANT TO BUY:

Thank you,    Kenny

autodynamics

AirborneSilva

Quote from: kab69440 on January 06, 2012, 08:12:22 AM

God forbid indeed. And well he should.

:icon_smile_big: :2thumbs:

HeavyFuel

Quote from: autodynamics on January 05, 2012, 11:24:28 PM
Hey marty I like coming around and pester these guys
Only mopar guys are weirdly in love with stock cars
You won't find a Chevy guy or ford guy kringing at 18" wheels
It's so funny
But I bet they would be the first one to take a built car for a ride if nobody was watching
Marty send me a pic of that bar

By the looks of it, you don't consider yourself 'one of us'.........not a 'Mopar Guy'.  You come to the site just to  :stirthepot:

Classy.  

NYCMille

nvrbdn

:smilielol: :smilielol: thats funny. but the thing is its not all in the wheels that makes a car handle. pro touring, resto whatever. there are cars with 15" wheels that can track and run right along. i can do all the suspension thing and make my car handle well without looking like i belong in the circus. ive stated that i enjoy looking at the young guns stuff and admire their work, its just not for me. but it seems the pro touring guys want to keep a line drawn in the sand.  :shruggy:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

kab69440

Quote from: NYCMille on January 06, 2012, 11:37:33 AM
That's it! I'm putting an LS7 in the Charger...

Glad to hear it, man! Hey, uhhhhh...  Since you won't be needing that tired old boat anchor that's in the car now... I could ummmm remove it from your sight for minimal cost, so you could ummmmm, have more room- of course. Cause you don't wanna be tripping over it all the time, you know? Talk to me, I'm here to help!

WANT TO BUY:

Thank you,    Kenny

autodynamics

Now  I gotta chime in here.
We "pro touring guys" aren't drawing any lines we simply state that the older crowd is in love and not open minded to ANYTHING OTHER ORIGINAL MOPAR STUFF
That's where we get frustrated
There is no way cordobra brakes are better than what's available today
Period
You can love 15" wheels all you want but trust me you will not keep up with us "young guns " with 17" or 18" wheels
I don't understand how the mopar world is so reluctant to try anything other than mopar stuff
You guys want praise for having disc brakes and a sway bar
The car industry has come leaps and bounds since then
So all we ask is to be open minded and not bash us for liking what's available in today's market
Stock 14" has a place but for me it's not a a big b body maybe a Austin mini

kab69440

Taste is always subjective. Admittedly, I think the large rims look out of sorts on muscle cars, but I don't bash anyone else for their decisions. I for one believe I have demonstrated beyond any shadow of doubt that there is nothing I won't do to my car to achieve a desired result. I know there are members who dislike more than a few of my "great ideas" and see it as heresy that I have "butchered" a '69 Charger. I also know a few members who like the car and wish to see it functional again.
    There may be better options than my C- barge disks, Scarebird rears, ancient add-on anti-sway bars. But all that costs money and I am doing the best I can within the means I have available to me.
   I would be rockin' that XV chassis stiffening kit if I had the funds to purchase it. Monster mill (Mopar based, of course) I'd drop one in later this afternoon if I could. I'm not going to a coil spring front end, nor a 4-link rear. I'll keep my 833 over a newer T-56. There's just something "wrong" about it all in my mind. But again, I don't curse people who do it, and wish them the best of luck with their respective builds.
    I only wish I had the capital to hit the road and cruise with them.

WANT TO BUY:

Thank you,    Kenny