News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Orig., resto-mod, pro-tour, rotisserie, what's the perfect Charger in your book?

Started by XS29L9Bxxxxxx, December 31, 2011, 12:04:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orig., resto-mod, pro-tour, rotisserie, what's the perfect Charger in your book?

Original
21 (16%)
Resto-Mod
65 (49.6%)
Pro-Tourer
27 (20.6%)
Rotisserie Resto
14 (10.7%)
Jumped Like a General
4 (3.1%)

Total Members Voted: 131

Vainglory, Esq.

Kern Dog

XS29L9B2

dodge charger 440 R/T match
dodge charger 70 projet daytona

NYCMille

Here's a quick and simple recipe to enhance any 68-70 Charger - do this and you've got a car that rides and handles night and day compared to anything stock. Yes these parts cost money, as does EVERYTHING we do with these cars, so don't bitch and moan about price. Also, regardless of how well you think your stock car handles let me just say you are completely wrong... it's awful.

1. A nice set of sway-bars front and rear - Hotchkis, Addco, Helwig... any will do, just make sure you don't go too big in the rear.
2. Shocks - for a nice daily driver shock the Edelbrock IAS performers are the best out there for money and KYB's suck butt. For a performance shock go with RideTech single or triple adjustables.
3. Bigger Torsion bars - I'd go .96 for a street car
4. Stiffen that sucker up - at a minimum do subframe connectors, for better handling use XV's full chassis stiffening kit
5. Install a Firm Feel stage III steering box, as well as the fast ratio idler and pitman arms - this makes a world of difference.
6. Tubular upper control arms to adjust castor and camber. Firm Feel, Hotchkis, Magnum Force... etc.
7. Brakes - use a GOOD 4-wheel disc brake - this is big, so DO YOUR RESEARCH
8. Wheels and Tires - if you like 14 or 15-inch wheels then have fun staying in the stone age. Your tire selection sucks and you won't be able to fit any kind of real brake caliper behind those wheels. Upgrade to 17-inch or bigger. Do this and your contact footprint as well as your tire selection improves greatly.
9. OVERDRIVE - cruising at 70 mph at 4000 rpms with 4.10 gears is ridiculous especially when you consider an $8 Hyundai will crush you in a top speed run - just do this and be happy.

Otherwise that's it - hope this helps.

gtx6970

To own, Stock but driveable.

BUT, I like and can appreciate them in all kinds of flavors or tastes

HeavyFuel

Kinda depends on what you start with.  

A nice mostly original car probably deserves to stay that way.   Some high pedigree car thats rough should get rotisseried.   A butchered rusted basket case is a perfect candidate for just about anything.

1970Moparmann

Quote from: HeavyFuel on January 03, 2012, 12:04:47 PM

Agree.  I also think it depends on your intention is?  If it is to keep the car, do what you please.   I'm lucky to have both cases - original, plus a resto mod.   My original car 70 RT is awesome, bring it out for a few miles a year.    My 68 was built to drive the pants off of it.   My original car has manual everything, by 68 has upgraded everything.  Stops on a dime with the brakes, runs low RPMs on the highway with the 5 speed, and on and on.  Stroked a 400 to 550 hp.   This car is by far the BEST Charger I ever owned.   I do have most of the original parts to put it back to original in the future. :2thumbs:  I don't have the engine, but am working on getting it back....... :2thumbs:

My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

NYCMille

Keep in mind that everything I've put on that list with the exception of the chassie stiffening, are 100% bolt-on's... you wouldn't be modifying anything that you couldn't return to stock.

1970Moparmann

Quote from: NYCMille on January 03, 2012, 12:48:44 PM
Keep in mind that everything I've put on that list with the exception of the chassie stiffening, are 100% bolt-on's... you wouldn't be modifying anything that you couldn't return to stock.

For the record, many members on the site, including Mike, helped me make my decision for my 68 Charger.   I cannot be happier with the end result!   :2thumbs: :2thumbs:    Driving a big B Body hasn't been as much fun until now. :cheers:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

elanmars

Quote from: NYCMille on January 03, 2012, 11:18:24 AM
Here's a quick and simple recipe to enhance any 68-70 Charger - do this and you've got a car that rides and handles night and day compared to anything stock. Yes these parts cost money, as does EVERYTHING we do with these cars, so don't bitch and moan about price. Also, regardless of how well you think your stock car handles let me just say you are completely wrong... it's awful.

1. A nice set of sway-bars front and rear - Hotchkis, Addco, Helwig... any will do, just make sure you don't go too big in the rear.
2. Shocks - for a nice daily driver shock the Edelbrock IAS performers are the best out there for money and KYB's suck butt. For a performance shock go with RideTech single or triple adjustables.
3. Bigger Torsion bars - I'd go .96 for a street car
4. Stiffen that sucker up - at a minimum do subframe connectors, for better handling use XV's full chassis stiffening kit
5. Install a Firm Feel stage III steering box, as well as the fast ratio idler and pitman arms - this makes a world of difference.
6. Tubular upper control arms to adjust castor and camber. Firm Feel, Hotchkis, Magnum Force... etc.
7. Brakes - use a GOOD 4-wheel disc brake - this is big, so DO YOUR RESEARCH
8. Wheels and Tires - if you like 14 or 15-inch wheels then have fun staying in the stone age. Your tire selection sucks and you won't be able to fit any kind of real brake caliper behind those wheels. Upgrade to 17-inch or bigger. Do this and your contact footprint as well as your tire selection improves greatly.
9. OVERDRIVE - cruising at 70 mph at 4000 rpms with 4.10 gears is ridiculous especially when you consider an $8 Hyundai will crush you in a top speed run - just do this and be happy.

Otherwise that's it - hope this helps.

whoah dude, this is awesome!!! thanks a bunch, I appreciate that. Gives me a to-do list for my next car for sure, which I've been looking for since the day of my '69 being destroyed.
1969 Dodge Charger, pseudo General Lee., 1973 ratty Dodge Charger.

check out my photography: http://www.tomasraul.com
instagram: tomasraul
facebook: www.facebook.com/tomasraulphotography

404NOTFOUND

Regarding the list above, I'm sure it all makes the car drive much better but, I have to wonder why you would want a vintage car at all in that case. Why not just buy a new Challenger? Personally, I think large wheels and rubberband tires ruin the look of any 60s/70s musclecar. I think they look better with 14/15" wheels and meaty tires. To each his own though. I'm sure there are many here who would agree and disagree. The only thing in that list I would do is go for the Firm Feel steering box because stock Mopar power steering is just ridiculous to the point of being dangerous. At least the ones I've tried are.
My 1969 Charger. RIP......Rest in pieces.

NYCMille

The "why" to your question is simple... it's a '68 Charger, a car that in my opinion is one of the best looking and meanest machines ever built by any manufacturer anywhere. As for modern stuff, sure it's good, but it in no way compares to the driving experience of rolling up to an event in vintage iron. For the record my daily driver is a Dodge Magnum SRT8 - a great car no doubt, also keep in mind that I'm an automotive journalist and track instructor who's driven everything from $750,000 Gumpert Apollo's to Porsche GT3 RS's... Point is, nothing and I mean nothing would ever replace the '68 Charger that sits in my garage for sheer driving pleasure and a visceral thrill. 

That car is like crack for the eyeballs...  :2thumbs:

Budnicks

Quote from: kokxville on January 02, 2012, 09:14:01 AM
I really like thisone  :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:

That's NFL's  :hah: Cornerback, Deangelo Hall's 69 R/T Charger, seen on the Hot Rod Power Tour with his young son... Sweet ride  :2thumbs:
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

Budnicks

Quote from: NYCMille on January 03, 2012, 05:56:30 PM
The "why" to your question is simple... it's a '68 Charger, a car that in my opinion is one of the best looking and meanest machines ever built by any manufacturer anywhere. As for modern stuff, sure it's good, but it in no way compares to the driving experience of rolling up to an event in vintage iron. For the record my daily driver is a Dodge Magnum SRT8 - a great car no doubt, also keep in mind that I'm an automotive journalist and track instructor who's driven everything from $750,000 Gumpert Apollo's to Porsche GT3 RS's... Point is, nothing and I mean nothing would ever replace the '68 Charger that sits in my garage for sheer driving pleasure and a visceral thrill. 

That car is like crack for the eyeballs...  :2thumbs:
Sweet ride there...

Budnicks

It's not a Charger but it's a B-Body... I have done some mods on my 68 RR very much like NYCMille said, some different companies... Caps Automotive Products tubular adjustable upper & lower control arms, Caps Dynamic adj. Strut rods, Summit Racing {I think made by ADDCO} 1-3/8" front & 1" rear sway-bars w/poly bushings, Eddy IAS gas shocks on all 4 corners, SSBC front 4 piston disc brake conversion {no rears disc's yet}, Just Suspension 1" torsion bars, Unisteer bolt on Rack & Pinion power rack pump & box kit, purchased from Year One 5+ years ago or so {I wouldn't recommend the rack & pinion to everyone, it really limits your choice of oil pans & header choices to just TTI's}, a set of bolt in Mopar Performance sub-frame connectors & MP battery relocation kit to the passenger side rear trunk, Pro Aluminum Products Bolt-in drive line safety loop, unfortunately an auto 727 with MP 175k+3800 custom stall & Turbo-Action Pro Street manual valve-body w/rear band apply style for very streetable up & down shifts, 3.73:1 Richmond 8-3/4" gear, Mancini Racing 3-1/2" 2790 aluminum drive line, with a 383/479ci 6bbl 600+hp full roller stroker, Aluminum Ported Edelbrock heads, MRE aluminum 22" down flow 4 core radiator, MP aluminum water pump housing, dual Be-Cool 4200+cfm electric fans & ProComp 37gph electric water pump & MP 6bbl intake etc. {trying to lighten up the whole car & as much as possible, with out cutting}, Scat/ProCar Elite Black Leather buckets w/adj head rests, Unlimited Products fiberglass, front & rear bumpers & custom aluminum bumper brackets {to be installed still}, Year One 69-1/2 A12 reproduction 6bbl lift off fiberglass hood, & much much more, the car is very much still a work in progress but test drives have been a riot, it handles like it's on rails, way better than any from MaMopar.... Every thing that has been done can be un-bolted & put back to stock components of necessary... I live in the Sierras so I want my cars to Handle as well as Go like Hell in a Straight line, Halibrand polished slots with knock-offs with 15x7" w/P245/60s up front, with 15x8.5" w/P295/50s T/A's out back... I like the stance & look, I know there are better performance tires & wheel combos, but these will do just fine for now, I do have drag radials & some Comp T/A's also...  I think I will lower the front "just a little" after I get all parts installed completely, for the true ride height... good luck with your builds guys

UH60L

I'll throw my 2 cents in on the wheel size discussion....

I don't care how much better they perform, a charger (or any muscle car/pony car) just never looks right with 4000000 inch wheels and .000005 inch tall tires.  Never has, never will.

Will you out run me with them?  Maybe.  Will you out turn me with them?  Most likely.  Will my car still look better everywhere I drive it?  Yup.   

I can live with not owning the fastest car.  I can live with not owning the best turning car. 

Appearantly some people can't.  My wallet thanks me that I can.....

dkn1997

Quote from: UH60L on January 03, 2012, 08:21:12 PM
I'll throw my 2 cents in on the wheel size discussion....

I don't care how much better they perform, a charger (or any muscle car/pony car) just never looks right with 4000000 inch wheels and .000005 inch tall tires.  Never has, never will.

Will you out run me with them?  Maybe.  Will you out turn me with them?  Most likely.  Will my car still look better everywhere I drive it?  Yup.   

I can live with not owning the fastest car.  I can live with not owning the best turning car. 

Appearantly some people can't.  My wallet thanks me that I can.....

Ironically, growing up in the late 70's and early 80's I feel the same way about chargers and any muscle or pony cars with stock diameter wheels/stock size tires.  It had as much to do with a sense of proportion as with my like/dislike of the actual style of the wheels.  Stock size wheels simply DON'T fill the huge wheel wells of these cars.  I always thought they looked like a hippo on roller blades. and yes, I was way ahead of my time because roller blades weren't invented yet.

And I doubt that Everyone puts the larger diameter wheels on the old cars because they have to have the best handling car.  A lot of it is motivated by the looks.   Hell, I would love my Charger to be a canyon carver, and I'll get there...but if you went in my garage you would see my rear brake drums between the spokes of my 18's lol.  Yeah, I should have built up the suspension completely first (I already installed uscartool weld in subframe connectors, firmfeel stage 2 box) but I couldn't help myself. 

also, not all of us who stray from stock have ".000005" tall tires  :eek:  :cheers:

RECHRGED

bill440rt

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on January 03, 2012, 12:25:11 PM
Quote from: HeavyFuel on January 03, 2012, 12:04:47 PM

Agree.  I also think it depends on your intention is?  If it is to keep the car, do what you please.   I'm lucky to have both cases - original, plus a resto mod.   My original car 70 RT is awesome, bring it out for a few miles a year.    My 68 was built to drive the pants off of it.

Me three.  :iagree:

Budnicks, your car sounds awesome.  :cheers:

Same boat as 1970Moparmann.
This past year I've really leaned towards enjoying my '69 the most due to the upgrades towards driveability.
Several upgrades that have been mentioned show a drastic improvement: sway bars & disc brakes, especially with the Hydroboost. Damn, that's an awesome gadget. The OD trans combined with the 3:91's make both off the line & highway driving incredible. I didn't go with tubular control arms, but rebuilt the suspension with all poly bushings. I did use aluminum strut rods & tie rod sleeves with the larger steering ends. A Stage 2 steering box was another great upgrade. Really improved road feel. Albeit the car has KYB's, but so far I don't dislike them. Maybe it'll see Eddy's down the road someday.
Going from my '68, which formerly had DRUM brakes all around with stock steering, etc, was like a totally different car. It prompted a brake swap in that car as well, M.P. stock type though. And a Stage 2 box. I don't want to install larger wheels, though. I'd like to get a set of 15" radial redlines for that car with Magnums, can't use the 14"s anymore due to the brakes.

But, I STILL like stock cars, too. Perhaps better. Maybe.
Too many tough decisions. I like 'em all!!  :drool5: :drool5:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Rolling_Thunder

I think putting large wheels on a car for the "look" is stupid...    now...    that being said - If you NEED the larger wheels to allow for something like bigger brakes - then I support them...    Functionality...        

Just for the sake of argument to the 15" or nothing crowd - what would you rather see: a 1969 Charger with 18" wheels and massive brakes - or a 1969 Charger with 15" 100 spoke rims on it ?     I'm just saying - there are bad decisions everywhere - shouldnt be limited to a size...      If people don't like the 18" wheel look I can understand - I am a fan of 15" wheels - love how they look on my car - but with the brakes I am running - need 18" wheels as a minimum...    

Lets just putting this out there  

Some people cruise their car (15") and some people push their cars harder (18") ---  as you can see - one requires more inches than the other    :D
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

autodynamics

15" wheels are for pussies. Who can't afford bigger wheels so they don't like them
I bet anyone of the old timers if they rode around in a car that has some suspension gear and tires they would  love it
And if they didn't they would be lying

Theres a place for 15" like on a mountain bike

RallyeMike

Quote15" wheels are for pussies.

Geez. No lack of opinion there!.... but you don't have to have tall rims to make a car handle. If you don't believe it, ask a "pussy" stock car driver 

The real factor with 15" rims is there are virtually no DOT speed-rated performance handling tires made to fit a big ol' Charger. You have to move up to at least 16" to find anything at all, and even at 16" selection is extremely limited. So the old timers are stuck with your 17"+ pimp wheels.   :nana:

As for the ultimate Charger: A rough-around-the-edges stripped down car modified as detailed by NYMille is as fine as they come.

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Budnicks

Quote from: RallyeMike on January 03, 2012, 11:50:30 PM
Quote15" wheels are for pussies.

Geez. No lack of opinion there!.... but you don't have to have tall rims to make a car handle. If you don't believe it, ask a "pussy" stock car driver 

The real factor with 15" rims is there are virtually no DOT speed-rated performance handling tires made to fit a big ol' Charger. You have to move up to at least 16" to find anything at all, and even at 16" selection is extremely limited. So the old timers are stuck with your 17"+ pimp wheels.   :nana:

As for the ultimate Charger: A rough-around-the-edges stripped down car modified as detailed by NYMille is as fine as they come.

Very well said mike....

Charger-Bodie

They do repop the mis 80s Eagle Gts in 255 60 15 . They are one of the best tires Ive ever had on a Charger.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Dino

There's absolutely nothing wrong with a 15" wheel.  It's the high sidewall skinny tires that makes these cars handle like sailboats.  For a good cruiser/daily driver, a 7 or 8" wide rim with 255 or wider tires will handle more than adequately.  If you want to race the car then by all means modernise as much as you can, including adding larger wheels.

Altough some are just plain ridiculous, there are plenty Charger's out there with bigger wheels I like.  Personally I like the look of 15" steelies with dog dish caps or a nice road wheel and wide tires, and I know there's plenty that feel the same, nothing wrong with that.

Apart from the 215 tires on my 14" rims and the super loose steering, my car drives just fine.  I'll upgrade it to wide 15" rims with disc brakes up front, Edelbrock IAS shocks and will install my rear sway bar, beefy front sway bar is on.  Firm feel stage 2 or 3 should make it feel a bit more 'on the road'.

When all is said and done it should be more than a fun drive.  If I ever see 17" wheels I really like then I might get those and upgrade the brakes once more.  As stated, it's just a bolt on.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

tan top

like  original unrestored  or stock original  restorations  :coolgleamA:  :drool5:
over restored rotisserie type  rebuilds  are awesome too  :drool5:
resto mods are awesome   :coolgleamA: :2thumbs: :drool5:
pro -touring   ,  awesome machines :yesnod:  :drool5:
,  i'm not a fan of anything bigger than 15 inch wheels on a charger ( i'm stuck in a different time ,  15 inch wheels look soo right  :Twocents: , but  got to move with the times  ,  high speed rated 15 inch tires are limited ,  some of the 16 /17 & 18 inch wheels  look really good .  :yesnod: :coolgleamA: :2thumbs:
  even  GL chargers are awesome  , & can appreciate them & love looking & reading about them as much as their owners  :2thumbs: :coolgleamA:
can appreciate all type of mods done to chargers , but not when roofs or the body cut up  , so anything that  can't be reversed  easy  :Twocents:

who voted for jumped like a general  :scratchchin:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html