News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Triple Black 68 Hemi Charger WIW ?

Started by mopar4ya, December 29, 2011, 09:58:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tilar

OMG, Is there an emote for a blue vein throbber??  cause I would have to click on it right now?  :rofl:

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on December 30, 2011, 11:03:51 AM
Id say 50k as it sits

I'd say you're on track with that one. Maybe a bit on the low side.  Wow what a find!  :cheers:
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

68X426

Quote from: mopar4ya on December 30, 2011, 07:51:07 AM
Quote from: 68X426 on December 30, 2011, 01:08:15 AM
40 low, 70 high (in this market) but ......
The floor of that garage looks like flood residue, I'm guessing that Charger was under water for a while. So in that case, 25 to 35. :popcrn:

The car was never in a flood. The shed it is in had block walls,dirt floors, and open at the rear of the car with just a tarp covering the opening. Not good conditions at all. The car has been there for well over 30 years. I was really surprised how little rust there was. No holes, no thin spots, just surface rust.
  Dan :cheers:

The reason I brought up flooding is because in pictures #1 and #6, the tires are clearly not flat and there is an equally clear four to six inches of dirt hiding the tire, nearly touching the rims. First look it would appear to be "flood mud". I believe you when you say there was no water and it's an exposed dirt floor, meaning the car sunk into the ground over all those years. If anything, the sinking process sort of preserved the tires.

I'll stick with a range of 40k to 70k, and if I were selling I think I'd be happy to close a deal at 50k (as is). Of course you'll be telling the seller that your friends and experts all said 10k tops. :D

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

buckeyecharger

WOW!!! I couldn't agree more. Get it highly detailed, every inch of it. Put the original block back in it and drive as is. IMHO, it's worth more that way than restored. Keep the original paint. I would love to see this car under the survivors tent at the Nats!

Mikesmoparperformance

WOW!! Awesome find! Are the seat covers still original?
MOPAR OR NO CAR

1966 Dodge Charger 383 CI

mopar4ya

Quote from: Mikesmoparperformance on December 30, 2011, 04:31:57 PM
WOW!! Awesome find! Are the seat covers still original?

Yes,I believe they were put on when the car was new. They look like they were made to fit. From what I could see, the seats looked like new.

Dan.

StoneCold

Just curious, what wheel covers did this come with originally?

charger Downunder

Wow i wish i could find one of those barns its amazing what keeps popping up. :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
[/quote]

mopar4ya

Quote from: StoneCold on December 30, 2011, 05:35:30 PM
Just curious, what wheel covers did this come with originally?

I can't say. Ever since I have known the car he had slots on it. 

charge69

If the buildsheet is indeed still with the car, it will have the wheelcovers and wheels it came with on there.  Have someone check behind the rear seatback in the springs for it but, there are numerous places it could be. Behind the rear seatback is usually where one of the buildsheets ended up but not the only place to look.

One copy of mine was there and another copy was under the original carpet kinda stuck in the sprayed-in undercoating used for insulation on my specific car by the factory. Not much was used but the copy of the buildsheet was indeed stuck there. It was under the front passenger foot area a little forward or actually on the lower part of the inner firewall as I remember. It took both of mine to make one good readable copy but it is for my car.

The one with undercoating on it was just soaked in a parts washer for about an hour and then carefully brushed until it was clean and then laid out to air dry.

xs29j8Bullitt

Most excellent find Dan... BUY IT!...  Or let me get it to make a pair!  :D

I have searched for true Triple Black 1968 Hemi Chargers for over 30 years, only finding two others in addition to my car.  Of the two dozen cars that I have  tracked down, most were exterior color changes... a couple had different color interiors.  I still believe there were likely 20-25 built, and at least half probably still exist... maybe in barns.

Based on popularity & rarity, and assuming it has a broadcast sheet, I would say $65K on the low side & $100K on the high side... as it sits with the original block included.

BTW, guess where my Triple Black came from in 1971...

(The NFS markings are there to make the pics harder to use in a phony eBay auction...)
After 8 years of downsizing, whats left...
1968 Charger R/T, Automatic, 426 Hemi
1968 Polara 4Dr Sdn, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1968 Polara 4Dr HT, Automatic, 383
1969 Charger 500, 4 Speed, 440 Magnum
1969 Daytona, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1969 Road Runner, 4 Speed, 426 Hemi
1970 `Cuda, Automatic, 440-6BBL
1970 Challenger T/A, Automatic, 340 6 Pack
2004 Ram, Automatic, 5.7L Hemi
2009 Challenger SRT8, Automatic, 6.1L Hemi
<This Space Reserved for a 2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat, 8Sp Automatic,

Davtona

Allen, Is yours a stripe delete car? I've never noticed a stripe on yours in all the pictures I've seen of it.

xs29j8Bullitt

Quote from: Davtona on December 30, 2011, 11:09:47 PM
Allen, Is yours a stripe delete car? I've never noticed a stripe on yours in all the pictures I've seen of it.

Yes, the "319" code is "Transverse Stripe Delete".

Thanks for the heads-up about this thread Dave!  :cheers:

charger01

Awesome find.  Who has it loaded up on the trailer?  They got someone to buy it I assume?

XS29L9B2

congratulation there is very nice and with small rousty  :2thumbs:
dodge charger 440 R/T match
dodge charger 70 projet daytona

Darkman

That car isn't worth a cracker. To make sure, I will import it to my 25 x 60 foot garage and have it closely inspected

That would be the buy of the millennium!
Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

69 OUR/TEA

Not trying to sound negative about this car as it sure is rare and these don't come around that often and I love black chargers,but WOW,some of you are throwing out some pretty stout numbers for an estimated current value!!!!!
I mean,you are not seeing very many pictures of it,eng bay,grill,bottom,trunk floor,dash.I can tell by the few pics it is NOT going to be a survivor worthy of displaying as such,or at least I would'nt.Already rusting around back window,normal.What about under the vinyl top?This is a awesome solid looking rare piece, candidate for a full blown rotiss resto.
It is not 05,06, 07 anymore, that was a time that should not ever have happened and is one of the problems our country is in the state it is in,real estate went way up,banks loaned out way to much money, people took the equity and went running to BJ,Mecum,Russo,etc and way overspent on collector cars.What goes up must come down.You get your house appraised latey compared to those years?
IMO,this car fully rotissed is maybe a barely breaking six figure car,maybe alittle more if it were airing Saturday at BJ,the bidders had their  drinks kept coming,and they're getting some airtime on their purchase.The way it sits,looks like,to me,a $35k-40k car,and if you had to have it maybe alittle more,which for the owner is a way huge profit as to what he had probably paid back in the day, done and invested in to this car.
xs29j8Bullit's number is way strong,might be that he is partial to them as he said.Mopar4ya,don't know if you
   are trying to buy it or are going to be the one help selling,if you are looking to buy,don't tell the guy that!!!!If you want to sell, xs29j8Bullit is your best opportunity to get that number if he were to be serious,and his best chance to get another one.
  Don't think my comment is hating toward the Mopars,namely Chargers,I'm just trying to be realistic.All of you that work for a living ,how much did your salary/hourly rate go up since early 2000's?Willing to bet that it did'nt go up as much to match the increase as houses,gas,food,etc and the musclecars.
You can't use the term they're not making them anymore,all the ones that were around in 2000 are still here,not many have been crushed or parted from that point,in fact more now than ever are getting restored thanks to the help of all the new repo parts that were not available back when.You can pretty much get anything now,so more get saved instead of scrapped. :Twocents:

xs29j8Bullitt

Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on December 31, 2011, 09:32:46 AM

IMO,this car fully rotissed is maybe a barely breaking six figure car,maybe alittle more if it were airing Saturday at BJ,the bidders had their  drinks kept coming,and they're getting some airtime on their purchase.The way it sits,looks like,to me,a $35k-40k car,and if you had to have it maybe alittle more,which for the owner is a way huge profit as to what he had probably paid back in the day, done and invested in to this car.
xs29j8Bullit's number is way strong,might be that he is partial to them as he said.Mopar4ya,don't know if you
   are trying to buy it or are going to be the one help selling,if you are looking to buy,don't tell the guy that!!!!If you want to sell, xs29j8Bullit is your best opportunity to get that number if he were to be serious,and his best chance to get another one.

I agree that it is not survivor grade... my estimates assumed restoration would be required.  As with virtually all current restorations, the owner would probably be "upside down" on it's value when the car was completed.

As for whether I am serious, I will make an offer of $50,000 USD for the car as pictured, provided the following conditions are met:

1) The car is as described it the original post
2) The car is delivered with the running engine AND the original block (both blocks come with the car)
3) Both the fender tag & the broadcast sheet come with car, and are in good readable condition

Alternately, I would trade cars & parts worth $50K-$60K for the car... think I am bluffing?... lets find out!

Allen
xs29j8@charter.net

hemi68charger

Quote from: xs29j8Bullitt on December 31, 2011, 10:34:40 AM
.. think I am bluffing?... lets find out!

Drum roll please............  :icon_smile_big:

Troy-trade !!!  Troy-trade !!! party time, excellent !!!!

or alternatively

Allen's-world !!! Allen's-world !!!!  party time, excellent !!!

Wayne's World youtube
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

XS29LA47V21

Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on December 31, 2011, 09:32:46 AM
Not trying to sound negative about this car as it sure is rare and these don't come around that often and I love black chargers,but WOW,some of you are throwing out some pretty stout numbers for an estimated current value!!!!!
I mean,you are not seeing very many pictures of it,eng bay,grill,bottom,trunk floor,dash.I can tell by the few pics it is NOT going to be a survivor worthy of displaying as such,or at least I would'nt.Already rusting around back window,normal.What about under the vinyl top?This is a awesome solid looking rare piece, candidate for a full blown rotiss resto.
It is not 05,06, 07 anymore, that was a time that should not ever have happened and is one of the problems our country is in the state it is in,real estate went way up,banks loaned out way to much money, people took the equity and went running to BJ,Mecum,Russo,etc and way overspent on collector cars.What goes up must come down.You get your house appraised latey compared to those years?
IMO,this car fully rotissed is maybe a barely breaking six figure car,maybe alittle more if it were airing Saturday at BJ,the bidders had their  drinks kept coming,and they're getting some airtime on their purchase.The way it sits,looks like,to me,a $35k-40k car,and if you had to have it maybe alittle more,which for the owner is a way huge profit as to what he had probably paid back in the day, done and invested in to this car.
 Don't think my comment is hating toward the Mopars,namely Chargers,I'm just trying to be realistic.All of you that work for a living ,how much did your salary/hourly rate go up since early 2000's?Willing to bet that it did'nt go up as much to match the increase as houses,gas,food,etc and the musclecars.
You can't use the term they're not making them anymore,all the ones that were around in 2000 are still here,not many have been crushed or parted from that point,in fact more now than ever are getting restored thanks to the help of all the new repo parts that were not available back when.You can pretty much get anything now,so more get saved instead of scrapped. :Twocents:

:lol: :lol: I agree &
I like it also (& interested) but......  Frankly I think my recent cash purchase is close enough to be a comp on this car & condition easily in my opinion, if we are in the realestate or car market, most of you know what I gave on ebay market as "proved" dollars paid.  Trade vs dollars are similar, but not the same I would note in my opinion.  I think the variable here is on this level car, how much someone wants it by options, like my black 500 (J Leno would have won, I intended to buy it, no one really tested me and I found my holly Grail I had been looking for a long time).  In other words, this car or my 500 frankly... if it was was gold or any green.... I would pass at 10k all day long, but someone else may really love gold and paid much more for what they want, which is good.  In truly original paint (black), fender tag, clean title, it would sure seem similar numbers to my car or this real black red stripe Hemi car to my thoughts could find a very specific buyer compared to some low option rough Daytona buyers .... maybe and I say ......maybe.  Do not get me wrong, I still want a Daytona like the next guy  :shruggy: :Twocents: but I like this car better if I was spending my money above most color/option rough Daytonas, just what I like in the hobby.  

On your specific question, respectfully ..are you asking WIW for you to flip or for you, those are two separate questions and numbers.......because the second part of that question is for you to decide. :2thumbs:     My comments apply to more the second question in conditions of hobby wasting spending money, not borrowed and irregardless of the economy :popcrn: :Twocents:.............I like it, you should buy it if you like it, is what I tell my Friends when we talk each other into cars we do not need, what are Friends are for. :lol: :lol: :lol:  :slap: :icon_smile_big:  PM me if you get it to sell, thanks.

Tilar

As for whether I am serious, I will make an offer of $50,000 USD for the car as pictured, provided the following conditions are met:...

Now everyone knows what its worth.
Dave  

rarefish

Being a owner of a unrestored "survivor" 68 Charger R/T, I think that every attempt should be made, not restore this car. I would do just a careful cleaning and I think this car would be very presentable. I was fully planning on detailing my car when I first bought it, but listen to a few people who told me not to and now I'm so glad I did not touch it.

mopar4ya

Quote from: charger01 on December 31, 2011, 12:55:28 AM
Awesome find.  Who has it loaded up on the trailer?  They got someone to buy it I assume?

No, the car wasn't sold. I moved it about 2 years ago for the fellow taking care of things. The car was sitting a couple hundred feet off of a main road with the ass end exposed. The fellow that owns it is in jail, so nobody around. I convinced the fellow taking care of things to let me move the car to a safe place, before it was vandalizes or stolen. For the people that think I want it to flip, your wrong . I would sell off a couple of my other cars to be able to keep this car. Hell, I've dogged it for almost 30 years. Will it happen, I don't know. Only time will tell. Like I have said above, I am just trying to get a feel of a FAIR value to make him an offer. I think it may be getting closer for something to have to happen with the car, as he has to be running thin on funds.  

The other thing that make it hard to make a fair offer, is the fact that there have been numbers throwed at this car from 30k to 70k. That's a huge spread. 

rarefish

Quote from: mopar4ya on January 01, 2012, 03:26:08 PM
Quote from: charger01 on December 31, 2011, 12:55:28 AM
Awesome find.  Who has it loaded up on the trailer?  They got someone to buy it I assume?

No, the car wasn't sold. I moved it about 2 years ago for the fellow taking care of things. The car was sitting a couple hundred feet off of a main road with the ass end exposed. The fellow that owns it is in jail, so nobody around. I convinced the fellow taking care of things to let me move the car to a safe place, before it was vandalizes or stolen. For the people that think I want it to flip, your wrong . I would sell off a couple of my other cars to be able to keep this car. Hell, I've dogged it for almost 30 years. Will it happen, I don't know. Only time will tell. Like I have said above, I am just trying to get a feel of a FAIR value to make him an offer. I think it may be getting closer for something to have to happen with the car, as he has to be running thin on funds.  

After watching this car for 30 years, I just hope you are the one to gets to buy it....Good Luck!

Tilar

:iagree: :yesnod:   

Quote from: mopar4ya on January 01, 2012, 03:26:08 PM
The other thing that make it hard to make a fair offer, is the fact that there have been numbers throwed at this car from 30k to 70k. That's a huge spread. 

Just make an offer that you feel comfortable with.
Dave  

maxwellwedge

Quote from: hemi68charger on December 31, 2011, 07:54:50 PM
.. think I am bluffing?... lets find out!

Drum roll please............  :icon_smile_big:

Troy-trade !!!  Troy-trade !!! party time, excellent !!!!

or alternatively

Allen's-world !!! Allen's-world !!!!  party time, excellent !!!

Wayne's World youtube

Hey DB   -  I asked first!   :slap:    :lol: