News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

help me with something

Started by Drache, January 12, 2012, 01:16:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drache

Now im having a discussion with a car guy on another car forum who says he restores cars for a living. now he says that they have bought premade camaro bodies (those companies that makebrand new '69 camaro bodieis) and take the customer's vin tags and stick them onto the new bodies to save time.

Now besides being wrong i thought that was also illegal? well im not sure of canada illegal but im sure swapping vin plates is illegal in the u.s. or am i mistaken on this?

Technically dont you have to apply for a new vin for those premade camaro bodies?
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Magnumcharger

Unfortunately, this sort of thing happens all the time. I know of many instances of VIN swapping to better bodies.
As much as there is a hue and cry of such shenanigans, it's still happening, and likely always will.

Personally, I'd take a "new" 1969 (fill in the blank) over anything restored, simply because of the advancements in metallurgy, just for an example.
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

FJ5WING

I thought I heard where the Dynacorn bodies were poorly welded and needed fixing.

You say the metal is better, I say its not as good but its new and has not been subjected to many years of elements. :shruggy: Ill take my virtually rust free 1970 body over a brand new stamped from chineese metal body!
wingless now, but still around.

moparstuart

Quote from: FJ5WING on January 12, 2012, 02:04:27 PM
I thought I heard where the Dynacorn bodies were poorly welded and needed fixing.

You say the metal is better, I say its not as good but its new and has not been subjected to many years of elements. :shruggy: Ill take my virtually rust free 1970 body over a brand new stamped from chineese metal body!
:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: the old stuff is better and thicker , the new ecoat is great but you can e coat the old stuff if you want to 

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Drache

God bless dc.com! you ask a legality question and instwad it turns into a discussions between new and old metalurgy on classic cars! :p
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

nvrbdn

:smilielol: :smilielol: :nana:  thats funny right there. and yes its illegal :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Dino

:smilielol: :smilielol:

Could've been worse, question could have been related to a 4 door car!  Imagine that!   :D
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Troy

I think the correct answer is "it depends". Every state (ok, country too) has differing laws. In general, it is illegal to tamper with a VIN number (especially cutting them off from one car and welding onto another). However, many states have procedures you can follow to make some swapping legal (usually you need an officer of the law to document what you are doing). The unibodies can sometimes be considered a "replacement part" which is legal to swap onto your car in most cases. Check with your local laws before doing anything of the sort of course!

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

nvrbdn

i believe what was said was you were able to get a dated vin to match the year car when the camaro bodies came out cuz the new vin would make the bumpers etc illegal. but you couldnt swap tags from an existing car................

or listen to troy, cuz his answer is better :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House